Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2023, 08:17 PM

3,624 posts, read 3,407,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
If you don't give up your US citizenship you will be responsible, for both Canadian and US Income Tax on your income. So if one is planning on remaining in Canada for the rest of their life, it is best to give up the US citizenship.
A tax treaty between the two countries allows Americans resident in Canada to earn up to $X in Canada, without paying US tax on it. I'm unsure what $X is, but it is high enough that no American I've known, who is resident and working in Canada, has ever had to pay US income tax. Thus, no need to renounce US citizenship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2023, 10:35 PM

16 posts, read 9,642 times
Quote:
If you don't give up your US citizenship you will be responsible, for both Canadian and US Income Tax on your income. So if one is planning on remaining in Canada for the rest of their life, it is best to give up the US citizenship.
If you hold American citizenship, especially birthright citizenship, only an idiot would renounce it for money. That said, nobody would argue that there are not idiots to be found. If one does that, it would be very difficult to reverse it, and re-entry is never guaranteed to non citizens.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
You don't have to give up your American citizenship. I would NOT give up that blue passport for anything.

I did move up to Canada......and moved back to the USA as quickly as I could.

Try it. Move up and live there. It isn't that hard to do it legally if you have skills or education, money, and are young.

Canada is a great country for old people. If your young, well there is a reason why so many young Canadians move to the states.

In my case, Canada was WAY TO CONSERVATIVE of a culture to live there. Yeah, lots of that had to do with being in 20's.

As a forester, the lack of environmental values in Canada was the final nail.

I moved from Berkeley to Vancouver BC to attend graduate school. After I moved back to the US I lived within a hundred miles of the Canadian border. Canada really hasn't change much.

Again, do it. Just don't give up that blue passport.
Never even think about giving up that passport. As a real American, that is unthinkable. It would be like severing your roots, your ties to family and culture and stranding yourself in an alien culture and climate. Even if allowed to visit in the future, the right would never be guaranteed. That isn't saying anything negative about Canada or any other country. We are just different that way for the most part.

Old 02-11-2023, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
[How did this thread end up in the Toronto Forum? It belongs in the main Canadian Forum.]

I visited Campobello Island, NB last June. Campobello Island is a Canadian exclave, meaning it is split asunder from the rest of Canada by the United States. The tour guide at the Roosevelt Campobello International Park told me many of the island's inhabitants are dual US-Canadian citizens and for good reason because there are no supermarkets or gas stations on the island. An inhabitant would have to cross the international border every time to fill up gas or load up on groceries and as there is a limit of the number of days citizens of either country can be in the other country, it is actually wise to have dual citizenship if it can be obtained.
Actually there are two American locations that have a similar isolated situation.

Hyder, Alaska where residents have to cross into Canada for some services, and Northwest Angle, Minnesota where they don't go to Canada for services, but have to cross Canadian territory to get to the rest of USA via land. In Minnesota the crossing is handled on the honor system. People simply call each country on phones in a shed and report that they are crossing in either direction without incident. I am not sure how it is handled in Hyder, but I think it is more formal there. I am not aware of anybody who has sought Canadian citizenship due to it though.

I do know that people who live on the border who have friends living next door to them in the other country sit in lawn chairs on both sides and socialize across the border. Kind of a weird situation.

Old 02-12-2023, 04:33 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
Quote:
Canada, like all other countries, has been forced to sign a treaty, giving the US the power to seize or freeze the bank accounts of Americans. Pay Canadian tax on your earnings, and save/invest in a non-bank not bound by this treaty. This will protect you as long as you remain Canada.

Old 02-12-2023, 10:08 AM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susquehanna Babe View Post
Actually there are two American locations that have a similar isolated situation.

Hyder, Alaska where residents have to cross into Canada for some services, and Northwest Angle, Minnesota where they don't go to Canada for services, but have to cross Canadian territory to get to the rest of USA via land. In Minnesota the crossing is handled on the honor system. People simply call each country on phones in a shed and report that they are crossing in either direction without incident. I am not sure how it is handled in Hyder, but I think it is more formal there. I am not aware of anybody who has sought Canadian citizenship due to it though.

I do know that people who live on the border who have friends living next door to them in the other country sit in lawn chairs on both sides and socialize across the border. Kind of a weird situation.

