Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 01:44 PM

21 posts, read 34,689 times

Advertisements

Checking in for an update here to answer some questions I've not gotten to.

It's been almost six months and Spring is turning into Summer. Winter was a great time to land, looking back, as we got to see more of our property while there wasn't a bunch of undergrowth. It also let us watch Spring bloom which was awesome and beautiful.

We are also expecting our third this Fall. Found out at the start of the year

We had visited Polyface last year in visiting and it's our go-to meat shop. A big part of that is the kids love to go and explore the farm.

The locals have been pretty welcoming. My wife and kids have made their way into a circle of homeschool/unschoolers and made some friends. I've interacted with a fair bit of contractors and folks downtown. Everyone and everything tends to move slower here vs Dallas or Atlanta where we've lived previously. Not a bad thing, but just something that has stood out. Also, people (and businesses) seem to much prefer phone calls or better yet in-person over email or web form.

Our grass is out of control and my electric push-mower setup we brought from the suburbs is not cutting it. Currently shopping for a compact tractor to better manage the work.

We have 125 birds (chickens/geese/turkeys) and are hunting some Dorper ewes/ram(s) to start breeding in December.

All told, we really love it here. The trips to town are short (~10-15min) and out of town are few and far between. Excited for summer and loving this season of life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 02:38 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HyndeSyte View Post
All told, we really love it here. The trips to town are short (~10-15min) and out of town are few and far between. Excited for summer and loving this season of life
THANKS so much for taking the time to give an update! Some of us get absorbed in these narratives!

Old 08-14-2023, 06:34 PM

30 posts, read 14,577 times
This is an awesome thread! Thanks for providing updates on your relocation to Virginia.

Old 10-05-2023, 06:28 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Now that you have been there for some time what are your thoughts? What has changed?

I'm really interested in this area of Virginia for it's realtive elevation, mild 4 season climate and politically conservative attitudes.

My concerns are not being welcomed moving as an outsider and coming from New York state, or since VA is essentially a purple state on the state level that the state may enact laws and anti gun policies that I am actually trying to flee by leaving NY.

Does anyone have any more feedback they can share? It would be appreciated!

I'm trying to find a place in a moderate/conservative state where I can just be left alone.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but there is very little posted or discussed about this area of the state on this forum

Last edited by drinkthekoolaid; 10-05-2023 at 06:55 AM..

Old 10-08-2023, 07:14 PM

7,320 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkthekoolaid View Post
Now that you have been there for some time what are your thoughts? What has changed?

I'm really interested in this area of Virginia for it's realtive elevation, mild 4 season climate and politically conservative attitudes.

My concerns are not being welcomed moving as an outsider and coming from New York state, or since VA is essentially a purple state on the state level that the state may enact laws and anti gun policies that I am actually trying to flee by leaving NY.

Does anyone have any more feedback they can share? It would be appreciated!

I'm trying to find a place in a moderate/conservative state where I can just be left alone.

Sorry not trying to hijack your thread, but there is very little posted or discussed about this area of the state on this forum
We moved from Westchester County NY two years ago. Bill Clinton lived a couple of liberal towns over from us.

We love Virginia! We are in the Historic Triangle - Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg. Nearly everyone has a BA/BS and many people have masters degrees so it's a well-educated population. People are polite and friendly! There are lots of New Yorkers like us. We talk about how bad NY is now!

There are conservative retired officers and some liberals so its pretty mix politically. Perhaps a little more conservative. There are lots of gun shops but, it's not obsessed with gun culture. Between Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Museum and William & Mary College - there are many events. There are museums in Richmond. We take Amtrak into Washington DC for the day for a museum and lunch and return the same day. We are as happy as pigs in ****!

Norfolk has the world's biggest naval basis and Navy personnel is more conservative too. Actually, once you leave the suburbs of DC Virginia is a red state.

DM if you have questions!

Old 10-08-2023, 07:59 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Actually, once you leave the suburbs of DC Virginia is a red state.
This was a great post, though actually I would tweak it a bit to say:

"Once you leave the suburbs of DC, Charlottesville, the Richmond metro area, the Hampton Roads metro area, Emporia, Williamsburg, Blacksburg, Petersburg/Surry/Sussex, Farmville, and Stafford, Virginia is a red state."

Old 10-12-2023, 08:11 AM

2,898 posts, read 1,864,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
We moved from Westchester County NY two years ago. Bill Clinton lived a couple of liberal towns over from us.

We love Virginia! We are in the Historic Triangle - Yorktown, Jamestown and Williamsburg. Nearly everyone has a BA/BS and many people have masters degrees so it's a well-educated population. People are polite and friendly! There are lots of New Yorkers like us. We talk about how bad NY is now!

There are conservative retired officers and some liberals so its pretty mix politically. Perhaps a little more conservative. There are lots of gun shops but, it's not obsessed with gun culture. Between Colonial Williamsburg, Jamestown Museum and William & Mary College - there are many events. There are museums in Richmond. We take Amtrak into Washington DC for the day for a museum and lunch and return the same day. We are as happy as pigs in ****!

Norfolk has the world's biggest naval basis and Navy personnel is more conservative too. Actually, once you leave the suburbs of DC Virginia is a red state.

DM if you have questions!
Thanks for the feedback. Our views align pretty well based on some of the other forums here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia