Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2022, 03:50 PM

689 posts, read 637,966 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I've travelled to PR annually for the past 15 or so years. I notice particularly in non-tourist commerical areas that people generally back their cars into parking spaces, particularly in parking garages. Is this a law or is it just tradition?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2022, 04:46 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
No law more tradition since you have lots of cars and tight spaces in the island. Easy to drive off but the most people that do it are guys. I do it but it has to be my car and my spot that I'm very familiar. It's quick for the people that do it because they are familiar and do it everyday. You make a pattern. Most females don't unless you dare them. I guess they want to go in quick to the house or store.

It makes sense if you create a pattern and are quick but if it takes you too long to do it and you have try 2 to 3 times then it's not worth it because people don't want to be late to the job or just want to make it back home quick.

You see it a lot in the island from the young male drivers that love their cars a lot. They are very particular about their cars and how they park it and when they get it their cars to go out they want to do it quick.

Old 11-18-2022, 12:36 AM

689 posts, read 637,966 times
Thanks, @SanJuanStar!

Old 11-18-2022, 09:00 PM

6,498 posts, read 7,525,332 times
If you think about it, it actually makes lots of sense. If everyone is arriving at an event at different times, backing in makes sense when the even ends at a given time when everyone tries to leave at the same time. It would cause less chaos with the backing up in the parking lot.

Old 11-19-2022, 06:32 AM

4,596 posts, read 6,350,757 times
It has been proven to be safer to back into a parking space, then drive out, rather than vice versa.
Another advantage doing this in PR parking lots such as Walmart or Home Depot....is because lazy a$$ people will leave their shopping cart right behind the car next to theirs instead of returning it....and it could be your car that backs into the cart. During my 3 month stay in the metro area, it seemed to be the rule rather than the exception.

Old 11-24-2022, 06:59 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
I just asked my DIL who was raised there, and she did not know of such a thing. Funny though, that when she uses my car, she backs it into the garage.LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories