Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,709,877 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Not all conservatives are, but the narrow-minded socially conservative types the OP is asking about seem to usually fall into that demographic.

I *thought* I read somewhere that high school dropouts and those who hold PhD's are more likely to vote Democrat. Not entirely sure though.

Narrow-mindedness comes on both sides; that's for sure. Just rummage through this board and it appears the most close-mindedness comes from the left extremists.

Old 01-14-2009, 01:16 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,614,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brattpowered View Post
Not all conservatives are, but the narrow-minded socially conservative types the OP is asking about seem to usually fall into that demographic.
I read the "definition"...but like "racist", "homophobic", and "sexist"..."narrow-minded" is an extremely ambiguious term. It means pretty much what the person using the terms wants it to mean.

For instance, the definition you linked defined it as "lacking in tolerance or depth of vision."

Ok...what is "tolerance? Is it in and of itself the dictionary definition which means "acceptance within specified limits"? Nothing wrong with THAT one. OR...does it mean embracing every trendy chic social theory which comes along?

Depth of Vision? Can it ever be considered that many conservatives DO indeed have a depth of vision? And have decided our own vision of the world makes better sense than that of liberals? That we truly have examined it from all sides and base our vision on solid evidence, etc?

Old 01-14-2009, 01:50 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,014,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
I *thought* I read somewhere that high school dropouts and those who hold PhD's are more likely to vote Democrat. Not entirely sure though.

Narrow-mindedness comes on both sides; that's for sure. Just rummage through this board and it appears the most close-mindedness comes from the left extremists.
AMEN!!!

And what's up with the recent rash of "I don't like Texas because I believe the stereotypes so prove to me they're not true" threads?

Frankly, I really don't CARE about what other people think of Texas. Heh, in one sense I'm rather glad that such people believe the stereotypes because it may keep their negative butts and attitudes away from our fair state. Who needs a bunch of naysayers and people who look down their noses at others moving in?

As for feeling impelled to "change their minds," nope, doesn't seem to be a good use of my time and energy. I don't frequent any other state forums, so I'm rather curious -- do Texans go to "blue state" forums, tell those participants that we perceive them to be a bunch of misguided bleeding hearts and then ask to be convinced otherwise? If Texans do, then I guess we can expect payback but if we don't....?

Old 01-14-2009, 03:11 PM

1,132 posts, read 2,125,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Springs Rep. View Post
I started this thread not to bash Texas,.....
Again, this is not an anti-Texas thread, I'm geniunely interested ....

Sure, it is an ANTI-Texas thread, with an inflammatory title. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:38 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,959,965 times
In my experience yes Texas has a lot of conservative and narrow minded people.

The best cities are the city of Dallas and Houston. Skip on Austin.

Old 01-14-2009, 04:44 PM

9,191 posts, read 21,881,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southeasttexas View Post
Sure, it is an ANTI-Texas thread, with an inflammatory title. You knew exactly what you were doing.
AMEN to that one! It was done very deliberately to try to stir things up.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,420,086 times
I'd have to know what you mean by "conservative". Do you mean red versus blue? Do you mean fiscally conservative? Define your terms, and maybe you'll get a good answer.

Or, don't, and you'll probably get a political knock-down dragout by default.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:23 PM

714 posts, read 2,933,854 times
As far as I am concerned, it is not conservative/narrow minded enough.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:24 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,961,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by th3vault View Post
Well said. The "blue/liberal" leanings in Texas are mostly the result of transplants and immigrants.

Those two groups are the reason why Florida has gone Blue . But, unlike in Florida, Texas does have a sizable native population that remains quite conservative.

I don't see Texas following Florida down the Blue path anytime soon. (Hopefully FL will get off that path, now that all these Yankees are starting to go back up North )
Like Jluke said, don't be surprised to see Texas go Blue next election. Texas has actually been a historically Blue state. It changed when Reagan became president. And another thing to note, Bill Clinton lost Texas twice by 5% or less. Bush in 2004 won Texas by about 24% I believe, and Obama cut it to 11%. Counties that went from Red to Blue in the 2008 election represented over 8 million people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post

You're correct. People with higher incomes voted for Obama this election, for example.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM

492 posts, read 962,352 times
Texas is basically conservative, but it is not narrow minded. A gal from New York reminds me that a liberal democrat in Texas can still be more conservative than a conservative republican in New York.

The constitution under which the Texas government works was written by Democrats. Until Bush came along Texas was happy with its Democrat Governor Ann Richards.

Under that constitution, sodomy was not permitted. That law was overturned by a not so liberal U.S. Supreme Court, though more as a matter of liberties than liberalism. Texas law does have some backwards standards that neither party seems to be willing to correct.

From my experience, Texans tend to be more you can do your thing and I can do mine, preferring that offenders keep their things to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas