Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2023, 01:38 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times

Advertisements

I know it is too early right now, but I was looking for curiosity for a potential trip to visit my grandparents in Aguadilla in April 2024.

For PHX-BQN it appears the only airlines with reasonably priced fares were Spirit and Frontier, which I actively avoid. Fares on JetBlue and United were crazy expensive; it is cheaper to book a trip to San Juan using frequent flyer miles and then book Cape Air to Mayaguez.

My grandparents are elderly and cannot drive to San Juan. I don't drive myself, so I need someone to pick me up. For San Juan I would prefer either to fly United or Delta, but American, Southwest, or JetBlue are okay as well.

So why can airlines charge whatever they want to BQN? Seems like JetBlue and United aren't even trying to compete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2023, 08:16 AM

8,338 posts, read 5,492,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
I know it is too early right now, but I was looking for curiosity for a potential trip to visit my grandparents in Aguadilla in April 2024.

For PHX-BQN it appears the only airlines with reasonably priced fares were Spirit and Frontier, which I actively avoid. Fares on JetBlue and United were crazy expensive; it is cheaper to book a trip to San Juan using frequent flyer miles and then book Cape Air to Mayaguez.

My grandparents are elderly and cannot drive to San Juan. I don't drive myself, so I need someone to pick me up. For San Juan I would prefer either to fly United or Delta, but American, Southwest, or JetBlue are okay as well.

So why can airlines charge whatever they want to BQN? Seems like JetBlue and United aren't even trying to compete.
Because BQN is a low competition airport. There aren't many airline going there because there isn't much demand relative to SJU.

Demand to BQN is overwhelmingly just in two places. Per ARC numbers, 87% of passengers to or from BQN are just going to EWR, JFK, MCO, or FLL. The next largest market is ORD and its just 9 passengers a day.

Airlines don't charge prices that people don't pay. If you are really trying to do it on the cheap, get a ticket to MCO and then book the F9 flight from MCO to BQN.

Old 08-29-2023, 02:48 PM

10,084 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Plus, that flights are "expensive" is relative to the prices of flights to SJU. If you look at the prices of flights from the USA to an international destination at a similar distance of mainland USA - Puerto Rico or even closer, without a doubt prices to flight to any airport in PR is cheaper, even the "expensive" ones.

Old 12-26-2023, 12:51 PM

52 posts, read 99,189 times
I flew round trip from Nashville to LAX on Spirit with no problems.

Old 12-28-2023, 04:37 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,333,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardtail View Post
I flew round trip from Nashville to LAX on Spirit with no problems.
I actively avoid Spirit and Frontier. It seems like United isn't even trying to compete. I already booked an award ticket on Delta to SJU on the outbound and used my $125 United Quest Visa flight credit on the return, and booked a separate itinerary on Cape Air to Mayagüez. This was cheaper than flying United to BQN, plus I don't have to fly up to EWR. On Delta on the outbound I connect in ATL, on United on the return I connect in DEN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories