Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2023, 09:56 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
I understand that Uptown Charlotte is a faster growing and larger urban area than downtown Norfolk, However I honestly would have expected it to be larger for city of nearly 900,000 people. Outside of Norfolk there are historically urban neighborhoods that extend the urban atmosphere of the city whereas this is largely not the case in Charlotte. That being said Charlotte has a lot of new urban developments that are extending the reach of Uptown. But once you go outside of uptown it becomes completely suburban in Charlotte with maybe a few new urban developments throughout the city. If OP is interested in a living in a less bustling urban area, than I definitely would recommend Norfolk, but if they want a less bustling suburban area than I feel that they will find Coastal Virginia to be pretty similar to the Charlotte metro area.
I think we're saying two different things.

Uptown Charlotte and the immediate surroundings are NOTHING like anything in Hampton Roads. Uptown Charlotte now looks little like it did even 20 years ago. I can agree though (as I said in the post above this) that once you get a few miles outside of uptown that it gets more and more similar. I still think in general even what were sort of (loosely) calling the "suburban" part of Charlotte is generally a little more bustling than most of Hampton Roads... but it depends on the areas you're comparing. Town Center around Independence can feel a lot like Charlotte's suburban areas. Even Greenbrier (Chesapeake) does a bit too.

So yeah, take out maybe a 5 mile radius around Uptown Charlotte, you can make some comparisons. But uptown and the surrounding areas are like nothing you'll see in Hampton Roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2023, 04:11 PM

821 posts, read 1,461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Then honestly the southside (Norfolk, VB, Chesapeake, and Portsmouth) are out. Because Va Beach in particular is quite a bit like "suburban" Charlotte. Uptown Charlotte is unlike anything in Hampton Roads but yes, getting a few miles from that there are some similarities.

Honestly, I'd look closer at York County/Williamsburg and MAYYYBE Hampton/NN (even Hampton/NN are less of the hustle and bustle than the southside cities). If you want to look at Southside... Western Branch (Chesapeake)/Eastern Suffolk is a bit more toned down.
Thanks! At the risk of getting flamed (I'm not sure what people call it these days), it's more of the aggressive nature of the population I'm trying to escape...I know it exists everywhere, but was hoping the coastal area might carry a bit less - intensity?

Old 09-11-2023, 04:48 PM

128 posts, read 71,873 times
Quote:
Thanks! At the risk of getting flamed (I'm not sure what people call it these days), it's more of the aggressive nature of the population I'm trying to escape...I know it exists everywhere, but was hoping the coastal area might carry a bit less - intensity?
Would you be able to elaborate more on aggressive nature? Are you referring to traffic or the general culture of the people? Coastal Virginia is pretty transient so aggressive nature varies. However people who grow up in coastal Virginia do tend to be pretty laid back in comparison to people from Northeast cities. I'm not sure how they compare to people from Charlotte though. As has been mentioned before if you want a less intense area aim for Suffolk, Southern Chesapeake, or even Southern Virginia Beach on the southside and York County and James City County on the Peninsula.

Old 09-11-2023, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canalcity63 View Post
Would you be able to elaborate more on aggressive nature? Are you referring to traffic or the general culture of the people? Coastal Virginia is pretty transient so aggressive nature varies. However people who grow up in coastal Virginia do tend to be pretty laid back in comparison to people from Northeast cities. I'm not sure how they compare to people from Charlotte though. As has been mentioned before if you want a less intense area aim for Suffolk, Southern Chesapeake, or even Southern Virginia Beach on the southside and York County and James City County on the Peninsula.
I grew up in the Charlotte area many years ago - people were generally friendly. What I've found after returning is that people are overly aggressive in many ways (at least for my taste) - driving, in stores, a general attitude of, 'I have places to be, you are stopping me from being there'. Again, just my experience, many folks seem to love the vibe.
I think I need to make my trip and see how it feels Thanks for the input!

Old 09-11-2023, 09:26 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
I grew up in the Charlotte area many years ago - people were generally friendly. What I've found after returning is that people are overly aggressive in many ways (at least for my taste) - driving, in stores, a general attitude of, 'I have places to be, you are stopping me from being there'. Again, just my experience, many folks seem to love the vibe.
Definitely make the trip. I encourage you to look at York County, Suffolk, or maybe Western Branch in Chesapeake. The southern half of VB or Chesapeake is also quite laid back.

Of course today of all days some idiot in Newport News made news pointing a gun at a woman in a road rage incident on the highway... speaking of aggression.

Really, in general though most of the area is less "aggressive" than what you're describing. At least that's how I feel.

Old 09-12-2023, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Definitely make the trip. I encourage you to look at York County, Suffolk, or maybe Western Branch in Chesapeake. The southern half of VB or Chesapeake is also quite laid back.

Of course today of all days some idiot in Newport News made news pointing a gun at a woman in a road rage incident on the highway... speaking of aggression.

Really, in general though most of the area is less "aggressive" than what you're describing. At least that's how I feel.
thanks!!

Old 09-14-2023, 03:55 PM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest12 View Post
It's all the New Yorkers. They move down for the better weather and lower taxes. Unfortunately, they bring their bad manners. I see this often - I say this as an ex-New Yorker in Tidewater Virginia.

Old 09-16-2023, 04:58 PM

4,479 posts, read 6,230,642 times
Norfolk. Lynchburg thrives around L.U. and a few other local colleges and thats about it. The local culture is very cliqueish, especially in Madison Heights. Lynchburg is a bit better but still that way. Lot of prejudice/racism in L-Burg as well...I mean thats everywhere but people excel at it in Lynchburg. Downtown has come along ways. If you do choose Lynchburg then check out Rivermont, Boonsboro, downtown, Perrymont, and most areas around Leesville Road, Wards Road, etc. Lot of cool historical homes downtown...not sure if the areas are still open air drug markets or not they way they were in the 80s. Fifth Street, Garland Hill, etc. Fariview Heights and Whiterock hill could work but are definately more working poor and somewhat ghetto. Lived in VA Beach and part of my childhood in Lynchburg.

Last edited by TomJones123; 09-16-2023 at 05:57 PM..

Old 09-17-2023, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJones123 View Post
Norfolk. Lynchburg thrives around L.U. and a few other local colleges and thats about it. The local culture is very cliqueish, especially in Madison Heights. Lynchburg is a bit better but still that way. Lot of prejudice/racism in L-Burg as well...I mean thats everywhere but people excel at it in Lynchburg. Downtown has come along ways. If you do choose Lynchburg then check out Rivermont, Boonsboro, downtown, Perrymont, and most areas around Leesville Road, Wards Road, etc. Lot of cool historical homes downtown...not sure if the areas are still open air drug markets or not they way they were in the 80s. Fifth Street, Garland Hill, etc. Fariview Heights and Whiterock hill could work but are definately more working poor and somewhat ghetto. Lived in VA Beach and part of my childhood in Lynchburg.
thank you for the direct honesty!

Old 09-21-2023, 07:13 PM

20,027 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
It's all the New Yorkers. They move down for the better weather and lower taxes. Unfortunately, they bring their bad manners. I see this often - I say this as an ex-New Yorker in Tidewater Virginia.
Bingo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia