Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2022, 01:09 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Water chief was worried about supply from China.

Residents of a small community in Vermont were blindsided last month by news that one official in their water department quietly lowered fluoride levels nearly four years ago, giving rise to worries about their children's dental health and transparent government—and highlighting the enduring misinformation around water fluoridation.

https://www.newser.com/story/326409/...ling-town.html

Old 10-11-2022, 12:10 PM

23,588 posts, read 70,358,767 times
Slow news day. IIRC, municipal water supplies have to be tested yearly and the results published. In other words, either the regulating agency at the state level wasn't doing their job, Ms. Mathers was looking for someone to blame for cavities in her sugar eating kids, or she can't read and understand the water reports. Bet ya five bucks she was a transplant from out of state within the past twenty years, or has some connection to a whinge group. Population of Richmond is maybe 5,000 at best.

Old 10-11-2022, 02:17 PM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
It does sound odd, for this water chief to do that. I mean, if you read something online and you're worried about the quality of the fluoride product - tell your boss and get it analyzed in a lab to have it checked out. Don't just take it on yourself to drop it because you read something on the internet from some random source.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:11 PM

41,938 posts, read 36,935,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Slow news day. IIRC, municipal water supplies have to be tested yearly and the results published. In other words, either the regulating agency at the state level wasn't doing their job, Ms. Mathers was looking for someone to blame for cavities in her sugar eating kids, or she can't read and understand the water reports. Bet ya five bucks she was a transplant from out of state within the past twenty years, or has some connection to a whinge group. Population of Richmond is maybe 5,000 at best.
Flouride isn't part of the standard test for municipal water conducted under the Department of Environmental Conservation standards, so no.

Old 10-11-2022, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Flouride isn't part of the standard test for municipal water conducted under the Department of Environmental Conservation standards, so no.
The data is available. I am surprised it isn't included in the general public report on water quality, as it is an item of interest for those who read the reports. While the reporting is "voluntary" it likely is a requirement of staying within any programs, grant money, whatever.*

You may have to go up a level on this link and choose Vermont and the year to get to the charts.

https://nccd.cdc.gov/DOH_MWF/Reports...Month_Rpt.aspx

Looks like Morrisville has opted out except for trace amounts, the Richmond data is there for the viewing and it is a little low, but nothing I would get my panties in a bunch over. Certainly the Fl wasn't shut off, and the reports from other towns show variations as well. As I said, slow news day.

* Looking quickly at the engineer's page, samples are to be taken monthly and split, with one part going to the state oversight, and one to another lab. Recommended amount is .7 in Vermont, with .6 being low acceptable. Richmond was .1 below that, in general. As I stated initially, someone at state level wasn't monitoring or following up. I suspect that there might be higher priorities on limited budgets and such a small variance allowed to pass.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 10-11-2022 at 05:48 PM..

Old 10-12-2022, 04:08 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
It does sound odd, for this water chief to do that. I mean, if you read something online and you're worried about the quality of the fluoride product - tell your boss and get it analyzed in a lab to have it checked out. Don't just take it on yourself to drop it because you read something on the internet from some random source.
Likely a fluoride == poison junk science person. Personally, I think fluoride pills should be distributed in K-12 with an option to let parents opt out. I grew up with daily fluoride pills. I don’t have cavities.

Old 10-12-2022, 04:22 AM

12,365 posts, read 9,473,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Likely a fluoride == poison junk science person. Personally, I think fluoride pills should be distributed in K-12 with an option to let parents opt out. I grew up with daily fluoride pills. I don’t have cavities.
I have read that there are people who believe various conspiracy theories about fluoride (as opposed to quality of Chinese fluoride is bad). There is a lot of bad info out there, and a lot of people who lack critical thinking skills to help them assess what they read, is all I'll say.

Old 10-12-2022, 08:52 AM

If this is going into debate on fluoride, it probably needs to be moved to P&OC. It isn't a Vermont specific issue.
Radon from granite affecting water supplies, maybe. Not fluoride.

Old 10-19-2022, 08:43 PM

I see in the news that the fellow has resigned.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:44 PM

6,336 posts, read 2,889,808 times
It's not really that big a deal. If you brush with toothpaste you are getting plenty of fluoride.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Vermont