Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 02:58 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,844,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

I would definitely take Southwest just on the basis of this comparison. I hate being nickeled and dimed.
My flights to Las Vegas, June 10-14, Hawaiian compared to Southwest. All are non-stop.

Hawaiian basic economy: not changeable: $356 R/T with a meal. No seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.
or
Hawaiian changeable economy: $466 R/T with a meal. Incl. seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.
or
Hawaiian: refundable economy: $627 R/T with a meal. Incl. seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Southwest: changeable $1027 for the cheapest nonstop flights. No seat assignment, No meal, 2 free bags.
or
Southwest: refundable $1272 for Anytime: No seat assignment, no meal, 2 free bags.

We chose Hawaiian changeable economy. At $466, it represented the best value for us, and we will have carry-ons only. Choosing our seats is far more important to me than free luggage. I would pay extra for non-stop flights every time.

Flying Southwest makes no sense at all to me in this case. If I ever find a better deal on Southwest, I will try them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 03:58 PM

206 posts, read 139,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My flights to Las Vegas, June 10-14, Hawaiian compared to Southwest. All are non-stop.

Hawaiian basic economy: not changeable: $356 R/T with a meal. No seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.
or
Hawaiian changeable economy: $466 R/T with a meal. Incl. seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.
or
Hawaiian: refundable economy: $627 R/T with a meal. Incl. seat assignment, $30 for a checked bag.

__________________________________________________ ________________________________

Flying Southwest makes no sense at all to me in this case. If I ever find a better deal on Southwest, I will try them.
You'll be true to Hawaiian, that's understandable (Been doing Hawaii for over 50 yrs (work and play), I know very well how it is there) That's fine, I would never bother with SWA because it is not your preference. No pressure, just do what suits you

SWA really only makes sense to those who are flexible, and watch and book their sales (certainly not their advertised full fares), or... the many who book with the intention, risk, or need of rebooking (especially when they drop the price 50- 80%) + free bags.

No seat assignments (or paying for exit row / 'up-front') is a HUGE plus to many frequent fliers.

You do you (of course)

Old 03-04-2024, 09:09 PM

6,385 posts, read 4,844,562 times
I'm not a cheerleader for any airline. I go with whoever offers nonstop flights and the best prices. I've lived in Hawaii for 10 year and have only flown two mainland flights on Hawaiian. (I hate the distant location of Hawaiian's new terminal at LAX.)

Usually, I fly with United or American to LAX. For Maui to Las Vegas, Hawaiian and Southwest are the only nonstops. I prefer the flight times for Southwest but not enough to pay more than double the fare.

I am ready and willing to try Southwest if I ever find them to offer the best price/nonstop. So far, that hasn't happened.

Old 03-07-2024, 05:53 AM

43,733 posts, read 44,495,603 times
My brother booked a 3 night stay for my dad via one of those booking websites. My brother had made the reservation in his name (as the site wouldn't accept my dad's credit card) although he was only arriving on the second night. When my dad arrived at the hotel, he wasn't unable to check in as the reception demanded the identification document of the person on the reservation as well as that person to sign in. After an hour of hassles trying to contact my brother who had to contact the customer service of the booking site to change the name of reservation and then email the hotel the name change, finally my dad was able to check into the hotel. So beware of this problem if you have family members sharing a room arriving on different nights.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:48 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times
I agree that you should always look at the total price. Many times AA is cheaper than SW and Frontier almost always is cheaper.

I just priced AUS to LAS for April 27 and Frontier is $150, AA is $183 RT.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:52 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,770,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
Y

No seat assignments (or paying for exit row / 'up-front') is a HUGE plus to many frequent fliers.
Seat assignment is very important for me. I'm just not a fan of racing to get a good seat.

Old 03-27-2024, 10:55 AM

3,763 posts, read 5,871,043 times
I have done non-refundables and have had good luck. However, with my wife having chronic issues, I may not be doing it too much in the future. We do fly SWA most as I have their Visa card. We used to keep driving and stop when we got tired. We are too old for that now and usually would get a higher price.

Old 03-27-2024, 03:08 PM

6,389 posts, read 2,724,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
I see a trend these days that I did not see pre-pandemic. An increasing number hotels are requiring pay now or have non-refundable terms, otherwise the rates are much higher.

I still try to avoid these types of hotels and find others that have similar pricing, but it seems more and more are following this trend.

Will you book a non-refundable rate and are you paying in advance for your reservation?
I have yet to run into a hotel that REQUIRES Pay-Now or Non-Refundable terms. Some may be hard to find different rates but I don't seem to have an issue of finding them. What I am seeing is more options such as Non-Refundable, 3-day cancellation, and 1-day cancellation. Each difference seems to be a price difference between 5-10%.

I rarely if ever book a "Non-Refundable" rate because I just don't like the risk. However, as an example I just booked a trip where I didn't need the 1-Day cancellation so took the slightly cheaper rate with a 3-Day cancellation and no deposit.

Some hotels have started to require a "Deposit" which seems to generally be the price of 1-night. If you are there for only 1-Night it really becomes pre-paid. But if I cancel within the terms that is refunded to my card, so I don't find this to be that negative.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:21 PM

9,540 posts, read 16,545,845 times
I booked an Extended Hotel in Suburban Portland just 3 weeks ago. I did the pay. Now Rate, but I wouldn't do it again. The Hotel was OK but if I was paying at the desk I would have gone elsewhere. I said I'd like to be on a top floor, and I was told they only had the first floor. I inquired what was going on in March in Oregon to be so filled up. I was told the Hotel was under contract for migrant workers. It was rather a noisy place to stay for a week. From now on I will only pay at the desk , after I see where Im staying. Especially a week long stay.

Old 04-21-2024, 02:19 PM

21,958 posts, read 9,548,864 times
I look at those increased rates as travel insurance, which I would never buy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel