Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories
 [Register]
U.S. Territories Puerto Rico, Guam, U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2015, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 6,606 times

Advertisements

I want to move to VI on a permanent basis in about 12 years from now. My wife and I are currently in the military with just under 8 years in and after serving abroad quite a bit, in South Korea and the middle east for just about half our career, we have no interest in returning to the mainland US to live once we retire. We're much more interested in living a simpler life in a great climate with little worries about things like the daily news cycle.

With that being said, here's some info about us/question(s) we have.

1. We have one child, an infant. We may have one more, but no more than two kids is our plan. We'd be interested in the best schools, preferably private. If the public schools are great, I'll consider them.

2. Where to live? We're somewhat familiar with Saint Croix, as the wife has spent time there, but we need some guidance on where to live that has the best quality of life, schools, healthcare and things to do. All while keeping in mind that in 12 years from now when we'd like to do this, we'll have a 13 year old kid.

3. Retirement income will be around $10K/month and we don't plan on working aside from something simple such as opening up a small shop. We're not interested in $1M homes, but we'd like to be comfortable and be in an area with little to no crime, for obvious reasons.

I'm doing this off the cuff right now, but if more information is required for you to help assess how feasible this is, please let me know and I'll provide it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2015, 10:08 AM

85 posts, read 260,866 times
How much time have you spent in the USVI? Each island has a very different feel, so I'd be sure to visit all 3. That said...I suspect you'll end up choosing between STT & STX. My wife & I planned to retire to STJ but the higher home prices, less choices of goods & lack of medical services pushed us to STT. We don't have kids, and I suspect that will be the toughest part for you- but $10k/mo sounds doable, as many things are pricey down there (electricity, food). The crime rate is high, but it's concentrated in the 'bad' areas of the capital on STT. Keep your wits about you & you should be fine.

Good luck!

Old 07-03-2015, 01:55 PM

811 posts, read 1,146,950 times
Hey Spartanator, good luck with these exciting plans! I'll echo Kenningtons: visit and stay awhile before you settle on an island (they are so different from one another) and to make sure that "paradise" is what you're really hoping for. The USVI is a lovable place with a lot of great things to offer, but folks are universally surprised by the challenges that come along with the benefits. It's just good to know the big picture before you get too invested.

1. You absolutely must send your child/children to private school. Public school is really, REALLY not okay here. My husband teaches at the University of the Virgin Islands. Local public school grads enter college here unable to deal with fractions... STT has a fabulous Montessori program and Antilles sends graduates to Ivy League schools regularly. Many students who live on STJ attend on STT, commuting daily by ferry. STX does not have the same educational opportunities, but I'm sure there are private programs there that would be far above public school options and perfectly good.

2. This is too subjective to answer. Every island is very different from the others. My favorite place to be is STJ. Amenities, education, work, etc. are most widely available on STT (and thus, that is where I live now). STX has its charms and some really special things to offer as well, but will be more isolated all around. I have friends who love it there, but it was a more challenging lifestyle for me, personally, than STT has been. It depends on the feel that you're after and the lifestyle that you're seeking. If you offer some more specific info about what you're seeking, I might be able to point you in the right direction. Bottom line though: see them all for yourself.

3. You can accomplish a retirement in the islands with $10k/mo. It's a very expensive place to live, but, as you said, you're not after a $1M home. It's hard to offer more specific advice without knowing exactly what kind of place you're after, but if you're looking for a few bedrooms in a decent area, you'll have no problem. "Bad areas" are not going to be a huge deal/factor for you at all, but information about that will be specific for each individual island.

Your retirement dreams are feasible! Visit as much as you can before you plan to move/invest in a home here! That will be the best way to know what you want and what you're getting into. If I can offer more specific info, I'm happy to help.

Old 02-19-2023, 05:03 PM

85 posts, read 260,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartanator View Post
I want to move to VI on a permanent basis in about 12 years from now. My wife and I are currently in the military with just under 8 years in and after serving abroad quite a bit, in South Korea and the middle east for just about half our career, we have no interest in returning to the mainland US to live once we retire. We're much more interested in living a simpler life in a great climate with little worries about things like the daily news cycle.

With that being said, here's some info about us/question(s) we have.

1. We have one child, an infant. We may have one more, but no more than two kids is our plan. We'd be interested in the best schools, preferably private. If the public schools are great, I'll consider them.

2. Where to live? We're somewhat familiar with Saint Croix, as the wife has spent time there, but we need some guidance on where to live that has the best quality of life, schools, healthcare and things to do. All while keeping in mind that in 12 years from now when we'd like to do this, we'll have a 13 year old kid.

3. Retirement income will be around $10K/month and we don't plan on working aside from something simple such as opening up a small shop. We're not interested in $1M homes, but we'd like to be comfortable and be in an area with little to no crime, for obvious reasons.

I'm doing this off the cuff right now, but if more information is required for you to help assess how feasible this is, please let me know and I'll provide it. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!
Still planning to move to the USVI?

Old 03-04-2023, 09:47 PM

4,419 posts, read 5,151,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenningtons View Post
Still planning to move to the USVI?
Hope their well 8 years later.

Question for you. What larger areas in STT are considered upper middle class?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > U.S. Territories