Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2012, 08:01 PM

7,301 posts, read 13,512,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps you could post some stats about this?

In my state, the only alcohol sold in grocery stores is beer; it's not like Illniois where there are whole sections devoted to liquor. No alcohol is sold at drug stores or 7-11, either. Well, maybe 3.2 beer.
It varies state by state, and cities can have their own rules. We have liquor in some drug stores, beer in liquor stores, and nothing in grocery stores. Royal Farms and other 7-11 type places have beer about 60% of the time it seems. You can buy "carry out" beer and liquor at pretty much any bar.

Down in many southern states you can buy liquor in the grocery stores.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:09 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,072,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Just offering an opinion. People in the suburbs certainly do drive a lot. There's no denying that. They don't have much choice. But you also notice how in every typical suburb there's like a liquor store on every corner. So much so that we take it for granted and hardly give it much of a second thought. This includes your independent mom and pop liquor stores. But also your garden variety 7-11, Circle K, Rite-Aids, CVS, Wal-Greens, Wal-Mart, what have you. And of course every major grocery store carries a good selection of beer, wine and spirits as well. There is a very deep ocean of alcohol and liquor readily available at a moment's notice...to people who spend vast amounts of their time behind the wheel. Doesn't take an expert to put two and two together. Sounds to me like a recipe for disaster waiting to happen.
1. I recently went house hunting in the suburbs, so I can tell you that is false.

2. Again false statement

3. Again false statement

I don't even know where to begin. The only thing I would agree with you is there is more driving in the suburbs. You must live in the south because I never see thats the only time i ever see alchohol in the Rite Aids or Circle K's, 7-11 or whatever. Beforee I bought my house, I was visited over 20 different suburbs, and saw maybe 1 liquor store in each of them. now where I lived at the city, 3 liquor stores in a 5 mile radius from me. Another 5, 10 miles from me. People in the suburbs do not sit around all weekend and drink because thats all they have to do. Apparently I'm not the only one with stereotypes

Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
1. I recently went house hunting in the suburbs, so I can tell you that is false.

2. Again false statement

3. Again false statement

I don't even know where to begin. The only thing I would agree with you is there is more driving in the suburbs. You must live in the south because I never see thats the only time i ever see alchohol in the Rite Aids or Circle K's, 7-11 or whatever. Beforee I bought my house, I was visited over 20 different suburbs, and saw maybe 1 liquor store in each of them. now where I lived at the city, 3 liquor stores in a 5 mile radius from me. Another 5, 10 miles from me. People in the suburbs do not sit around all weekend and drink because thats all they have to do. Apparently I'm not the only one with stereotypes

lol. You are seriously in denial. I grew up on the West Coast. Never lived in the South. Every 7-11 on the west coast I've ever been to carries a large stock of alcoholic beverages. And I've been to hundreds of them. Also Rite-Aid, Walgreens, CVS, Albertsons, BevMo, etc. Too many to list. All carry a good stock of alcoholic beverages.

Best Rite Aid Beer, Wine and Liquor Deals 04/22/12 – 04/28/12 « The Drunken Couponer

Old 05-02-2012, 05:58 AM

6,350 posts, read 11,585,299 times
I think the OP brings up a good point. I'm thinking the reason downtown lofts became popular in my city is the increased penalties for DUI.

Old 05-02-2012, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I think the OP brings up a good point. I'm thinking the reason downtown lofts became popular in my city is the increased penalties for DUI.
i highly doubt somebody bought a loft because they wanted to avoid getting DUI's

Old 05-02-2012, 08:04 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
i highly doubt somebody bought a loft because they wanted to avoid getting DUI's
LOL! Actually, we had several threads about amenities of urban life being bars that one could walk to. When I stated that if you have to be that close to a bar, you might have an alcohol problem, some people got angry.

Now some people might want to live in the cities b/c there is more access to alcohol, especially in the aspect of bars. Maybe they like drinking in group better than drinking at home, alone.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,232,969 times
the lack of reading comprehension in this thread is pretty hilarious.

walkable area with plenty of access to transit (i.e. a place with less car dependency, as thread title states): only the dumbest of the dumb would drink and drive.

rural areas and suburbs where you MUST drive everywhere (i.e. high car dependency): you will find a higher number of people that have led themselves to believe that they are OK to drive after a few because they have no other perspective.

also, some of you must be living in more "urban" areas than you think because you suggest a cab. great suggestion but if you're stranded out at some bar in the sticks or certain suburbs a cab will NOT come get you. i learned that the hard way in the suburbs of chicago.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:12 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
LOL! Actually, we had several threads about amenities of urban life being bars that one could walk to. When I stated that if you have to be that close to a bar, you might have an alcohol problem, some people got angry.
Many (but definitely not all) younger people go out at night to bars, clubs, etc. on weekends. Having bars in walking distance is a nice convenience, not a necessity, but makes life easier. And I don't think walking distance is that unusually close, anyway.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,463,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarletneon View Post

walkable area with plenty of access to transit (i.e. a place with less car dependency, as thread title states): only the dumbest of the dumb would drink and drive.
I'd assume there are few, if any incidents of drunk driving in Manhattan, at least of the "I drank tonight and need to drive home, variety".

I gave an example with college towns earlier:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24102232-post5.html

Responsible drinkers won't drink and drive in either place. But irresponsible drinkers are more likely to try push the limit in the place where not driving is inconvenient while in the other location, they would be less likely to drink and drive. Sure, it's the drinker's fault, but does it matter? An accident is an accident and others are likely to get hurt.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I'd assume there are few, if any incidents of drunk driving in Manhattan, at least of the "I drank tonight and need to drive home, variety".

I gave an example with college towns earlier:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/24102232-post5.html

Responsible drinkers won't drink and drive in either place. But irresponsible drinkers are more likely to try push the limit in the place where not driving is inconvenient while in the other location, they would be less likely to drink and drive. Sure, it's the drinker's fault, but does it matter? An accident is an accident and others are likely to get hurt.
I think that matters a whole lot. Its irresponsible to drink and drive no matter where you are at. To blame it on being in an area that is car dependant is just an excuse. Again, I understand the dislike for suburbs, but you guys are just reaching now for any reason to bang on the suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning