Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2010, 06:17 AM

3,969 posts, read 8,501,739 times

Advertisements

We used to go there a lot in our younger days (late 60s and early 70s). It was a wonderful place at that time. Even took in a few movies at the Cinemas there,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM

9 posts, read 23,207 times
Not very good

Old 12-28-2010, 09:25 PM

180 posts, read 341,598 times
That area of town was thought to be the next area to boom back when the turnpike exit went in. It thrived for a while, with the mall and lots of hotels going in, then started dying around the time the 90's hit. I don't think there's any real reason for it's failure. I think it's more of a situation that it never had any substance for what people thought it could be. It was basically a stock that people were paying too much for, and the bubble burst.

As for IKEA, I wouldn't hold your breath. And not for Southwyck, but for Toledo itself. I remember having a conversation about it a while back with some prominent property owners/developers around Toledo, and apparently IKEA had decided against doing any kind of probe into the Toledo possibility, due to one being in Detroit already. And seeing that Cleveland, Columbus, and Indianapolis all lack one still, I don't think that'll be changing anytime soon.

I'd really like to see some kind of public space go in here. This area stands out to be as being particularly drab. Seas of concrete all over that part of Reynolds. A big park, some green space, anything that could add some color to the area would be a great catalyst for change. It doesn't have to bounce back to the bustling retail district people originally planned for the area to be successful. Having an attractive area that people could go to spend time could be a breath of fresh air for that whole area. From there, it could lead to higher property values (which is a good thing for an area like that), an appealing places for small businesses and offices to locate, and who knows what else.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:59 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johio83 View Post
I'd really like to see some kind of public space go in here. This area stands out to be as being particularly drab. Seas of concrete all over that part of Reynolds. A big park, some green space, anything that could add some color to the area would be a great catalyst for change. It doesn't have to bounce back to the bustling retail district people originally planned for the area to be successful. Having an attractive area that people could go to spend time could be a breath of fresh air for that whole area. From there, it could lead to higher property values (which is a good thing for an area like that), an appealing places for small businesses and offices to locate, and who knows what else.

I agree that a park could be a good start for something to get going around there.

Old 12-31-2010, 11:13 PM

2,501 posts, read 7,764,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
We used to go there a lot in our younger days (late 60s and early 70s). It was a wonderful place at that time. Even took in a few movies at the Cinemas there,
Growing up in Waterville in the 60's and 70's, Southwyk Mall was THE place to go. Malls were a new concept back then and there was next to nothing to do in Waterville, so the mall, movie theater, and bowling alley were our major sources of entertainment back then. I have so many fond middle and high school memories there! It's sad to think of it being gone now, but if there was no business I can understand it being demolished. Our malls here (Charleston, SC) are still thriving as well as the town center - type shopping areas.

What about a recreation complex with indoor activities for families, since the winters are so long up there? Basketball, bowling, movies, indoor pool, track, ice rink, roller skating rink, ping pong, pool tables, etc. It would be a fun place for kids, teens, and families to hang out and get exercise...could also be used for birthday parties, Scouting activities, etc.

Just a suggestion - but maybe you have something similar to this around there now? It would sure give kids something to do besides being bored and getting into drinking and drugs.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:09 PM

43 posts, read 113,206 times
I tend to agree that it should be turned into some sort of public space or park. It would be great to see a man-made lake in the middle, with a walking/bike trial around it. One end of the park could be used for residential and also there could be lakeside dining. In the winter, part of the lake could be an ice skating rink.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:47 PM

896 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrm2811 View Post
I tend to agree that it should be turned into some sort of public space or park. It would be great to see a man-made lake in the middle, with a walking/bike trial around it. One end of the park could be used for residential and also there could be lakeside dining. In the winter, part of the lake could be an ice skating rink.

Maybe a park like Olander Park in Sylvania.

Old 07-27-2021, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 6,389 times
Yu could buy good leather platform boots at flags in the mod sevrntys lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Toledo