Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2024, 06:15 PM

11 posts, read 17,428 times

Advertisements

I retired awhile back and recently got a part time job that has me visiting local highschools.
I haven't been in one for ages. What a shock. The teachers are slobs! Tennis shoes, shorts, tee-shirts and jeans. Not a suit, a tie, a skirt or pant suit in the lot. All the male teachers in my public highschool wore jackets and ties and I never saw a woman in jeans and sweatshirts. Most wore dresses. Things have really changed.

Is this a Minneapolis thing or does the profession dress like this everywhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2024, 08:18 PM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatkatie View Post
I retired awhile back and recently got a part time job that has me visiting local highschools.
I haven't been in one for ages. What a shock. The teachers are slobs! Tennis shoes, shorts, tee-shirts and jeans. Not a suit, a tie, a skirt or pant suit in the lot. All the male teachers in my public highschool wore jackets and ties and I never saw a woman in jeans and sweatshirts. Most wore dresses. Things have really changed.

Even when I retired in 2008, no teachers wore suits and only a few wore ties.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:21 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
I teach in Maui (10 years now).

Most male teachers (including me) wear shorts, and either runners or flip-flops, and a T-shirt. It's not uncommon for boys to show up in board shorts only. We gently remind them to put on a shirt and shoes.

Women teachers and female students also dress casually. With the girls, it's a continual battle to keep them in acceptable attire. Many wear "hoochie" outfits whenever they can get away with it.

The kids here are really well-behaved compared to the miscreants and cretins I taught for decades in California. These kids all swear like sailors, but if you can overlook that, it's really a great place to work.

I've been in the classroom for 42 years and continue only because I still enjoy it.

Old 02-29-2024, 08:49 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I teach in Maui (10 years now).

Most male teachers (including me) wear shorts, and either runners or flip-flops, and a T-shirt. It's not uncommon for boys to show up in board shorts only. We gently remind them to put on a shirt and shoes.

Women teachers and female students also dress casually. With the girls, it's a continual battle to keep them in acceptable attire. Many wear "hoochie" outfits whenever they can get away with it.

The kids here are really well-behaved compared to the miscreants and cretins I taught for decades in California. These kids all swear like sailors, but if you can overlook that, it's really a great place to work.

I've been in the classroom for 42 years and continue only because I still enjoy it.
To each his own, but to me, that's unprofessional.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:05 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
I can understand that in Hawaii. The schools are built so that there is a lot of outdoor space.

Old 02-29-2024, 06:21 PM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:

I wore a tie for years off and on, mostly on. I stopped for a couple reasons: I got tired of getting blood on my clothes, especially the dress shirts, when I broke up fights and we got a new Principal who greeted the students in shorts and sandals the first day of school.

Society changes and what was "required", if you will, when you were in school has changed. In all honesty it made no sense to me when I was in high school for the PE teachers to change in and out of a suit/tie every period for class nor for the Shop teachers to have to put their ties in contorted shapes to not get them caught in the table saw, same with the Science teachers and Bunsen burners.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:27 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I'm on the side of 'dressing professionally.' Even business casual can be very put together.
Did we forget that how we dress can convey alot about how we feel about ourselves? care and self-respect.

This whole thing with people dressing like slobs (everywhere!) is depressing.
While I do understand that how we dress is not necessarily a measure of the man (or woman), it does project a certain sense of ....esteem?.....when we dress well.

If I saw a group of people and needed to go ask a question of one of them, I am probably not going to pick the slob.

Old 04-08-2024, 05:28 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wore a tie for years off and on, mostly on. I stopped for a couple reasons: I got tired of getting blood on my clothes, especially the dress shirts, when I broke up fights and we got a new Principal who greeted the students in shorts and sandals the first day of school.

Society changes and what was "required", if you will, when you were in school has changed. In all honesty it made no sense to me when I was in high school for the PE teachers to change in and out of a suit/tie every period for class nor for the Shop teachers to have to put their ties in contorted shapes to not get them caught in the table saw, same with the Science teachers and Bunsen burners.
well, PE teachers are probably the exception.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:41 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,925,188 times
Quote:

Ok Boomer.

Old 04-08-2024, 07:53 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
In Alaska the tendency is towards casual. Can't say I've ever seen a female staff member wearing a dress. Men will occasionally be seen in a sports coat, nice shirt and tie.

IMO, the physical condition staff presents is of more importance than fashion. Of course, there will always be several "slobs" body wise in the faculty.

But in the end both are relatively inconsequential IMO. A recently retired biology teacher was both overweight and unfashionable, yet widely regarded as an outstanding educator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching