Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2023, 09:32 PM

538 posts, read 191,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Unfortunately that's kind of limited in the US to New York and MAYBE Boston, plus San Fran if you never want to leave the center of the city. Maybe Philly and DC to some extent.

Which leaves the other 300 million of us who don't want to live in those places.

Most people want iron foundries and semiconductor plants to be located at a distance from housing, also feedlots and water treatment plants. So all the people who work at occupations where people don't want the business located in their neighborhoods, they're going to be traveling to work, one way or another.

Basically this big apartment complex that claims to be "car-free" will ONLY work for people who work from home; for students at nearby ASU whose mommies and daddies can pony up for the (fairly high) rent, and the few people who work at places like Stinky's Fast Lube and the big UPS warehouse and distribution center, plus the few who can commute to work on the light rail that has a (relatively) near station.

I fail to see how, other than making tenants promise not to keep a car within 1/4 mile, this is any different from any other big apartment complex with a centralized parking garage where you have to do some walking to get to your apartment, as opposed to distributed small parking lots throughout the complex. As I've already said, I will predict that within 10 years the visitor parking will have been converted to tenant parking and/or the complex will have bought a nearby property and made a parking lot. Probably happen when the complex gets sold. Which happens, well, pretty much constantly.
Many US cities are developing very fast in their downtown. Urbanism is no longer limited to NYC and SF. It's time to wake up and recognize the changes. Some of the fastest growing downtowns are in Seattle and Chicago these days. What people like Randall O'Toole and IC_deLight do not understand about population movements is, that US cities are mostly losing population in already lower density city areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...wing-downtown/

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/...ulation-growth

https://www.axios.com/local/seattle/...opulation-boom

And there is a reason for that: Because low density development is not sustainable long term. It becomes a financial burden, because the infrastructure costs are too high, which means infrastructure is longer properly maintained, which in return means more affluent people are leaving and so begins an downward spiral, which drives suburbanists further and further out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 10:21 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries63 View Post
Isn't it funny that Phoenix/Tempe has a very large population of 80-year-old grandmothers who seem to do just fine.
Yeah and if they are smart they stay indoors when it is that hot.

Old 07-25-2023, 10:23 PM

3,697 posts, read 5,002,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stadtmensch View Post
Many US cities are developing very fast in their downtown. Urbanism is no longer limited to NYC and SF. It's time to wake up and recognize the changes. Some of the fastest growing downtowns are in Seattle and Chicago these days. What people like Randall O'Toole and IC_deLight do not understand about population movements is, that US cities are mostly losing population in already lower density city areas.

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...wing-downtown/

https://www.axios.com/local/chicago/...ulation-growth

https://www.axios.com/local/seattle/...opulation-boom

And there is a reason for that: Because low density development is not sustainable long term. It becomes a financial burden, because the infrastructure costs are too high, which means infrastructure is longer properly maintained, which in return means more affluent people are leaving and so begins an downward spiral, which drives suburbanists further and further out.
LOL, you do know that the city of Chicago is more than it's downtown and the city over all has been loosing population since the 1950ies! Also the affluent are not leaving Chicago, it is more the families with kids or people in Child bearing ages.

Old 07-26-2023, 08:20 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,500,548 times
Quote:
Dense development actually has two advantages here. I walk 2 minutes to the nearest grocery store. That's probably not much more than it takes for most Americans to walk from the parking lot to the grocery store. And secondly, dense buildings provide shade. If you then plant a few trees, it is definitely much cooler.
Do you envision elderly people walking to the grocery store when it's 110 degrees outside? How do they get their purchases home? Do they have pull behind grocery carts on wheels? Where do they store this inside a 500sf apartment?

Quote:
It's more like the opposite. My experience is, that such narrow streets are much cooler than wide streets. One should not underestimate the cooling effect of shade, regardless wether it is coming from trees or buildings. I am cycling a lot during the summer, so I am always looking for these narrow streets in old towns or a forest to cool down after a while cycling over open fields. The difference in surface temperature is something like 20 degree celsius or 50 degree Fahrenheit. It's a lot.
I did not see any elderly in the pictures on this apartment website. Is it not being marketed to the elderly?

What's the temperature in the summer in Germany vs. in Arizona? I live in an urban condo in the outskirts of Miami and I don't walk to the grocery store when it's 95degrees and humid like it is 9 months out of the year. I know it's been asked before in this thread and not answered, but how do people get to work, doctor's offices, even the hospital if needed? Are ambulances allowed to drive to this place.

I think it's a good idea to try something like this, but it's impractical for a lot of people... maybe the demographics are 21-35 year old single people or childless couples who work from home?

Old 07-26-2023, 08:35 AM

5,426 posts, read 3,500,548 times
One other observation, if this is being marketed as a car free community, why is there a visitor's car parking lot?

Old 07-26-2023, 08:51 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanyBelle View Post
I think it's a good idea to try something like this, but it's impractical for a lot of people... maybe the demographics are 21-35 year old single people or childless couples who work from home?
As a single childless 30 something who works at home, you can take my indoor attached garage and my car from my cold, dead hands. There's no way I'm walking to the store or ordering a $20+ Uber every time I want to go somewhere in the TX summer, nor am I going to spend 3 hours going the 5 miles to the airport with luggage when I need to travel when my car gets me there in 10 minutes.

Quote:
One other observation, if this is being marketed as a car free community, why is there a visitor's car parking lot?
My guess is the visitors don't live in "car free" communities and will need to drive to this "car free community".

Old 07-26-2023, 10:39 AM

50,828 posts, read 36,538,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirack View Post
Ever, heard of Mackinac island. It was a wealthy community back in the 1898s. It banned cars back then(after all they could afford horses). It is still car free and a tourist attraction. There also are the Amish, who do not own cars and yes some colleges ban parking for freshmen.

Car free is nothing new

Beat me to it! Regarding Mackinac Island. I wouldn't include the Amish because Lancaster itself and the communities the Amish live in are not car-free communities. Mackinac is really the only one, now this one.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Of course car-free is nothing new, but how many car-free communities especially for families have been built in recent years in the United States? I don't know any.

The headline is "The First Car-Free community in the US. It's clearly not, so it was corrected.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:44 AM

Quote:

I am guessing you can drive TO the community, but once you get there you have to leave your car in the lot, which is probably at the very beginning of it. The rules are no cars on the streets of the community, but I'm sure you can still have a car, or have visitors who have cars, to get to the gates.

Old 07-26-2023, 10:53 AM

45,435 posts, read 60,638,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Beat me to it! Regarding Mackinac Island. I wouldn't include the Amish because Lancaster itself and the communities the Amish live in are not car-free communities. Mackinac is really the only one, now this one.
Smith Island, Maryland. There are golf carts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning