Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 09:26 AM

332 posts, read 286,595 times

Advertisements

My friend is going to Santiago, Chile and Buenos Aries, Argentina in a few weeks. Hiking in Pategonia. He wants to travel with gummies, is this possible to do in a safe manor? He has a scent trapping bag he got on Amazon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2019, 09:42 AM

2,568 posts, read 2,516,469 times
Not knowing the laws, why post something that is potentially illegal? Rent the movie Midnight Express, for a primer on what happens when you dont follow the law in foreign countries!

Old 10-17-2019, 09:47 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBNCHI View Post
Not knowing the laws, why post something that is potentially illegal? Rent the movie Midnight Express, for a primer on what happens when you dont follow the law!
Not knowing anything about gummies, why would you post this? Clearly it's of no benefit to anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixiemur View Post
My friend is going to Santiago, Chile and Buenos Aries, Argentina in a few weeks. Hiking in Pategonia. He wants to travel with gummies, is this possible to do in a safe manor? He has a scent trapping bag he got on Amazon.
I've snuck gummies into international countries. I think you'll be fine, but I recommend removing them from the packaging and mixing them with other snacks. As far as my understanding has been is that sniffing dogs can't detect edibles. Don't even think about bringing flowers, though.

I've tested this experiment out domestically and specifically hung out around the dogs just to get some indication for their senses. They seem not to have any interest even if the gummies are in my pants pockets. I also recommend using both your carry-on as well as your checked-in luggage.

The thing that actually makes me the most nervous about bringing gummies internationally is that I typically like to have a small gummy while I walk around the city and take photographs and eat food. It's like seeing the world in 4D -- everything is enhanced. But since I'm so public about it, I'm generally cautious so as not to provoke suspicion in more conservative countries.

The upside is that since we may not know the languages real well, you probably will be forgiven if you're not speaking or not entirely coherent. =P

Oh, last thing: I've never used a scent-trapping bag. I'm not entirely sure if I would because it probably eliminates plausible deniability if you ever believe you can invoke it. I feel more comfortable just mixing it with other snacks for "the long flight".

Last edited by llowllevellowll; 10-17-2019 at 09:57 AM..

Old 10-17-2019, 10:16 AM

2,450 posts, read 1,676,763 times
I would look at the specific laws regarding that type of drugs. I know "processed" marijuana is a felony in many places that having flower is just a slap on the hand.

Basically you(your friendLOL) have to figure out if the risk of jail in a foreign country is worth being "high".

To the poster above mine. Are you sure those were drug dogs? I can smell the weed in gummies, I find it weird that a trained dog couldn't.

Old 10-17-2019, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam812 View Post
To the poster above mine. Are you sure those were drug dogs? I can smell the weed in gummies, I find it weird that a trained dog couldn't.
Positive. You can smell the weed in some gummies but that's slowly going away. You have a better chance of smelling it in cookies. I probably can't throw links out here on the forum, but two of my favorite gummies that I believe to be scentless are District and Camino, and they've been my go-to while traveling internationally. Domestically, people should have basically no worries. Hopefully one day the thought matrix will change in certain other countries as well. I think there are few things more positive in life than self-reflection and reading with a quality strain.

Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,736,406 times
I have smoked weed for 50 years, almost daily. I would NEVER travel with it. NEVER!

Old 10-17-2019, 01:14 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
I remember ten years ago or so getting severely "moderated" in this very forum for even mentioning weed in the travel forums. LOL...how times have changed.

Yeah dude, I would never cross borders holding. I would purchase locally if you have a trusted source, it's all over the place as I understand in Chile and Argentina. I think in Chile weed is still lumped together with hard drugs like heroin. I am sure local police just ignore those laws with a wink and a nod, but perhaps not so for local customs agents at the border, who may look much more harshly as an american bringing it in.
What is this scent trapping bag you speak of?

Last edited by Dd714; 10-17-2019 at 01:22 PM..

Old 10-17-2019, 01:27 PM

4,268 posts, read 8,168,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I remember ten years ago or so getting severely "moderated" in this very forum for even mentioning weed in the travel forums. LOL...how times have changed.

Yeah dude, I would never cross borders holding. I would purchase locally if you have a trusted source, it's all over the place as I understand in Chile and Argentina. I think in Chile weed is still lumped together with hard drugs like heroin. I am sure local police just ignore those laws with a wink and a nod, but perhaps not so for local customs agents at the border, who may look much more harshly as an american bringing it in.
What is this scent trapping bag you speak of?
I agree.. My brother in law works in Chile (at a resort in the Patagonia as a tour guide) and said the weed is bad there, but not hard to get.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Haha! We're making in-roads!

I always get nervous asking people if they have something. In Cuba, I was asked by some pretty interesting dudes if I wanted weed. I just trust my own creative packing skills more than I trust getting set up on the street, and I know my own quality standards.

Secondary thought for the OP: if worse comes to worse, just take the capsules and mix them into an Advil bottle. I really think the THC reaction of the pills is lacking. I've never been able to equal my fun of a gummy with them, but it's something, and it's completely undetectable.

Old 10-17-2019, 01:51 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
Chile is an agricultural country. They screen all incoming bags. I had to pay a fine once for having dried fruit and nuts in my checked bag that weren't in the original sealed container. There is no way in the world I'd try to smuggle anything into Chile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel