Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 09:24 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,070,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCROYALS View Post
When I moved out in January, the moving company even told me that they are actually doing well because all of a sudden a lot of people are leaving Houston - the most he had seen. To make matters worse is that most of those leaving are highly educated and are going to places like Denver, Seattle, Boston and even Dallas or Austin. Therefore, Houston is losing its collective IQ. There was an article in the chronicle recently that local "experts" are concerned about Houston's future due to educated people leaving
I've seen recent articles in places like Forbes basically saying the opposite of this. Austin AND Houston attracting large numbers of new grads and young professionals (people go where the jobs are, after all.) So who knows what that moving guy was talking about.... may only apply to certain parts of town like Clear Lake because of NASA cuts.

And though Houston has its issues like any big city, I think your negative assesments are exaggerated. Just my opinion. I also get really tired of hearing all the bashing and the "insecurity" card. And I'm not even from Houston.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:11 AM

882 posts, read 2,249,716 times
It's really only a select group of Houston posters, I would assume most just don't waste their time getting into these discussions. I mean, I used to keep up with CD a lot more, but so many of these discussions were getting so monotonous. No point rekindling the same heated debates. Unfortunately, it does seem like for some aforementioned reasons, Houston posters struggled to eliminate bias when discussing and caused some detriment to Houston's image. (then again, nobody should base a city's people off of some online forum)

Anyway, as someone from the Houston area, you can't ignore all the things that Dallas has done and is doing to urbanize itself and increase it's aesthetic appeal. Houston has finally picked up construction: it's got various residential projects all over the city, Uptown is seeing a mini-boom in projects, and the TMC just keeps growing.

Downtown has slowed to a crawl, and unfortunately, our LRT isn't where it's supposed to be. As of now, I believe there are only 2 lines seeing construction, which is good, but the 2 best proposed lines aren't going live anytime soon. It finally seems like Houston has decided to tap into the bayou's potential, and projects in Brays bayou by Hermann Park/TMC are coming along nicely with new trails, lanscaping, heck, there's even a flashy, pedestrian bridge that seems like something Dallas would be doing. Construction is finally coming to redo a good stretch of Buffalo Bayou that should transform the area.

Compare the areas surrounding our Downtown with Dallas though, and Dallas just blows Houston out of the water. I mean you can see the beginning of an decent urban core forming. Driving by is a lot more pleasant to the eye than Houston. Let's be honest, despite it feeling forced, Dallas' aim for urbanity is appealing, and it does have much better skyscrapers to look at. I still think Houston overall is more impressive, but when you just look at Dallas immediate urban core, we are simply lagging. And that's not something that should pain us to confess. It's just an observation, and you have to give credit where credit is due.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:29 AM

37 posts, read 59,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthmoreAve View Post
It's really only a select group of Houston posters, I would assume most just don't waste their time getting into these discussions. I mean, I used to keep up with CD a lot more, but so many of these discussions were getting so monotonous. No point rekindling the same heated debates. Unfortunately, it does seem like for some aforementioned reasons, Houston posters struggled to eliminate bias when discussing and caused some detriment to Houston's image. (then again, nobody should base a city's people off of some online forum)

Anyway, as someone from the Houston area, you can't ignore all the things that Dallas has done and is doing to urbanize itself and increase it's aesthetic appeal. Houston has finally picked up construction: it's got various residential projects all over the city, Uptown is seeing a mini-boom in projects, and the TMC just keeps growing.

Downtown has slowed to a crawl, and unfortunately, our LRT isn't where it's supposed to be. As of now, I believe there are only 2 lines seeing construction, which is good, but the 2 best proposed lines aren't going live anytime soon. It finally seems like Houston has decided to tap into the bayou's potential, and projects in Brays bayou by Hermann Park/TMC are coming along nicely with new trails, lanscaping, heck, there's even a flashy, pedestrian bridge that seems like something Dallas would be doing. Construction is finally coming to redo a good stretch of Buffalo Bayou that should transform the area.

Compare the areas surrounding our Downtown with Dallas though, and Dallas just blows Houston out of the water. I mean you can see the beginning of an decent urban core forming. Driving by is a lot more pleasant to the eye than Houston. Let's be honest, despite it feeling forced, Dallas' aim for urbanity is appealing, and it does have much better skyscrapers to look at. I still think Houston overall is more impressive, but when you just look at Dallas immediate urban core, we are simply lagging. And that's not something that should pain us to confess. It's just an observation, and you have to give credit where credit is due.
Good points. I am not insecure about where I grew up (NYC). I will be the first one to tell you NYC has it flaws. I don't need to paint a rosey picture or fabricate any truths about NYC, because it is NYC and that is why it is so great. It is the most sought after city in the U.S. Although the Houston people would try to convince that more young people dream across the country about living in Houston over NYC. In college dorms all over the land, young people are just dying to pack up the car and head down to Houston. Who needs NYC, Seattle, Chicago, L.A.,Miami, San Francisco, Portland, Austin, Denver or Washington D.C. when you have Houston??

In all honesty Houston does have good qualities, but the people take away from it. Houston has great food (better than NYC in my opinion), an awesome sports atmosphere with the Houston Texans, one of the best zoos in the country (and I am not talking about 610) and an amazing museum district that puts most other cities to shame. However, the people in Houston are so miserable and bitter that they are not any of those cities mentioned above. They try to make Houston be something it's not and it is beyond annoying. They are bitter that Dallas and Austin get all of the publicity and Texas glory, but that is just the way it is.

Old 07-07-2012, 10:40 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,953,846 times
Quote:
Good points. I am not insecure about where I grew up (NYC). I will be the first one to tell you NYC has it flaws. I don't need to paint a rosey picture or fabricate any truths about NYC, because it is NYC and that is why it is so great. It is the most sought after city in the U.S. Although the Houston people would try to convince that more young people dream across the country about living in Houston over NYC. In college dorms all over the land, young people are just dying to pack up the car and head down to Houston. Who needs NYC, Seattle, Chicago, L.A.,Miami, San Francisco, Portland, Austin, Denver or Washington D.C. when you have Houston??

In all honesty Houston does have good qualities, but the people take away from it. Houston has great food (better than NYC in my opinion), an awesome sports atmosphere with the Houston Texans, one of the best zoos in the country (and I am not talking about 610) and an amazing museum district that puts most other cities to shame. However, the people in Houston are so miserable and bitter that they are not any of those cities mentioned above. They try to make Houston be something it's not and it is beyond annoying. They are bitter that Dallas and Austin get all of the publicity and Texas glory, but that is just the way it is.
I really don't think ALL Houstonians are "so miserable and bitter" that they feel the need to put down other cities. They love their city just like anyone else....

Old 07-07-2012, 11:00 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,475,556 times
Quote:

OUCH!!!..

Old 07-07-2012, 03:35 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,282,542 times
Quote:

Old 07-07-2012, 03:39 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,822,949 times

MOD NOTE:

This thread is reopened - with these reminders to all:

1 - Copyrighted photos - post links only per TOS - disclaimers won't work - if they're not your pictures, post link!

2 - Personal attacks/name calling/insults/rude posts will not be tolerated - infractions will be issued per TOS

3 - Discussion of other members is not permitted, period.

4 - Bashing a state/city/community/group of people is not permitted per TOS.

5 - Do not feed the Trolls - use the report feature instead.

6 - Stick to the Topic of the Thread - hijacking a thread is against TOS

Thread is now reopened!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-07-2012 at 05:34 PM..

Old 07-07-2012, 08:51 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,650,474 times
Quote:
I see your point. I do believe Houston has some good qualities, but there are many negative factors ruining the quality of life. I moved to Houston in 2007. It was booming when I came down and then literally overnight in 2010ish, things just came to a halt. Part of it was the beginning of the Parker years, but also gang violence and Moderator cut: see comment Now with NASA being put on the back burner Moderator cut: see comment, Houston is no longer looking so strong. When I moved out in January, the moving company even told me that they are actually doing well because all of a sudden a lot of people are leaving Houston - the most he had seen. To make matters worse is that most of those leaving are highly educated and are going to places like Denver, Seattle, Boston and even Dallas or Austin. Therefore, Houston is losing its collective IQ. There was an article in the chronicle recently that local "experts" are concerned about Houston's future due to educated people leaving Moderator cut: see comment. It's a shame because it was nice when I came down in 2007, but even I noticed Houston go down hill in that short time.
Please, Let's kill the generalization, biased attitude and clear bitterness you have towards Houston. It's one thing to express you're dislikes. But When you speak of Gang violence Moderator cut: orphaned it almost comes off like you're somewhat delusional. Those generalizations are far from the truth and i'm the one that created the thread. Some of the cities you named like Chicago, NYC, LA, Miami, Washington D.C. and Dallas have more crime then Houston. You will definitely run into more gang violence in Chicago and L.A. then you will in Houston. Trust me, it's some places you can't even go to in L.A. because of the color of you're wardrobe and you skin complexion. Chicago, some places you can't even wear a normal fitted hat in any kind of way without getting shot at. But I guess since those cities are more segregated then that doesn't affect your quality of life huh? I moved to Houston in 2009 and have yet to experience any gang violence Moderator cut: orphaned. Last time I did get involved in some "gang" interaction was when I was in North Dallas for wearing a red L.A. Clippers jersey. Never had that problem here in Houston. Exactly how is Houston not looking strong when more and more people are moving due to the economy and affordability? Houston is always on the top 10 or top anything when it comes to cities to go to for etc. I would love to see some sources to your claim that Houston is losing "intelligent" residents. I'll wait on that article in the chronicle btw. And yes I believe you're new best friend Larry the moving guy who just informed you out the blue that so many people are moving out of Houston. Clearly Larry is an expert and has statistics out the whazoo of how many people move out the city. I'm pretty sure people move out of Houston everyday and new people migrate right to the city. And these bitter and miserable people you hung around with in Houston sound like a bunch of imaginary losers. Only time I hear people around me saying anything negative about Houston is the traffic and humidity. I don't socialize with losers, just never been my forte.

When I first made this thread it was give credit to Dallas skyline. That didn't mean I was stating Dallas was the better city. Trust me with the progressive steps I see Dallas making, Houston is a much better city overall for me. My hometown is a hour and 20 mins from Dallas. If I thought Dallas was better I would have moved there already.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 07-08-2012 at 03:45 AM.. Reason: Orphaned - post comments referred to have been removed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas