Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most important city in Virginia?
Virginia Beach 0 0%
Norfolk 1 2.44%
Richmond 26 63.41%
Alexandria 9 21.95%
Other 5 12.20%
Don't know 0 0%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2023, 01:51 PM

4,232 posts, read 2,454,501 times

Advertisements

What single city is the most 'important' in Virginia- politically, economically, and culturally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2023, 01:58 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
It seems trivial when the clear answer is Arlington County, despite not being a city.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:31 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
A city's influence spreads far beyond its borders: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_220167032

Would Henrico County residents say Richmond City influences them at all? It seems they have isolated themselves from Richmond City politically and economically. "Downtown Shortpump" is thriving, downtown Richmond is another matter. Willow Lawn and the Henrico County area just outside Richmond City; the area on Broad and Staples Mill are slated now for huge development.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11...e-development/
https://www.henricocitizen.com/artic...elopment-plan/
Perhaps Henrico and Arlington should be added to the list.

Old 11-23-2023, 07:36 PM

16 posts, read 13,246 times
Well, if we're talking about the most happening city in Virginia, I'd say it's Richmond. It's the capital and has a lot going on in terms of politics, history, and culture. But hey, don't underestimate the other cities like Virginia Beach, Norfolk, and Alexandria. They've got their own cool vibes too!

Old 11-24-2023, 11:32 AM

19,220 posts, read 17,075,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
A city's influence spreads far beyond its borders: https://www.researchgate.net/figure/...fig1_220167032

Would Henrico County residents say Richmond City influences them at all? It seems they have isolated themselves from Richmond City politically and economically. "Downtown Shortpump" is thriving, downtown Richmond is another matter. Willow Lawn and the Henrico County area just outside Richmond City; the area on Broad and Staples Mill are slated now for huge development.

https://richmondbizsense.com/2023/11...e-development/
https://www.henricocitizen.com/artic...elopment-plan/
Perhaps Henrico and Arlington should be added to the list.
Henrico is one of the best run communities I have ever lived in. Richmond is the poster child how not to run a government If it wasn't the State Capital they would have closed up shop years ago.

Old 11-25-2023, 05:14 AM

1,409 posts, read 748,130 times
[X] Floyd

I've never been to any of those other places, but I spent the last few months hanging around the Floyd area. I'd like to buy a house there, so that makes it most important to me.

I think a strong case can be made. It's got music, tourism, fiber internet, a Food Lion, and the only stoplight in the entire county!

Old 11-25-2023, 07:20 PM

4,190 posts, read 2,501,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Henrico is one of the best run communities I have ever lived in. Richmond is the poster child how not to run a government If it wasn't the State Capital they would have closed up shop years ago.
Henrico really is somewhat remarkable. From the state of the county address: Henrico’s gross county product (the total value of all goods and services produced in the county) is $27.1 billion – the fourth-highest of any locality in the state. Henrico is home to more than 200,000 jobs – second only in Virginia to Fairfax County, which is more than three times larger.

This year, Henrico has had more than $774 million in new investments within its borders; the county seems awash with money: it has returned $76 million in real estate and personal property tax revenue to taxpayers. It’s also implementing a new program to cap in perpetuity, the real estate tax rates of seniors and disabled homeowners on fixed incomes.

Old 11-26-2023, 06:15 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
It seems trivial when the clear answer is Arlington County, despite not being a city.
Yep, I was going to say Arlington as well, even though it’s not a city. Otherwise, I’ll go next with Alexandria. If we’re talking in terms of economics.

Old 11-26-2023, 08:05 AM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
The real answer is Washington, DC, since although it is not a city in Virginia proper, it exerts the most influence on all dimensions, economic, political, sports and social in a manner that touches almost all parts of Virginia. Northern Virginia is the most important region in the state, but I would hesitate to say Arlington or Alexandria because theses places are just constituents of DC, neither being the center of its own region nor among the largest urban communities in the state (Virginia Beach) and neither espouses the cultural impact or has an impact on the state as a whole (cities like Charlottesville, Williamsburg, Richmond or Norfolk). You can't consciously call Alexandria the center of Virginia. It gets wrapped up in the meaning of Northern Virginia.

My Virginia answer would still have to be Richmond. At any given moment, Richmond is more representative of the state's economic and social climate and culture. And beyond DC, it's the city that gets most associated with the Commonwealth, which isn't a surprise, considering it's the capital, but also the most traditional urban center of the state. Historically, political figures who make it in Richmond, tend to go on to gain greater influence, which is still a thing today, eg. Wilder, Spanberger, Kaine, etc. Also, many instruments of the regional economy 5th District Federal Reserve Bank, 4th Circuit Court of Appeals, VA's Eastern District federal court, etc., are hq'd in Richmond.

Old 11-26-2023, 04:57 PM

830 posts, read 1,017,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Spanberger is from Henrico, Wilder and Kaine yes, but they were a while ago and Kaine (not a Richmond native) has sold his house in Richmond; Wilder has moved out of Richmond also. Most Governors, if that is a criteria, aren't from Richmond.

When Senator Willey died in 1986 it was the end of an era; and some might argue it was the beginning of the end of Richmond's dominance in state government. He was responsible for moving much of the bureaucracy to the city; now state agencies are moving out; Henrico - VEC & Game and Inland Fisheries; Hanover - ABC, Chesterfield - VITA (has a Richmond address, but is in Chesterfield County). The Port of Richmond has lost two major carriers in the past 12 years. Richmond's population is rebounding, but its representation in state govt. is diminishing: Richmond: 226,604, Henrico: 333,554.

In the central VA area, Henrico is the powerhouse now: tourism $1.7B, fifth largest in the state, outstripping Richmond; over 200,000 jobs, only Fairfax has more and Fairfax is larger geographically; Henrico's gross county product was $27.1B, fourth largest in the state; 401 public improvement projects including a new reservoir in Cumberland County.

The courts are of course there along with major law firms as are MCV, VUU, VCU &c.
To clarify my comment, I never said any of those specific politicians were from Richmond, just that they were heavily involved in Richmond local politics, which they were...and yes, that includes HENRICO. Henrico is a county, like Fairfax and it is a critical part of the region to which Richmond remains the center. Even as Henrico has developed its own sort of identity and even post office address, you find most of the major F500 businesses keep those Richmond addresses. People refer to themselves as being from the Richmond or the Richmond area, and unlike the 90s, there is palpably less animosity between the county and city who, at least on the political level, have began doing more things constructively. Henrico is no more its own thing than Fairfax is in Northern Virginia, (or Arlington). It is not a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia