Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2011, 09:08 PM

Location: Pittsburgh--Home of the 6 time Super Bowl Champions!
11,310 posts, read 12,395,752 times

Advertisements

What offense in Texas is still punishable by hanging? The law remains on the books!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2011, 09:26 PM

15,567 posts, read 10,577,436 times
Oh, that has to be horse stealing. lol

Old 04-04-2011, 06:56 AM

3,269 posts, read 5,657,234 times
Where (by participant numbers) was the most lopsided battle fought in Texas during the War of Northern Aggression? Please give a quick synopsis of the encounter for extra point credits.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:45 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,651,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Where (by participant numbers) was the most lopsided battle fought in Texas during the War of Northern Aggression? Please give a quick synopsis of the encounter for extra point credits.
Battle of Sabine Pass. All of 47 Texans, under the command of Lt. Dick Dowling turned back an entire yankee invasion fleet consisting of numerous gunboats and 5000 northern troops. Jefferson Davis later said: "Sabine Pass will stand, perhaps for all time, the greatest military victory in the history of the world."

I am going to once again assume I am correct and post the next question:

What was the name of the only man who refused to remain at the Alamo when Travis explained (the famous legend says he drew a line in the sand), that the situation was hopeless and that it appeared no re-enforcements were forthcoming to their aid?

Old 04-04-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
Since TexasReb is out for the day I verified your answer is correct lonestar2007. Your turn.
Before turning in shortly after my reply of last night, I decided I was so wanting to continue this today, that I called in sick this morning! LOL

Seriously, woke up with a damn toothache today and thought, oh man, no way can I teach class today! LOL

Old 04-04-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasGirl@Heart View Post
What offense in Texas is still punishable by hanging? The law remains on the books!
Quote:
Elan replied: Oh, that has to be horse stealing. lol
I too assume this is the correct answer....?

*grins a bit* Y'all all might appreciate and get a chuckle out of this story. I wish I could find the original source to pass it on in entirety, but here is the gist of it (from memory):

Seems a northern reporter was in Texas doing a story on something or other, and was interviewing a county sheriff in West Texas. In this particular county, a guy had just recently been found "not guilty" of murder. The shooter had killed a man he caught in an affair with his wife. At that time -- this was during the late 50's or early 60's -- it was considered "justifiable homicide" according to the Texas Penal Code -- for the husband to kill the male lover if the latter was caught "in the act."

Well, the yankee fellow had recently read that Texas law also considere horse-stealing a capital offence. So he asked the sheriff along the lines of:

"I don't understand how a man can be let off for what seems to me an admitted murder, but Texans can excute somebody for stealing a horse...?"

The country sheriff drawled: "I don't understand your reasoning, son. There are some men who need killing. There are no horses that need stealing."

Old 04-04-2011, 08:59 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,075,714 times
Nice, love the thread idea.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:01 AM

15,567 posts, read 10,577,436 times
What was the name of the only man who refused to remain at the Alamo when Travis explained (the famous legend says he drew a line in the sand), that the situation was hopeless and that it appeared no re-enforcements were forthcoming to their aid?

^ That would be Moses (I don't know his last name), he was a Frenchman. (this event about him is also kinda in dispute if memory serves me correctly). Anybody else know his last name, guess I only get 50% credit, lol.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:23 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,198,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post

^ That would be Moses (I don't know his last name), he was a Frenchman. (this event about him is also kinda in dispute if memory serves me correctly). Anybody else know his last name, guess I only get 50% credit, lol.
What I found was this:

Quote:
Moses Rose - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Louis "Moses" Rose (May 11, 1785 – 1850/1851), also seen as Lewis Rose), known as the Coward of the Alamo, was according to Texas legend, the only man who chose to leave the besieged Alamo in 1836, rather than fight and die there. Some regard him as a coward for having left the Alamo prior to the final battle. He was illiterate and many believe that his tale was embellished by those who were writing on his behalf.[1] Others take the view that Rose appropriately declined to sacrifice his life in a losing cause. Finally, some question the accuracy of this part of the legend.

According to the most commonly told story, Rose was a French Jew, had been a lieutenant in the French army, and had served in Napoleon's invasion of Russia. In 1814, he was named to the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honor) for heroism. He migrated to Nacogdoches, Texas, after Napoleon's fall, and lived in the then-Mexican territory until the age of 51, when the Texas Revolution erupted in 1835.
elan, Go ahead and ask the next question. You answered what you could from memory, that trumps my googling skills. I'm happy to see that this thread is taking off.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:34 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,856,266 times
What is the state's oldest university continuously operating under its original charter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas