Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 12:01 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeartNox18 View Post
  • Writing apps
  • Tutoring
  • Stock trading
  • Consulting
  • Commissioned Sales
  • Inventing new products
  • Tour guides for private clients (during summer breaks). Pretty common side gig (paid travel + tips)
  • Nanny / private tutor for the ultra rich
  • side business. One teacher friend does epoxy floor finishes for commercial places like Home Depot / Lowes / Costco. Must do it in the middle of the night and on weekends... PERFECT timing for a teacher - by - weekday.
Of the bolded, how many of them do those things on school time with school materials and equipment?

That was one reason we started being issued copy paper individually, a couple of the staff "entrepreneurs" used it all for their side gigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 03:26 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
They're not making more at those jobs than as a teacher.

What the hell are you talking about?
You are wrong. I know a couple of contractors who also teach. Construction pays far more than teaching.
I also know a teacher/bartender who earns more than 100k at a high-end resort. That is common here.
Others are Realtors on the side and earn more.

Old 02-21-2024, 04:57 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
And? What’s the problem?

This is specifically occurring at high schools, as administrators realize that it’s not only possible but more cost-effective to have one sub sit with several classes as opposed to one class. It’s actually a testament to student behavior and engagement. And it isn’t an issue because the students are often completing coursework assigned remotely by their teacher. It isn’t as if the sub is actually teaching several classes of students. Rather, they’re just an adult presence in the room to make sue that students are present and accounted for. I’ve been that sub on many occasions and you *literally* just take attendance, then sit there all day long while the students quietly complete work independently on their computers. Those students rarely ask anything of the sub because, quite frankly, they don’t need anything from them.

Just because a student spends several periods a day in study halls doesn’t mean they aren’t learning by completing work for their classes. In fact, a lot of teachers time their absences to align with student “work days.”
I didn't say it was a problem, just what is happening in schools. I don't agree that much coursework is being done. All teachers are not assigning work in Google Classroom or whatever platform they are using. Most of these students are playing games or watching TikTok videos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
That’s not something I find admirable.
It might be a generational change or might be a result of administrative policies. All I know is that my teachers were rarely out of the classroom during my 13 years from K-12. There were definitely no teacher vacations during the school year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
What the hell jobs are they doing on the side to make more money?
In the school district where I used to live, an art teacher sold real estate. I know one teacher who is a ski patrol. I've know several who work construction. One runs a construction business. I hired him to do roof repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most places don't pay subs so not a surprise. It used to be an okay retirement job where you'd occasionally get called in, get enough money to have a nice dinner at a restaurant, but the hours were too infrequent and pay way too low to really attract anyone except for people who were in school to become teachers or retired people. But now you don't need to be credentialed to be a teacher anymore so the aspiring teachers aren't subbing anymore as they're teaching. The schools don't discipline and expel the kids so it's not worth the money for the retired to put up with it.
It varies across the country. Most districts around me only hire college graduates. Many of the current subs have teaching certificates. There are not that many job openings outside of a few certifications such as Spanish, physics, and information technology.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post

It varies across the country. Most districts around me only hire college graduates. Many of the current subs have teaching certificates. There are not that many job openings outside of a few certifications such as Spanish, physics, and information technology.
Historically in Pennsylvania that's how many teachers got jobs, substitute for awhile (years) until there's an opening.

Interestingly enough, a school district near you had a Social Studies slot open last year for three months until it was filled. That system is twenty miles or so from a state college noted for its Education program (and where I went).

Now, they may have been looking for more than a Social Studies teacher but it wasn't in the announcement.

Or, as the Principal (or whatever he was called at DuBois that year told me) when I asked about filling the opening for the dying guy I was a full-time sub for, "Well you know the football team went 1 and 9 this year".

Old 02-21-2024, 05:29 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Historically in Pennsylvania that's how many teachers got jobs, substitute for awhile (years) until there's an opening.

Interestingly enough, a school district near you had a Social Studies slot open last year for three months until it was filled. That system is twenty miles or so from a state college noted for its Education program (and where I went).

Now, they may have been looking for more than a Social Studies teacher but it wasn't in the announcement.

Or, as the Principal (or whatever he was called at DuBois that year told me) when I asked about filling the opening for the dying guy I was a full-time sub for, "Well you know the football team went 1 and 9 this year".
Yes, many people either subbed or taught in Maryland or Florida for a few years before moving back to PA. I guess a few didn't move back.

Old 02-21-2024, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Yes, many people either subbed or taught in Maryland or Florida for a few years before moving back to PA. I guess a few didn't move back.
I would have lost too much money. And the football team was still 1 and 9.

I also had transitioned from being a hillbilly to being a marshbilly.

Old 02-21-2024, 11:27 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,730,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post

Sometimes districts prefer to hire permanent full time teachers during the regular spring hiring season when they have a much wider pick of applicants than out of season when there may only be a few good candidates who don't already have full time jobs. The picking can be slim if you are looking for a new full time hire in say October. So they might hold the position open until they can fill it through their normal spring hiring cycle.

Old 02-22-2024, 12:21 AM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Sometimes districts prefer to hire permanent full time teachers during the regular spring hiring season when they have a much wider pick of applicants than out of season when there may only be a few good candidates who don't already have full time jobs. The picking can be slim if you are looking for a new full time hire in say October. So they might hold the position open until they can fill it through their normal spring hiring cycle.
my district would not hire a full time teacher for the current school year once we got into February

Old 02-22-2024, 05:37 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Most places don't pay subs so not a surprise. It used to be an okay retirement job where you'd occasionally get called in, get enough money to have a nice dinner at a restaurant, but the hours were too infrequent and pay way too low to really attract anyone except for people who were in school to become teachers or retired people. But now you don't need to be credentialed to be a teacher anymore so the aspiring teachers aren't subbing anymore as they're teaching. The schools don't discipline and expel the kids so it's not worth the money for the retired to put up with it.
Where the hell are you that subs are volunteers? You do need to be credentialed to teach. Again, where the hell are you?

Old 02-22-2024, 06:03 AM

10,350 posts, read 13,928,406 times
Quote:

In the school district where I used to live, an art teacher sold real estate. I know one teacher who is a ski patrol. I've know several who work construction. One runs a construction business. I hired him to do roof repairs.
They're also probably not making more than a teacher (except maybe the real estate agent) when they're working seasonal jobs. Nobody seemed to catch that part of the post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching