Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 05:37 PM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,696,569 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Can you buy Alien Abduction Insurance?
You certainly can!! And this is no joke!

It sounds like something ripped from the pages of a science fiction novel or a quirky Hollywood comedy, but it's real, it's available in certain states, and it's surprisingly niche.

The policy costs $19.99 and pays out 10 million dollars if you get abducted. It's important to note that, you should read the policy very carefully, through.

https://kpq.com/ixp/133/p/is-alien-a...hington-state/

What if the alien can't read and write? I wonder if an "X" suffices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2024, 06:03 AM

61,924 posts, read 87,533,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCZ View Post
What if the alien can't read and write? I wonder if an "X" suffices.
You know, on every movie ever made aliens and robots communicate in perfect English. And right so! Americans are the chosen ones to talk to, anyway

Old 05-02-2024, 08:05 PM

8,593 posts, read 11,026,172 times
Over the years(and I am talking 80), I never heard anyone abducted saying the aliens spoke to them.
That only happens in movies.

Old 05-03-2024, 09:01 AM

22,950 posts, read 28,350,952 times
If aliens are out there, there is a slim chance that they even speak at all. On Earth, we evolved to use our lungs and vocal tract to produce sounds that correspond to certain concepts. We later gave those sounds written symbolism. But there is no reason to think that throughout the cosmos that this is the most common way of communication.

Other species could have evolved to communicate through bioluminescence or electro-magnetic pulses or scent or some biological function we don't even have on Earth. Or a combination of all of them.

Old 05-03-2024, 04:57 PM

8,516 posts, read 6,938,310 times
Given that the best estimates that the known universe is 93 billion light years across does anyone really believe aliens have the technology to visit earth?

Old 05-06-2024, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
Given that the best estimates that the known universe is 93 billion light years across does anyone really believe aliens have the technology to visit earth?
Yes. Lots of people genuinely believe it.

Myself? Do I think it is possible? Sure. Evolution could have certainly gone down wildly different tracks on other worlds, and it is entirely possible that there are civilizations out there than are millennia beyond us in terms of technology. Based on our current understanding of physics (which is pitiful), going from Point A to Point B really fast is not the best way to travel between stars. But who knows? Other civilizations might have figured out other ways to travel from Point A to Point B. It's not impossible.

That said ...

Have I ever seen any credible evidence that we are being visited by aliens from other stars? Nope. I am a big proponent of the fact that the U in UFO stands for "Unidentified." They put it first for a reason.

But it isn't impossible.

Old 05-06-2024, 03:40 PM

1,160 posts, read 637,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msgsing View Post
I have to agree with Mark. It's folly to think that we know all there is to know about physics and the possibility of space travel.

Didn't Hawking say that if you can figure out how to bend space, you can literally make point A be in the exact same place as destination point B?

Anyways, for all we know these "space visitors" don't have to travel any lightyears, because they are actually from earth, BUT from another dimension and they are curious in how our dimension is treating mother earth.

Old 05-07-2024, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Didn't Hawking say that if you can figure out how to bend space, you can literally make point A be in the exact same place as destination point B?
I have never read Hawking, but the idea of "bending" or "folding" space has been around for decades. I am not smart enough to understand the physics behind it.

But I do know that we homo sapiens perceive the cosmos in four dimensions (length, height, breadth, and time). But some physicists do think the reality of the cosmos contains multiple dimensions, many of which we cannot see. And then you throw in the idea of the multiverse ... and who knows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HodgePodge View Post
Anyways, for all we know these "space visitors" don't have to travel any lightyears, because they are actually from earth, BUT from another dimension and they are curious in how our dimension is treating mother earth.
Yup. Personally, I think David Icke is either nuts or a con man or a little bit of both, but I sure do find him entertaining. Part of me would love it if "aliens" are really reptiloids.

Myself? I think UFOs are probably some sort of phenomenon we just haven't figured out yet. It would be like a colony of rabbits who had never seen civilization before, and they suddenly come across a paved road with a yellow stripe down the middle. Their psyche would have no way to understand what was going on, and they would try to put it in terms they could understand that had nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Why has this river turned into millions of smelly stones that won't move? Why does it have a yellow stripe down the middle? Is this the ghost of some great tree root trapped in the stone? Why is it the color of dandelions? Maybe they would come up with stories of dandelion-blooded stone rivers.

I think much the same thing is going on with UFOs. I'm not convinced they are "beings" or "vehicles" of any sort. They might be. They might not be. I think it is much more likely it is some strange part of the cosmos taht is so foreign to our way of thinking that we just don't have the background knowledge to even begin figuring it out. It would be like those rabbits staring at the road and trying to figure out the physics of the internal combustion engine and rubber tires. Impossible.

Old 05-07-2024, 06:18 AM

8,648 posts, read 9,163,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If aliens are out there, there is a slim chance that they even speak at all. On Earth, we evolved to use our lungs and vocal tract to produce sounds that correspond to certain concepts. We later gave those sounds written symbolism. But there is no reason to think that throughout the cosmos that this is the most common way of communication.

Other species could have evolved to communicate through bioluminescence or electro-magnetic pulses or scent or some biological function we don't even have on Earth. Or a combination of all of them.
The movie "Arrival" is all about communication between two species. An interesting movie in this regard.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/

Old 05-07-2024, 06:24 AM

8,648 posts, read 9,163,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I have never read Hawking, but the idea of "bending" or "folding" space has been around for decades. I am not smart enough to understand the physics behind it.

But I do know that we homo sapiens perceive the cosmos in four dimensions (length, height, breadth, and time). But some physicists do think the reality of the cosmos contains multiple dimensions, many of which we cannot see. And then you throw in the idea of the multiverse ... and who knows?

Yup. Personally, I think David Icke is either nuts or a con man or a little bit of both, but I sure do find him entertaining. Part of me would love it if "aliens" are really reptiloids.

Myself? I think UFOs are probably some sort of phenomenon we just haven't figured out yet. It would be like a colony of rabbits who had never seen civilization before, and they suddenly come across a paved road with a yellow stripe down the middle. Their psyche would have no way to understand what was going on, and they would try to put it in terms they could understand that had nothing to do with the reality of the situation. Why has this river turned into millions of smelly stones that won't move? Why does it have a yellow stripe down the middle? Is this the ghost of some great tree root trapped in the stone? Why is it the color of dandelions? Maybe they would come up with stories of dandelion-blooded stone rivers.

I think much the same thing is going on with UFOs. I'm not convinced they are "beings" or "vehicles" of any sort. They might be. They might not be. I think it is much more likely it is some strange part of the cosmos taht is so foreign to our way of thinking that we just don't have the background knowledge to even begin figuring it out. It would be like those rabbits staring at the road and trying to figure out the physics of the internal combustion engine and rubber tires. Impossible.
"Can not see the forest for the trees." Not able to see the "Big Picture". I believe this to be very true. We have no idea what is really going on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Unexplained Mysteries and Paranormal