Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 12:22 AM

4,379 posts, read 1,694,272 times

Advertisements

I dont understand why school employees give their personal numbers out to parents. I’ve been in the field for 30 years and have never done that. There is nothing going on that can’t wait until tomorrow at 8am. I typically don’t even check my emails at home either. You have to set boundaries, no matter what the parents THINK you should be doing. I work at multiple sites, and after hours, I answer calls from my director or from the dept secretary. Everyone else can wait until tomorrow during working hours. It may annoy people at first, but they eventually learn to respect your boundaries.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 06:17 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stone26 View Post
I dont understand why school employees give their personal numbers out to parents. I’ve been in the field for 30 years and have never done that. There is nothing going on that can’t wait until tomorrow at 8am. I typically don’t even check my emails at home either. You have to set boundaries, no matter what the parents THINK you should be doing. I work at multiple sites, and after hours, I answer calls from my director or from the dept secretary. Everyone else can wait until tomorrow during working hours. It may annoy people at first, but they eventually learn to respect your boundaries.
Some do, many don't. From "popping in" in the middle of class (that was a problem for years until the Beltway Sniper tightened things up although there were still some who had unlimited access) to those who waited in the parking lot at the end of school to those who "researched" their kids' teachers and could tell them where they lived, their kids' names and where they went to church. KI didn't do the last and had several parents over the years ask me why.

This is obviously location dependent. I had a friend who went to work for Montgomery County Schools and she left after a couple years because of the Tiger Moms.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:32 PM

50,770 posts, read 24,270,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Some do, many don't. From "popping in" in the middle of class (that was a problem for years until the Beltway Sniper tightened things up although there were still some who had unlimited access) to those who waited in the parking lot at the end of school to those who "researched" their kids' teachers and could tell them where they lived, their kids' names and where they went to church. KI didn't do the last and had several parents over the years ask me why.

This is obviously location dependent. I had a friend who went to work for Montgomery County Schools and she left after a couple years because of the Tiger Moms.
Oh my -- the Beltway snipers! The police didn't inform me, but for several weeks they searched the woods that bordered our school's property on two sides each morning because they were concerned that as an overcrowded school with trailers, our kids could be targets of the Beltway snipers! And, ironically, several years later when we had to hire a lawyer because of a legal problem my son had, we hired the lawyer who had represented the younger of the two snipers.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:42 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Oh my -- the Beltway snipers! The police didn't inform me, but for several weeks they searched the woods that bordered our school's property on two sides each morning because they were concerned that as an overcrowded school with trailers, our kids could be targets of the Beltway snipers! And, ironically, several years later when we had to hire a lawyer because of a legal problem my son had, we hired the lawyer who had represented the younger of the two snipers.
We were at about 160% of capacity then so had several, ten or eleven, trailers. We brought everyone into the building. What a mess. Our Principal for that was the guy who'd call in to say he was running a little late and show up three weeks later.

One upside to the Sniper for us was it got rid of his idea of a one hour lunch at the same time for everyone. The cafeteria couldn't feed everyone in that time and of course the room couldn't seat them so we had kids all over the school and grounds. That was like herding cats. Since he wasn't answering his phone when it happened the senior VP made the decision to go back to the traditional lunch schedule. It never reverted back to one hour even after he returned (for a week, then he was "late" again).

As a side note, I never realized how many white box trucks/vans there were on the road until then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching