Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2024, 12:21 PM

1,852 posts, read 867,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I normally fly Delta but can get a direct flight with AA.

For those that have flown both what is the comparisons? It's about 3 hour flight.

For us it's Delta, then AA, then United.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2024, 05:33 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I will miss watching movies but not having to connect is just a huge deal for me.
On my recent trip, I started watching a long movie on AA but wasn't able to finish it. On my return flight on Delta, I found the same movie available so I was able to watch it to the end (by starting in middle approx where I had left off on the AA flight).

Old 03-29-2024, 08:40 AM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
I fly AA first class from Denver to Miami when United is crazy priced. Enjoy it.

We actually just booked AA first class this morning from Denver to Scottsdale for May as UA was $400 more.

Old 03-29-2024, 09:58 PM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
You should be fine, especially if you have a direct flight that doesn't go to a little airport.

I flew AA overseas to Paris and home from Dublin in October. They had the best prices and times for the overseas flights for me for Premium Economy and what a treat. On the way over they had a change in plane configuration and upgraded me and DS to those flat bed seats for the flight to Paris. Now that was cool. Customer service on all flights was exceptional.

They are not on my good list right now though. I booked flights to see a cousin who lives in Battle Creek on them. I booked the cheapest fare, basic economy -- original flight left at around 10 with a two hour layover in Ohare, getting into Kalamazoo / Battle Creek at 3:30 p.m. on a Saturday (one hour time change). This was a quick trip, just an overnight to have dinner with my cousin, and have lunch with him the next day and play some mini golf. I like to see him once a year and the drive is just too long for me solo these days and other family members aren't interested in going. Anyway American changed my second flight so my layover in Ohare would be 5 hours and 45 minutes instead of two hours. I wanted to cancel the flight and get a refund as all the rental car places would be closed by the time I arrived and I would totally miss having dinner with my cousin too. I wanted to do a redo, arrange the trip on a different airline that was more convenient that would actually work with my plans. But OMG, -- they only do refunds for the economy tickets if the flight time changes by four hours or more and my flight time on the second leg just changed by 3 hours and 45 minutes. Really? // They agreed to put me on an earlier flight, but this is terribly inconvenient -- now I have to leave at 6:30 a.m. instead of 10 (I'll be getting up at 4 a.m. to do this), have a three hour and 30 minute layover in Ohare (pretty long - not what I would pick but my only choice on AA to get into Battle Creek early enough for dinner-- I'll bring a good book), get to Battle Creek at 1:30 p.m. but don't want to pick up my car till 3:30 p.m. to avoid paying an extra $90 to rent the car for a second day, so I will read at the airport before I pick up by car when I arrive to keep my car rental to one day. Yes the rental car places that are open on Saturday when I arrive only do rentals of cars by the day, not by the hour, so rates would get bumped from $90 to $180 if I get the car right when I arrive due to my schedule for my flights home and when I'll turn my car in the next day. Enterprise who own Enterprise, National, and Alamo do hourly rates, but they close at noon on Saturday before my flight arrives (way fewer options at a little airport). I would have NEVER booked the flights that I am on now. // Live an learn. Next year I will use my Southwest points, just fly to Detroit Metro (airport is outside Dearborn, MI), do a car rental from there (It's just an hour and a 1/2 drive to my cousins from there. I could handle that easily.) // Unless I want to pay even more money to do something else and forfeit funds I have already paid, I am stuck with this horrible schedule. OK I can live with it, but I'm done with American at little airports with layovers if I can avoid them in the future. Other airlines have been much more accommodating when they change flight times. // Sorry to rant. But it seemed like a great place to get out my unhappiness with American. I feel better already lol.

On their most basic cheapest AA fares which I didn't think were all that inexpensive, you can't even get a voucher to travel at a different date / time. You fly on them that date or loose your money -- fair enough. I think for me it's the changing the flight time by three hours and 45 minute on me, but having a strict policy that only lets you get your money back for a four hour change that I am mad about. First world problem and I'll know better for the future and will plan accordingly for the future.

Last edited by Kathy884; 03-29-2024 at 10:20 PM..

Old 03-30-2024, 05:35 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathy884 View Post

On their most basic cheapest AA fares which I didn't think were all that inexpensive, you can't even get a voucher to travel at a different date / time. You fly on them that date or loose your money -- fair enough. I think for me it's the changing the flight time by three hours and 45 minute on me, but having a strict policy that only lets you get your money back for a four hour change that I am mad about. First world problem and I'll know better for the future and will plan accordingly for the future.
I believe you are referring to the "economy basic" tickets which are non-refundable and don't allow for any changes. Delta has the same type tickets and I would assume that United does as well.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:53 AM

536 posts, read 392,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I believe you are referring to the "economy basic" tickets which are non-refundable and don't allow for any changes. Delta has the same type tickets and I would assume that United does as well.
You are correct.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:02 AM

6,626 posts, read 4,289,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
I fly AA first class from Denver to Miami when United is crazy priced. Enjoy it.

We actually just booked AA first class this morning from Denver to Scottsdale for May as UA was $400 more.
Other than a larger seat, there’s really not much to domestic FC any more. Many of the people you see in FC are elites who were upgraded.

Old 03-30-2024, 09:16 AM

2,272 posts, read 1,666,238 times
We mostly fly AA as we have mileage points. I don’t think you will see any big difference among the major airlines on a domestic flight. I find the seats really uncomfortable on some cut-rate airlines and refuse to fly them.

Flying direct is so much easier that choosing AA makes sense. Three hours is quite a short flight as opposed to the stress of changing planes in another airport.

Old 03-30-2024, 01:52 PM

22,319 posts, read 29,407,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizap View Post
Other than a larger seat, there’s really not much to domestic FC any more. Many of the people you see in FC are elites who were upgraded.
Drinks/food and no riff raff is the reason we fly FC always now.

Old 03-30-2024, 06:32 PM

17,280 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himain View Post
Drinks/food and no riff raff is the reason we fly FC always now.
oh that's not true!

Seen plenty of entitled riff raff in F/C!

I saw a woman 2 months ago board with her possessions in a garbage bag, flip flops/yoga pants and a 1/2 shirt ............sat in 3A. Not sure who paid for the ticket but she was "ridin in da front"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel