Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2024, 04:44 PM

9 posts, read 2,854 times

Advertisements

Hi there! I’ll try to condense this so it’s not too painful to read but here’s the deal…
I’m a very conservative, patriot, Christian homeschool Mom. My family and I currently live in Northern California and have been wanting to get the heck out of here for almost 4 years. This year looks like it’s gonna be the year. My husband is a plumber with 3 1/2 years experience. My heart has been absolutely set on Idaho, specifically North Idaho; so much so; that all who know me; all have their ears waxed down cause of how much I talk about the state so much. We’ve been there plenty of times and have friends there. Unfortunately, the housing prices have increased there and while we can still find a decent house on maybe an acre or so there, my husband says he’s seen a lot more acreage and a lot more house for the money in Texas. So, my Idaho dream might be falling apart so I’m trying to see if there’s a similar place in Texas? Now…here’s what I’m looking for…
No tornadoes. Some rivers or lakes nearby with NO alligators. No triple digit hell heat and humid weather in summer (unless it’s like a week of it I can tolerate). No liberal ran county or city. No big city. Rural area preferred. Some trees, pines maybe? Some mountains maybe? And some snow in the winter…doesn’t have to be too much snow…Just a bit to play in and enjoy some snowmobiling a little. Can’t be a border town either…furthest from the border would be preferable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2024, 04:55 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
Sorry, but that’s not Texas. There isn’t a city in the state that gets enough snow to snowmobile, it’s really hot here all summer, and “no tornadoes” is also impossible. The only mountains in Texas are in Big Bend, which is a very isolated desert.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:06 PM

751 posts, read 1,481,661 times
Amarillo and north gets snow most years. It seldom lasts more than a day or two, so no snowmobiling.
The river and lake near Amarillo is nothing like you are looking for, with the sole exception that there are no alligators.
There are no trees around Amarillo, nor are there mountains.
We certainly are not a border town, the border is a day's drive away.
It is hot in the summer, albeit little humidity.

So, if you take the snow requirement out...you are still left with nothing in Texas that you are looking for.

Mountains in Big Bend, but multiple days over 100 every summer. Yes, it is next to the border, and there are no trees.

Trees are in East (think Lufkin) and North Texas (think Tyler), but every summer there is oppressive humidity and heat.

There is quite literally no place in Texas that meets more than 1 of your requirements.

Old 03-26-2024, 07:30 PM

4,503 posts, read 2,651,635 times
Coeur D'Alene ID is just at 1000 miles north of Amarillo. (and considerably west). Most of Texas is south of Amarillo. You really ought to study a map. There is simply NO WAY anywhere in Texas is going to have a climate like that of Northern Idaho.

Old 03-26-2024, 08:37 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
I'm going to just say this ... grew up in the swamps and lowlands of SE Tx and SW La. and I'd rather be around 1,000 alligators than 1 grizzly. They're much more predictable and much easier to avoid when out in nature. FTR, my father spent 25 years in Alaska, some as a guide and supporting a guide service and at least 12 years in the bush east of Fairbanks gold mining a 1 man claim. Lotta griz and he had some crazy stories.

Now the temps and humidity I can understand. But, I'm acclimated (lived in mid Maine almost 2 years . . . screw that cold . . . it can kill you pretty easily with just a small slip up). My Canadian wife has the same opinion. She left Canada in 1994 and refuses to move back (but she did leave Texas to take a contract in Maine but her mom lived just across the border and was quite ill). She refuses to go back north and loves the heat. Pool and lake time makes it bearable and even enjoyable (to her). Snow, well, it happens but not to the point of participating in winter sports. I don't like snow . . . it's like SE Texas grass ... may look nice sometimes but it is really a PIA. I just see work !

Political climate here is fine if you stay out of the metro areas. Rural areas are very conservative if you stay out of the Rio Grande Valley.

Red = Repub

A lot of your perception of Texas is just perception and mindset heavily tilted toward Idaho.

The 2 regions that have the political climate you might like would be East Texas and west and south of Ft. Worth. Tornadoes seem more a Panhandle and Red River region phenomena (build a storm shelter).

Old 03-26-2024, 10:28 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies and your time to give me your input. I really appreciate it. I realize Texas is very different from Idaho except for the political climate. Okay, so snow is a definite no lol got it! When I was researching, according to google, Amarillo has the coolest weather but it’s in tornado alley so that’s not gonna be a good suit. Based on what I’ve already stated in the previous post, if you were me with a family with all those things in mind, and you had to move to Texas, what parts or areas would you be looking in? (Least tornadoes, conservative, rural, more tolerable to be outdoors a lot, and less alligators to swim with?) I’m sorry if I seem exasperating; it’s just Texas is so big…I’m trying to narrow down my list of places to be looking in. Thanks again y’all!

Old 03-27-2024, 04:58 AM

18,123 posts, read 25,266,042 times
This post doesn’t make sense to me but I’ll go along with it

North Texas is in the tornado alley but gets snow, I doubt they get more than 6” per year.
South Texas summers are 6-9 months long
95% of Texas is flat and most of Texas mountains are far West amd close to Mexico

BTW, why does it have to be Texas?
Why can’t it be other state?

Old 03-27-2024, 06:28 AM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedMamaBear87 View Post
Thank you everyone for your replies and your time to give me your input. I really appreciate it. I realize Texas is very different from Idaho except for the political climate. Okay, so snow is a definite no lol got it! When I was researching, according to google, Amarillo has the coolest weather but it’s in tornado alley so that’s not gonna be a good suit. Based on what I’ve already stated in the previous post, if you were me with a family with all those things in mind, and you had to move to Texas, what parts or areas would you be looking in? (Least tornadoes, conservative, rural, more tolerable to be outdoors a lot, and less alligators to swim with?) I’m sorry if I seem exasperating; it’s just Texas is so big…I’m trying to narrow down my list of places to be looking in. Thanks again y’all!
Im curious as to why your heart is set on Texas? What you are describing isnt Texas. Other states would be better fits for what you seem to be looking for. On a political level, Texas is definitely red, but is not as red as a place like Idaho. In the last election, it was 55/45 red to blue.

My first thought would have been Western South Dakota for you. It checks a lot of boxes.

Old 03-27-2024, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Im curious as to why your heart is set on Texas? What you are describing isnt Texas. Other states would be better fits for what you seem to be looking for. On a political level, Texas is definitely red, but is not as red as a place like Idaho. In the last election, it was 55/45 red to blue.

My first thought would have been Western South Dakota for you. It checks a lot of boxes.
My heart isn’t set on Texas…it’s set on Idaho but my husband has told me it’s either gonna be Idaho or Texas and Idaho has gotten pricey and he’s appealing to Texas cause of how more affordable it is there which I understand. But he’s just looking at prices of housing with some acres, he’s not looking at all the things like the climate and things that we’re not used to dealing with like very hot and humid weather and tornadoes etc. Maybe he doesn’t see those things as a big deal but I kinda do so if I have to go to Texas, I’m gonna try to go where it’s the most tolerable since it’s already gonna be a hard change for me going there to begin with. I’d much prefer the north, Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota. But we don’t have friends or family in either of those states or people we know to connect with. We have friends and family in Idaho and friends and family in Texas. I’ve thought about Arizona near Flagstaff area cause it’s cooler there and not so hot, but I hear that Arizona is turning into a blue state as well. And Utah is too expensive.

Old 03-27-2024, 12:12 PM

8,319 posts, read 5,478,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReformedMamaBear87 View Post
My heart isn’t set on Texas…it’s set on Idaho but my husband has told me it’s either gonna be Idaho or Texas and Idaho has gotten pricey and he’s appealing to Texas cause of how more affordable it is there which I understand. But he’s just looking at prices of housing with some acres, he’s not looking at all the things like the climate and things that we’re not used to dealing with like very hot and humid weather and tornadoes etc. Maybe he doesn’t see those things as a big deal but I kinda do so if I have to go to Texas, I’m gonna try to go where it’s the most tolerable since it’s already gonna be a hard change for me going there to begin with. I’d much prefer the north, Wyoming or Montana or South Dakota. But we don’t have friends or family in either of those states or people we know to connect with. We have friends and family in Idaho and friends and family in Texas. I’ve thought about Arizona near Flagstaff area cause it’s cooler there and not so hot, but I hear that Arizona is turning into a blue state as well. And Utah is too expensive.
Where in Texas are your friends and family? If Texas is it, would where they live impact where you would want to be?

This is just my opinion, but I don't know that its a good idea to move to a state that is growing rapidly for political reasons. There are too many moving variables. Texas is changing and while I don't see it becoming California any time soon, the locals here complain a lot about the changes that are taking place and they aren't slowing down. Granted almost all those changes are occurring in DFW, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, and all the land between, but it will impact the state at some point.

I think that coupled with the desires that you have out of a place to live make Texas not a good fit IMO. The politics are what you want for now and they probably will be for at least another 10 years, but there is no place in Texas East of the Mountains that doesn't get tornadoes and triple digit heat. There are some pretty areas East of the Mountains like the Piney Woods or Palo Duro Canyon, but they have no where near the beauty of a place like Idaho.

All in all Amarillo sounds like the only place in Texas that could fit the bill, but its just barely in the state. Its so far removed from everything. Its just barely further to Denver as it is to Dallas. For example if youre family is in the DFW area or anywhere east of 281, Oklahoma City or Tulsa would actually be closer. Im not suggesting those place as alternatives, just making a geographical point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas