Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 06:37 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,442,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladarron View Post
Development there needs to focus on the street level more. Towers look nice from far away, but if the base of a tower is a parking garage with no retail, cafes, shops, etc... then it makes the sidewalk an unpleasant and boring place to walk. In between towers you need buildings that are 3-8 stories tall to fill in the gaps and fill in the fabric of density. Parking lots, empty lots, etc... look like why nobody was walking around in the Downtown Dallas video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 06:45 PM

335 posts, read 676,330 times
how do you post stuff from youtube?

Old 07-23-2010, 06:56 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,583,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
I've heard people say that also. Outside of all the transplants, I don't see the resemblance at all.
Well here's how I look at it.

Los Angeles has a laid back lifestyle, imo. People tell me otherwise, but from my experience people were cool and actually kind of nice.
Miami is more fast paced, not nice upfront more like the mid-Atlantic region.

Demographics are completely different. Los Angeles has mainly Mexican, some Central American groups, and Asian cultures that dominate. Miami has more of a Caribbean population, plus the transplants from NY and NJ which includes the types of Jewish people and Italians from that mid-Atlantic region.

While Los Angeles does have some good urbanity and I would consider it medium density all around, Miami is known more for having an urban look that is similar to the mid-Atlantic region.

Also, just differences in general.

Miami has a Caribbean, tropical look while Los Angeles has a mix between desert and temperate pacific look(which gives it that unique L.A. look).

Miami is flat, has the more stunning beaches while Los Angeles has the mountains and hills.

Sorry to hijack the OP's thread here, but those are just some reasons as to why I find L.A. and Miami different. And I like that they're different.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:22 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,442,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Actually, Miami is about the same size and density as Long Beach just south of LA. Well, really Miami is just a little more dense but it's a close match up

Miami has more build up however being such a huge international center of commerce and tourism and such while Long Beach is more of just a harbor town/suburb and used to be a heavy manufacturing center.
The city of Miami is also the same size as central L.A. The city of Los Angeles proper (not including the 8 million folks in suburbs) is just 1.5 million people short of the ENTIRE Miami metro area population. While Miami city limits include mainly the urban core, Los Angeles city limits also include some mountains and more suburban areas that bring down average density. The core of L.A. is very dense though.

If you consider "Central L.A." the core of the greater Los Angeles area and Miami the core of the Miami Metro Area, the core of L.A. actually is a bit more densely populated population wise.
Central L.A. is 57 square miles while the city of Miami is 55 miles. The 57 square miles of Central L.A. is home to 836,000 people (in 2000) with a population density of 14,458 people per square mile. Miami's 55 square miles has 433,000 people (in 2009) with a population density of 11,581 people per square mile.

Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 07-23-2010, 07:27 PM

3,260 posts, read 8,767,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Development there needs to focus on the street level more. Towers look nice from far away, but if the base of a tower is a parking garage with no retail, cafes, shops, etc... then it makes the sidewalk an unpleasant and boring place to walk. In between towers you need buildings that are 3-8 stories tall to fill in the gaps and fill in the fabric of density. Parking lots, empty lots, etc... look like why nobody was walking around in the Downtown Dallas video.
The city is trying to make downtown better. Back then Dallas had major department stores like: Neiman-Marcus, Sanger-Harris, and Titche-Goettinger. When Titche's and Sanger-Harris closed downtown went downhill. My grandmother told me Downtown was so lively back then they had so many stores and restaurants. Downtown has so many parking lots because developers torn down old buildings to build new ones, but it never happend.

H.L. Green & Co. Department Store, Neiman-Marcus Department store, and Dreyfuss & Son Department Store.

Titche-Goettinger Department store

Sanger Bros. merged with A. Harris & Co to Create Sanger-Harris

http://www.jfklibrary.org/NR/rdonlyres/811B9D5C-DD2D-432E-B31A-D33AF61C7AB7/33407/365E71EC577E49FB8E5EB28F072A9F24.jpg (broken link)

Now

Titche-Goettinger (later known as Titche's) was bought out by Joske's in 1979 and Joske's was bought out by Dillard's in 1987. Titche's Downtown Flagship store was the 2nd largest Department Store in Texas (500,000 sq ft)

Sanger-Harris merged with Foley's in 1987 and Foley's was bought out by Macy's in 2006. The Flagship store is now apart of El Centro College.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:35 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Wait I don't understand why this thread has now turned into a Dallas thread. I thought this was about Los Angeles? Why is there Dallas & Atlanta in here? There are like 2 other thread going on for both those cities to have on their own.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:58 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
The city of Miami is also the same size as central L.A. The city of Los Angeles proper (not including the 8 million folks in suburbs) is just 1.5 million people short of the ENTIRE Miami metro area population. While Miami city limits include mainly the urban core, Los Angeles city limits also include some mountains and more suburban areas that bring down average density. The core of L.A. is very dense though.

If you consider "Central L.A." the core of the greater Los Angeles area and Miami the core of the Miami Metro Area, the core of L.A. actually is a bit more densely populated population wise.
Central L.A. is 57 square miles while the city of Miami is 55 miles. The 57 square miles of Central L.A. is home to 836,000 people (in 2000) with a population density of 14,458 people per square mile. Miami's 55 square miles has 433,000 people (in 2009) with a population density of 11,581 people per square mile.

Central L.A. - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

I think Miami is closest in development to LA and San Diego - dont let the condos blurr the perspective. I like Miami but outside of many people from the NE, but look and feel, no

Old 07-23-2010, 07:59 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,951,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmShahi View Post
Wait I don't understand why this thread has now turned into a Dallas thread. I thought this was about Los Angeles? Why is there Dallas & Atlanta in here? There are like 2 other thread going on for both those cities to have on their own.

They always are, even worse than my interjections of Philly

but LA is no Hoboken

Old 07-23-2010, 08:05 PM

10,138 posts, read 16,060,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
They always are, even worse than my interjections of Philly

but LA is no Hoboken
I was in my home page, looked at how this had a response, went to it, I see all these really nice and dated pictures of Dallas. It looked nice, then I went up to see the topic, and the thread is entirely about Los Angeles.

And then I thought to myself, "how is it that there's more pictures of Dallas in here than Los Angeles?" and even more videos of Atlanta than Los Angeles. And this happens to be a Los Angeles thread. Some references to Miami but the original post seems to include Miami too, so I thought it off as "okay".

I think there needs to be a cap on Houston, Atlanta, & Dallas threads for a while, there is LITERALLY an over abundance of those even more than skyline threads, and literally those cities invade nearly every thread. And literally there is always a huge controversy in threads about those cities, I think City-Data needs to go on a period of "Siesta" with those cities for temporary time, they are quite draining.

I typed the word Houston in the search... dear god... please help me. (my reaction) lol.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,960,035 times
It seems like Sunbelt cities have built the same way: Miami: ihttp://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Coral+Gables& sll=25.788969,-80.226439&sspn=0.281926,0.617294&gl=us&g=Miami,+FL &ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Coral+Gables,+Miami-Dade,+Florida&ll=25.766254,-80.198452&spn=0.008406,0.01929&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cb ll=25.766247,-80.198809&panoid=pDsqI3zUHSJnBO-41qEsEg&cbp=12,172.99,,0,0.06
downtown coral gables - Google Maps

Los Angeles: pinktaco - Google Maps

YouTube - Driving Through Miami

YouTube - Miami Downtown Biscayne Blvd. North

Fort Lauderdale:
YouTube - Fort Lauderdale Car Ride 3 - Downtown Las Olas

YouTube - critical mass ride in Fort Lauderdale 954
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Urban Planning