Yes, and there is one more location, Point Roberts, WA which is cut off from the rest of Washington State by British Columbia. No, not everyone has dual citizenship, in fact I'd suspect most due not, and that is because it is hard to obtain citizenship for either country. That became a major problem at all of the exclaves during the pandemic when the international border was closed and obtaining goods and services became that much harder. Citizenship is not something that can just be bought or sold and is often difficult to obtain, it's definitely not as easy as obtaining a driver's license. In granting someone citizenship, a country is putting their utmost trust in that person that h/she will uphold their oath and responsibilities as a citizen. If one can obtain dual citizenship, great, if not then a single citizenship will have to do but citizenship is not something to just throw away. I hope the O.P. keeps that in mind when making a decision.

Old 02-12-2023, 02:46 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,867,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Canada is a great country for old people. If your young, well there is a reason why so many young Canadians move to the states.

In my case, Canada was WAY TO CONSERVATIVE of a culture to live there. Yeah, lots of that had to do with being in 20's.
Canada is way too Conservative. That is new! I dunno legal drinking age, legalization across the entire land of Marijuana etc. Young people like those things. The one's who do move to the U.S it is for work or economic purposes not because Canada is 'too conservative'

afaik though - most young people remain in Canada.

Your post definitely wins the most bizarre one in this thread.

Old 02-13-2023, 11:12 PM

5,743 posts, read 3,596,319 times
You pay your rent and car insurance, and show up at the office on time. What makes life so complicated?

Old 02-13-2023, 11:31 PM

7,506 posts, read 3,227,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
It worked for me earlier. Wait, just checked it a few hours later; and I couldn't get it either. Weird.

At any rate, when I did get to see it, it basically boiled down to, "Why don't Canadians want to move to the United States?"

It was met with answers ranging from the mild and inoffensive, "Because we live in the best place on Earth," to loud guffaws, often accompanied by, "Good Lord, who would want to live in a s**thole place like that?" And everything in between. The usual reasons were cited: healthcare, better social safety net, less gun violence, and so on. Of course, there was understanding for those Canadians who went to the US for better and more lucrative chances with work (think actors, musicians, other performers; or physicians and scientists). And there were admissions that some posters were snowbirds, who wintered in Florida and Arizona, but who expressed no desire to move there permanently.

The responses were mostly from Canadians, and it was Quora, so in some ways, it was a self-selecting group (Canadians, resident in Canada, who are Quora members).

Me, personally, I wouldn't move to the US, unless a very good opportunity presented itself. Admittedly, I work in a field where transferring credentials between the two countries is possible, but not very easy, and usually requires additional coursework and exams. So it would have to be an extremely good opportunity in a location that I'd actually want to live in. Doesn't matter anyway; I'm happy here.

So what? I would never leave the US for Canada either. However, I might go live up north close to the border (on US soil). Don't get excited that US citizens are anti-US as it's not the case. Born and bred with generational history going back hundreds of years. Canada - so what? It's a nice place to visit; but, why would I live thee? I drove though there in the 80's on my way to the US Alaska. It was pretty in the 80's (everything still was).

The US is always having to cover for Canada. We get sick of pulling up the slack for everyone you know. Then, you just want to come to our country and exploit it financially (while secretly hating us). Stay home.

I would never renounce my US citizenship. It's the other way around as people from all over the world do it to live here.

Old 02-14-2023, 10:37 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,543,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
So what? I would never leave the US for Canada either. However, I might go live up north close to the border (on US soil). Don't get excited that US citizens are anti-US as it's not the case. Born and bred with generational history going back hundreds of years. Canada - so what? It's a nice place to visit; but, why would I live thee? I drove though there in the 80's on my way to the US Alaska. It was pretty in the 80's (everything still was).

The US is always having to cover for Canada. We get sick of pulling up the slack for everyone you know. Then, you just want to come to our country and exploit it financially (while secretly hating us). Stay home.

I would never renounce my US citizenship. It's the other way around as people from all over the world do it to live here.
Quite a snarky response for someone who only said

"Me, personally, I wouldn't move to the US, unless a very good opportunity presented itself. Admittedly, I work in a field where transferring credentials between the two countries is possible, but not very easy, and usually requires additional coursework and exams. So it would have to be an extremely good opportunity in a location that I'd actually want to live in. Doesn't matter anyway; I'm happy here."

You do realize the rest was just quotes from others on Quora?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto