Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2023, 10:48 AM

15,102 posts, read 15,862,695 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Quite a snarky response for someone who only said

"Me, personally, I wouldn't move to the US, unless a very good opportunity presented itself. Admittedly, I work in a field where transferring credentials between the two countries is possible, but not very easy, and usually requires additional coursework and exams. So it would have to be an extremely good opportunity in a location that I'd actually want to live in. Doesn't matter anyway; I'm happy here."

You do realize the rest was just quotes from others on Quora?
What is this paranoia that everyone is out to use them and 'exploit' them and secretly hate them. It's bizarre sentiment. Especially when levelled at Canadians.

In this case, if Chevy said oh i love the U.S its the best ever and I would move there at any opportunity, he'd be like what's wrong with your own country we have enough of us to worry 'bout down here. It's no win for this type. It's shocking how he doesn't get the dissonance in the messaging

Last edited by fusion2; 02-14-2023 at 11:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2023, 11:14 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
What is this paranoia that everyone is out to use them and 'exploit' them and secretly hate them. It's bizarre sentiment. Especially when levelled at Canadians.

In this case, if Chevy said oh i love the U.S its the best ever and I would move there at any opportunity, he'd be like what's wrong with your own country we have enough of us to worry 'bout down here. It's no win for this type. It's shocking how he doesn't get the dissonance in the messaging
My fake diploma in psychology tells me, that it's because of insecurity.

The US politically is a mess. The crazies in the GOP are frightening and embarrassing for many Americans.

Some just lash out, and belittle other places. You see it towards Australia and the UK a lot on here, and of course Canada.

If makes them feel better about the US.

You see this a lot in regards to healthcare. It can't be THAT bad if people are dying in the streets in Canada!

The only saving grace, are the Americans who don't fall for this.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:16 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Canada is way too Conservative. That is new! I dunno legal drinking age, legalization across the entire land of Marijuana etc. Young people like those things. The one's who do move to the U.S it is for work or economic purposes not because Canada is 'too conservative'

afaik though - most young people remain in Canada.

Your post definitely wins the most bizarre one in this thread.
I'm in a house with two thirty-something guys, neither of whom has ever been to the US and have never considered leaving here. Neither, it seems, do any of their friends. That is definitely a weird statement.

My bf's sisters' sons are making lives for themselves just fine, too, even having children. Imagine that.

Old 02-14-2023, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I'm in a house with two thirty-something guys, neither of whom has ever been to the US and have never considered leaving here. Neither, it seems, do any of their friends. That is definitely a weird statement.

My bf's sisters' sons are making lives for themselves just fine, too, even having children. Imagine that.
I guess for some it's more difficult to travel to the US.

Here it's just a 90 minute drive from Downtown Vancouver.

I can see Mt Baker in Washington State out my living room window

Old 02-14-2023, 01:15 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,037,074 times
Quote:
Canada is way too Conservative. That is new! I dunno legal drinking age, legalization across the entire land of Marijuana etc. Young people like those things. The one's who do move to the U.S it is for work or economic purposes not because Canada is 'too conservative'
Canada is "socially conservative" in that it does not accept people with different ideas.

In the 60's it was the "liberal" ideas that were NOT accepted in Canada. I had a friend that was deported for telling the border guard...."did I smoke marijuana??...what do you think I am a college student".

Today, it is the conservative ideas that are NOT accepted in Canada. These days the state is on the OTHER side. Ask Mr. Styen.

As I told my daughter..."it is ok to lie to other people, but don't ever lie to yourself". Canada more than most countries, lies to itself.

Old 02-14-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Canada is "socially conservative" in that it does not accept people with different ideas.

In the 60's it was the "liberal" ideas that were NOT accepted in Canada. I had a friend that was deported for telling the border guard...."did I smoke marijuana??...what do you think I am a college student".

Today, it is the conservative ideas that are NOT accepted in Canada. These days the state is on the OTHER side. Ask Mr. Styen.

As I told my daughter..."it is ok to lie to other people, but don't ever lie to yourself". Canada more than most countries, lies to itself.
Where to start?

In the 60's. So nearly 60 years ago.

Marijuana 60 years ago was not a joking matter to border guards. However, I truly doubt that one statement can get one deported, but whatever.

If you are judging Canada to be " conservative " by that story, just imagine someone crossing into the US at that time. Heck, move forward to the 21st century when an older couple crossing into the US in their newly bought second hand car, have it impounded and barred from entering the US because the border guards found a marijuana seed. A seed that was most likely in the car when they bought it.

In the US they classified marijuana in the same class as heroin!

Crossing into the US today with pot is just a fine, but jail time depending on the amount, or the mood of the guard.

Now I have no sympathy for those who try, because it is an international border, the same border in your story.

It doesn't make Canada more conservative.

You are also talking out both sides of your mouth. You say,

"Canada is "socially conservative" in that it does not accept people with different ideas."

but then

"Today, it is the conservative ideas that are NOT accepted in Canada."

So which is it?

Canada has changed much since your experience two lifetimes ago. Socially conservative is certainly not the way the world sees Canada. We are a progressive, liberal democracy in many respects.

The idea that Canada doesn't accept people with different ideas is so ridiculous, that you would be laughed out of a room.

Last edited by Natnasci; 02-14-2023 at 01:44 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 03:38 PM

7,477 posts, read 3,219,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
My fake diploma in psychology tells me, that it's because of insecurity.

The US politically is a mess. The crazies in the GOP are frightening and embarrassing for many Americans.

Some just lash out, and belittle other places. You see it towards Australia and the UK a lot on here, and of course Canada.

If makes them feel better about the US.

You see this a lot in regards to healthcare. It can't be THAT bad if people are dying in the streets in Canada!

The only saving grace, are the Americans who don't fall for this.

No, we've always felt that way. No one has ever been honest with you before now.

Old 02-14-2023, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

It really takes some real familiarity of a place to understand it. The fact is there really isn't enough differences to justify wanting to leave one country for the other for the vast majority of people. Most Canadians if they were born in the U.S would simply live life as Americans. It would be home and if you work hard, most likely you'll do ok and build a good life for yourself and your family. Same thing in reverse if most Americans were born in Canada.

The only reason i'd leave Canada for the U.S is if it were related to family. My closest family members are in Canada although I do have family and friends in the U.S and I visit them a few times a year - no problems. So close family in Canada, roots in Canada, good job in Canada - it's good - no reason to leave it.

Last edited by fusion2; 02-14-2023 at 04:33 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post

It really isn't that Canadians don't accept socially conservative ideas, it is that more Canadians lean to the centre or left of centre than Americans. It's our values. I understand conservative ideas perfectly well, i'm just more aligned with liberal ideas. I am probably a reflection of most Canadians. This doesn't mean every thought or idea that permeates within us rejects conservatism - we can think and are not liberal moulds - there are liberals who still support and adhere to some conservative ideals.

What you told your daughter - I think it is applicable and good information on a personal level probably related to a personal matter you discussed with her. However, I hardly see a connection between the message and Canada 'lying' to itself. Are American liberals lying to themselves as well? Typically conservatives are more inclined to believe in the flat earther movement or are convinced there was a grand conspiracy that governments around the world had to lie about covid in order to 'control' their populace, as opposed to governments just trying to manage a public health emergency - are these rather outlandish conservatives lying to themselves?

Last edited by fusion2; 02-14-2023 at 05:14 PM..

Old 02-14-2023, 05:32 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,011,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post

....... "The US is always having to cover for Canada. We get sick of pulling up the slack for everyone you know. Then, you just want to come to our country and exploit it financially (while secretly hating us). Stay home.".........

........ "No, we've always felt that way. No one has ever been honest with you before now."........
If you're talking about America as "no one" that statement is perceptibly true and I'd guess that Canada and most other countries have always known that some Americans have felt that way, I'd say for at least 400 years.

But in the here and now I think what YOU are doing is you're confusing being aggressively undiplomatic and spiteful with being honest. That isn't honesty, it's just boorish ignorance behaving like a mean little bull calf growing horns and looking for a fight in a China Shop and leaving a mess of BS behind. If you think you're being honest through your blatant provocation and lack of diplomacy you are only being dishonest with yourself.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Toronto