Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2024, 09:54 AM

16,069 posts, read 10,726,642 times

Advertisements

Do urban historic districts or conservation districts generally serve as a bus stop on the way to gentrification? I have seen this go both ways in some smaller towns but wonder if it is a similar path in larger cities. Of course, gentrification can happen all on its own given the right conditions and people involved. I was involved in a project establishing a conservation district about 20 years ago in a small town (<50k pop.) and I go back there periodically and see how it has changed over time. It actually has not changed significantly. Across town, a historic district has changed considerably into an upscale version of itself. Many restored residences are now occupied by law offices or other businesses. It has lost residents. The nearby walkable downtown has gentrified into trendy shops and sidewalk cafes (in season). It is quite attractive for the tourist trade.

Here is an article I found regarding the possible types of gentrification….

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/gentr...il_o63gt2jcad4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2024, 08:41 PM

93,189 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Not necessarily, as an example that comes to mind right away is the Hamlin Park Historic District in Buffalo, which for decades has been known for being predominantly black and historically middle class: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamlin...toric_District

https://buffaloah.com/h/hamln/hamlin.html

https://www.facebook.com/HamlinParkHD/

Old 03-07-2024, 07:52 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
What I have seen in the gentrification of Seattle area is simply supply and demand. As more people want to move into a city, prices go up. Eventually, as in Seattle's "Central District" the lower cost largely minority parts of the city start to raise rent, forcing out residents and small business. Then replacements come in who are better prepared to pay the higher rent and mortgages, and gentrification results. In this case, it went from more than 80% Black residents to fewer than 10% today. This is from 2019 when Blacks were still at 18%:

https://crosscut.com/2019/01/where-a...t-displacement

Old 03-07-2024, 03:08 PM

4,507 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Here in Dallas, rundown areas are improved first, then the new residents may choose to apply for special "district" status. I haven't seen it work the other way. The people living in those rundown areas before they start being improved, don't care about getting "conservation" or "historic" status.

Old 03-10-2024, 10:26 PM

4,537 posts, read 12,397,477 times
I took a Cultural Geography class in college, and the instructor said the first precursor to gentrification was usually gays. When the gays move in, that's usually the start because a) they don't have children so aren't worried about the schools, and b) have a greater tolerance for personal security issues. After that, the DINKs move in, and finally, families with children move in or they are DINKs who stay after having children.

Historic Districts and conservation areas are often the culmination of the gentrification process not the precursor.

Old 03-11-2024, 02:48 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I took a Cultural Geography class in college, and the instructor said the first precursor to gentrification was usually gays. When the gays move in, that's usually the start because a) they don't have children so aren't worried about the schools, and b) have a greater tolerance for personal security issues. After that, the DINKs move in, and finally, families with children move in or they are DINKs who stay after having children.

Historic Districts and conservation areas are often the culmination of the gentrification process not the precursor.
Interesting, The Capitol Hill area of Seattle started that way, with many gays moving in, and gay bars followed. Eventually though, amid the early stages of gentrification it became the place for violent protests, anarchy and started going back in the other direction.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capito...cupied_Protest

Old 03-12-2024, 09:27 AM

5,516 posts, read 8,762,507 times
Here in New York one of the biggest precursors of gentrification has been when neighborhoods become popular with young artists, musicians, and bohemian types: Greenwich Village, the East Village, Soho, Tribeca, Williamsburg, to name the best known. Parts of Bushwick and the South Bronx seem to be on the same path.

Being a historic district just by itself isn’t a determining factor just by itself as those areas can range from ultra posh to just barely livable — too many other factors come into play like housing type and subway access, for example. And of course the sheer lack of housing plays a huge part in gentrification. Never thought I’d see $1 miillion condos on The Bowery or $2 million brownstones in Harlem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning