Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 10:07 AM

2,829 posts, read 3,172,158 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You forgot Boeing and I certainly don't think that Vancouver is any cleaner than Seattle,
Having been to both cities many many times, I can say that Vancouver, especially city proper, is more clean, with a more organized and well-functioning city center. Not really surprising, as Vancouver's city council spends quite a good chunk of money on urban beautification and constant street cleaning and maintenance.

I live in Toronto so I don't have a preference for one over the other. If I had to choose a place to live, I'd go with Seattle mainly for career reasons.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 10:46 AM

1,376 posts, read 1,312,388 times
Vancouver is a better tourist destination, Seattle is a better city to make a living. I don't feel either city is really that much better than the other in terms of things to do, but Seattle's economy is much, much more dynamic--it's a city on the move right now. Vancouver needs to figure out what is wants to be in the future--just more of a tourist city with real estate driven by mainland Chinese rich investors or a driver of the economy for Western Canada.

Both cities get criticized for the same things from people "back east"(Toronto or New York take your pick)--they're seen as provincial outposts, not as lively and urban as the big cities on the other side of the continent--though it wasn't long ago that Seattle and Vancouver were both basically outposts on the frontier--just sort of small ports. You can have a good time in both cities, but not if you're expecting New York.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 02-20-2015 at 11:52 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 12:21 PM

9,182 posts, read 12,121,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSoCal View Post
You forgot Boeing
also T-Mobile, Expedia, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom, Alaska Airlines.

Old 02-20-2015, 12:38 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,297,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Botev1912 View Post
also T-Mobile, Expedia, Starbucks, Costco, Nordstrom, Alaska Airlines.
...and many more...

Old 02-20-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckInPortland View Post

Both cities get criticized for the same things from people "back east"(Toronto or New York take your pick)--they're seen as provincial outposts, not as lively and urban as the big cities on the other side of the continent--though it wasn't long ago that Seattle and Vancouver were both basically outposts on the frontier--just sort of small ports. You can have a good time in both cities, but not if you're expecting New York.

I do not think Seattle has the reputation to be a provincial outpost compared to the US east coast at all like Vancouver does for Torontonians.

Quote:
Having been to both cities many many times, I can say that Vancouver, especially city proper, is more clean, with a more organized and well-functioning city center. Not really surprising, as Vancouver's city council spends quite a good chunk of money on urban beautification and constant street cleaning and maintenance.

I live in Toronto so I don't have a preference for one over the other. If I had to choose a place to live, I'd go with Seattle mainly for career reasons.

I do not think Vancouver is any "cleaner" than Seattle, it has simply more old buildings in its core. Seattle city center is as well functioning as Vancouver but for different purposes.....Seattle downtown is mainly for business.

Obviously Vancouver downtown has a better waterfront (let's not forget that the viaduct is being knocked down) and Stanley Park right there.

However the Seattle core is changing radically, the entire city is a collection of cranes and road projects...the north side is already very different than even only 3 years ago.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
I do not think Seattle has the reputation to be a provincial outpost compared to the US east coast at all like Vancouver does for Torontonians.
You've never been to the Seattle boards here than have you? Yes, it does have that reputation. Most East Coasters who move anywhere in the Northwest either love the natural landscape or complain about boredom and passive aggressive people.

Old 02-20-2015, 01:19 PM

Quote:
You've never been to the Seattle boards here than have you? Yes, it does have that reputation. Most East Coasters who move anywhere in the Northwest either love the natural landscape or complain about boredom and passive aggressive people.

.....that does not means that Seattle is considered provincial (especially from an economic standpoint) nor i haven't heard much about boredom....but yes they complain about unfriendliness (the famous "Seattle freeze"), passive-aggressive people, the gray weather, etc....

People move to Seattle mainly for career reasons, not to retire or doing outdoor stuff in their 20s.....

Obviously, for New Yorkers, everything outside of NY is provincial maybe even LA!!

Old 02-20-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturno_v View Post
.....that does not means that Seattle is considered provincial (especially from an economic standpoint) nor i haven't heard much about boredom....but yes they complain about unfriendliness (the famous "Seattle freeze"), passive-aggressive people, the gray weather, etc....

People move to Seattle mainly for career reasons, not to retire or doing outdoor stuff in their 20s.....
Maybe now they do--in the 90s plenty of people just moved to Seattle because it was "cool". It's changed pretty quickly, it's a much more expensive place and much more corporate, but you still have people who move to Seattle because they like the landscape of the area--it's definitely an attraction. There's plenty of places in the US that have jobs and strong economies--so even people moving to Seattle for a career often make the choice because they find the region appealing(and outdoor recreation opportunities). If one just wants a career there's always flat and booming Houston.

I like Seattle, though I just don't find it much more interesting or have that much more going on(besides jobs) than any other Northwest city(except for MLB and NFL). I could still move there and enjoy it, but my life wouldn't be much more exciting than it is now. Personally though I don't even find the "Seattle Freeze" to be true, but I've already got friends in Seattle so I'm not trying to walk up to people on the street to make acquaintances.

Last edited by CanuckInPortland; 02-20-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 02-20-2015, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Maybe now they do--in the 90s plenty of people just moved to Seattle because it was "cool". It's changed pretty quickly, it's a much more expensive place and much more corporate, but you still have people who move to Seattle because they like the landscape of the area--it's definitely an attraction. There's plenty of places in the US that have jobs and strong economies--so even people moving to Seattle for a career often make the choice because they find the region appealing(and outdoor recreation opportunities). If one just wants a career there's always flat and booming Houston.

I like Seattle, though I just don't find it much more interesting or have that much more going on(besides jobs) than any other Northwest city(except for MLB and NFL). I could still move there and enjoy it, but my life wouldn't be much more exciting than it is now. Personally though I don't even find the "Seattle Freeze" to be true, but I've already got friends in Seattle so I'm not trying to walk up to people on the street to make acquaintances.

Obviously there are people that enjoy this weather and landscape so if they can make a good living in Seattle is the better for them.

Old 02-20-2015, 07:10 PM

3,038 posts, read 4,774,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonkid123 View Post

I have lived in both cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver