Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 02:59 PM

11 posts, read 84,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
I've lived on both Guam and Hawaii. And...I used to work for a dentist on Oahu, believe it or not. Anyway, I had a better experience on Guam to tell you the truth. I liked Guam a whole lot more. Hawaii was OKAY. I think it just depends on the sort of lifestyle you want and if you're okay in doing without certain things.
I've been to both places too. I agree, it should depend on the kind of lifestyle you want. Just be careful with Guam's earthquakes if you think your escaping one by not choosing Hawaii. I experienced the 8.2 earthquake in Guam.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2009, 02:21 PM

1,653 posts, read 4,296,055 times
I've lived both places so if you have questions, just send me a message. I lived in Hawaii 10 yrs and Guam for 3. If I had to choose, I would choose Hawaii. No doubt about it. There is not alot in Guam and if you aren't a diver, then you better be a drinker. I was a diver.

Good luck

Jenny

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

82 posts, read 639,223 times
I have lived in both.
GUAM deffinately!
Maui is too overpriced, Guam has nicer people, it's cheaper, better culture, Maui feels invaded by the mainland, while Guam feels invaded by the Japanese, Guam has a better sense of community... I could keep going
I may not live in Guam now, but love it.
I was born Canadian, but at heart, I'm Guamanian.

Old 02-05-2009, 11:27 PM

501 posts, read 1,429,226 times
Both places do depend on your preference and choice of living.

I've visited both places but at different times. Guam was more of a recent trip for me. As I'm not a local for both places, I can only say from a visiting point of view. (So, just adding my 2 cents. The locals know better, of course. )

Guam: It can be sunny and suddenly switch to rain in an instant. The beach that I went to was pretty calm. There really isn't much to do on the island from what I've experienced. You can go into the lake/swamp and swim/waddle around. My relatives did that in the pouring rain. >D I walked through the (quiet) Macronasia Mall (and found some prices higher than the mainland's). Walked around a bit in their tourist trap district with the Planet Hollywood. I think my main highlight was the Game Works as that simple balloon game was pretty addicting. (Either that or I miss a good amusement ride.) Food is good. You definitely need a car to get around. There is a small waterpark on the island but I could only glimpse at it a little as it's covered by trees. (A water coaster for sure.)

As for Maui, I can't recall much but from the overall feel of the entire state (and not just Maui): More things to see, a lot more people living there, beaches can definitely be more crowded than Guam's (depending on where you are), public transportation, bookstores, some laid-back people, plenty of surfers, the beaches have big waves, and that's pretty much what I can run through at the top of my head.

Good luck on deciding! ^_^

Old 03-29-2009, 10:25 AM

19 posts, read 147,636 times
Thanks for all the great input. I finally answered the question for myself after having come back from spending a great deal of time at both. GUAM GUAM GUAM !!! I love it there, wow what a place. Cheap, nicest people in the world , great food, great beaches, less traffic, cleaner, parks, and close to many other islands and the asian cost, feel less trapped than hawaii.
Hawaii, grossly overpriced, no chance of buying a home, rude, very rude people, both locals and stateside people with an attitude, overcrowded, dirty, macadamian nut and pinapple diet, no place to go off the island, closest place is LA.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 26,263 times
Default Seeking info about Guam

Quote:
Originally Posted by beiarluis View Post
I am from Guam. Definitely, now is the best chance to move since the economy in the mainland suffers. But, if your 2nd language is spanish, you probably won't go far in searching for a local hospitality jobs that the most speaking language here in that industry is Japanese. Like what I am doing, I am a real estate agent and the houses here are much cheaper compare to that of States of Hawaii
Hello,
I saw that you live in Guam. My fiance and I have been thinking about taking a travel nurse assignment there at the local hospital. In the past we worked for a while in St. Croix and found it very unenjoyabe. They have horrible crime, and people are murdered there on a daily basis. Also, the locals were horribly unfriendly. I've found the the best info comes from individual experience. Any input would be most appreciated.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:09 AM

5,421 posts, read 6,501,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devny View Post
Hello,
I saw that you live in Guam. My fiance and I have been thinking about taking a travel nurse assignment there at the local hospital. In the past we worked for a while in St. Croix and found it very unenjoyabe. They have horrible crime, and people are murdered there on a daily basis. Also, the locals were horribly unfriendly. I've found the the best info comes from individual experience. Any input would be most appreciated.
The crime rate in Guam isn't anything like St. Croix. Guam is a fairly friendly place.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:22 PM
GJN

1 posts, read 23,608 times
I've lived in both Hawaii and Guam. Hawaii has more creature comforts and robust infrastructure. Guam power goes down a couple of times a year due to earthquakes and typhoons. It's more rugged in Guam but the cost of living is lower. So, if money is a factor, choose Guam. If money is not a concern, go Hawaii. In either place, you are way out in the middle of nowhere. I would choose mainland USA anytime.

Old 07-12-2014, 04:33 AM

3 posts, read 21,949 times
I'm originally from Guam, born and raised...and I lived in the mainland, visited Hawaii several times. Guam, what can I say, it's a comfort zone for those who like to lay back and chill. There's really not much activities to do except BBQ, attend parties, or go to fiestas with family and friends (pretty much what us locals do). I honestly prefer the mainland. Guam is now more expensive with utilities, food and gas..whereas the mainland (depending on the state) the cost of utilities, gas and food IS cheaper! I came back home to Guam thinking it has improved, NOT! The roads are still broken up even more, the construction of the roads takes FOREVER to finish (I'm talking YEARS to complete), and it rains on days you wish it was sunny, WTH?! Not to bash my own island, because the people here are AWESOME and you probably won't find that kind of hospitality anywhere else. But something needs to be done or they'll drive all locals away (like me). I've lived in California for years and there's so much to do..road trips, camping, amusement parks, shopping for anything anywhere without limitations. As for Hawaii, LOVE, LOVE the weather, feels like air-conditioning outdoors and hanging around Tumon lol (tour spot in Guam)...Hawaii is expensive and I'm lucky to know some locals there that are really good people...so I can't speak for all there, but does feel like it's being overrun by hoales...so it's not as "cultural living" like Guam..that's all. Good luck!

Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
While I'm sure the OP has moved on from either Guam or Hawaii, for others who may be considering such a move, I can shed some insight based on my personal experiences. I lived in Hawaii (Honolulu) for 3.5 years and have stayed on Guam for about a month total.

I've heard Guam referred to as a mini Oahu, and that is true in some ways IMO.

Personally, there are a lot of things that I like about Guam. Beautiful beaches, pretty solid eateries, nice people, great weather (although it can get hot and humid as hell in the summer months). Honolulu is similar, but on a grander scale, to include more variety in terms of just about everything. For these reasons, alone, I would choose Honolulu (or Oahu) over Guam. But if the choice was Guam vs. a smaller Hawaiian island, I'd almost certainly choose Guam.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories