Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2023, 04:12 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times

Advertisements

Would anyone have recommendations on safe, but not overly-high priced hotels in the Suffolk/Chesapeake areas? Of course I can google, but figure it's always best to ask people who actually know the area

Am also open to recommendations in the Lynchburg area, since both locations are in trip plans....

And thanks, all! I do appreciate the feedback.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2023, 08:56 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,619,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
I am one of 'those' - looking to relocate. Lived in NC all of my middle-aged life, hoping to explore VA a bit more in the coming months, and trying to target areas to re-visit.
Grew up in Charlotte before it became what it is now, lived in a few other NC cities, and am ready to find a new (mid-sized!) city, but remain somewhat close to family (I am not fond of the Charlotte growth).

Am mostly looking at Lynchburg or the Norfolk area, thinking I prefer the Lynchburg area but am still attracted to the coastal area (lived at the NC coast for a few years). Am open to other thoughts, but preferring not to be too far north.

Appreciate the thoughts of those with experience!

When are you moving? flexible
Where are you coming from? Charlotte, NC area
Why are you moving? To get away from an oversized city
Where will you be working? Home-based
Have you been here yet? To VA, yes - these areas, in passing, years ago

Will you buy or rent? Buy, ultimately. Consider renting short-term
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? Preferably single-story condo. 350-400K
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend? I can be flexible, if terms are flexible
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? Walk-up

Are you married or single? Do you have children? Single, no kids
Do you prefer public or private schools? Not relevant
Do you have pets? No
Do you want or need a yard? Preferably a small one with maintenance included, or no.
Are you keeping a car? yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? quite

What do you want to be closest to? basic services, and some shopping. nightlife - I've aged out of that zone!
Work
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife
Lynchburg will likely be more your speed as it's smaller and more affordable. Norfolk isn't a large city per se, and certainly would feel noticeably smaller than Charlotte. Like Lynchburg growth is slow, but Norfolk is still about 4½ times larger than Lynchburg--->and will feel like it...

If Lynchburg is too small for you and Norfolk still too large, then yes, looking at more suburban areas in Chesapeake or Suffolk may be the move...

Ultimately you can make your choice on which to go to, on if you more prefer the foothills of the mountains, or the flatlands of the coast. There's no right or wrong there, some people prefer one over the other. Whichever you prefer, coupled with, your decision on whether Lynchburg is too small/Norfolk too big, is where you should go...

Both are lovely enough cities on their own merits...

I used to work in East Side Norfolk while living in Northwest Virginia Beach; VB and Nfk are essentially the same city so I have a ton of information about Norfolk. I also used to live in South Charlotte...

Virginia Beach is my favorite city in the world but Charlotte is close. If I had to choose between simply Norfolk, no consideration of Virginia Beach, and Charlotte, I'd choose Charlotte easily. Lynchburg is beautiful but too small of a city for me. So I'd choose Norfolk over Lynchburg...

Old 09-23-2023, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Lynchburg will likely be more your speed as it's smaller and more affordable. Norfolk isn't a large city per se, and certainly would feel noticeably smaller than Charlotte. Like Lynchburg growth is slow, but Norfolk is still about 4½ times larger than Lynchburg--->and will feel like it...

If Lynchburg is too small for you and Norfolk still too large, then yes, looking at more suburban areas in Chesapeake or Suffolk may be the move...

Ultimately you can make your choice on which to go to, on if you more prefer the foothills of the mountains, or the flatlands of the coast. There's no right or wrong there, some people prefer one over the other. Whichever you prefer, coupled with, your decision on whether Lynchburg is too small/Norfolk too big, is where you should go...

Both are lovely enough cities on their own merits...

I used to work in East Side Norfolk while living in Northwest Virginia Beach; VB and Nfk are essentially the same city so I have a ton of information about Norfolk. I also used to live in South Charlotte...

Virginia Beach is my favorite city in the world but Charlotte is close. If I had to choose between simply Norfolk, no consideration of Virginia Beach, and Charlotte, I'd choose Charlotte easily. Lynchburg is beautiful but too small of a city for me. So I'd choose Norfolk over Lynchburg...
Thanks for the insight! We can exchange, I'll go there and you can return to Charlotte

Old 09-24-2023, 06:20 PM

1,086 posts, read 2,655,668 times
Norfolk--frequent flooding. Lynchburg rarely flooding.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badger74 View Post
Norfolk--frequent flooding. Lynchburg rarely flooding.
Yes, definitely a thought after Ophelia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia