Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 07:49 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times

Advertisements

Are there any works of literature that are prohibited by your school / district? If so, what are they? Why are they banned? How do you feel about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 08:32 AM

12,833 posts, read 9,029,433 times
None that I know of. I do however think there is a difference between "book banning" and age appropriateness for the books provided by a school system to other people's children.

Old 08-10-2023, 11:10 AM

50,762 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Are there any works of literature that are prohibited by your school / district? If so, what are they? Why are they banned? How do you feel about it?
Caveat -- it's been a while.

I was a principal who was put on a committee to deal with approrpriateness of books for the libraries in our county schools. It wasn't so much "banning" as it was about deciding what was age appropriate. I'm pretty liberal, but the idea that a teacher should require 7th graders to read a novel that included a young girl being raped on a pool table (I'm not making that up) was too much for me.

But while I think the current hysteria over what's in a school library is just that...hysteria...I also keep in mind that this is 2023. Is there any book in America today that a person can't get at the library OR through a book seller online? People have options. And not all options have to be sponsored by a local government's or school's library.

Old 08-10-2023, 02:41 PM

1,051 posts, read 1,065,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
None that I know of. I do however think there is a difference between "book banning" and age appropriateness for the books provided by a school system to other people's children.
I was referencing outright bans. I absolutely agree that books should match the ages, abilities, and maturity levels of the students reading them.

I teach Kite Runner in my 11th grade Honors class. I think it's appropriately placed there, but it's not a book I would encourage younger students to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Caveat -- it's been a while.

I was a principal who was put on a committee to deal with appropriateness of books for the libraries in our county schools. It wasn't so much "banning" as it was about deciding what was age appropriate. I'm pretty liberal, but the idea that a teacher should require 7th graders to read a novel that included a young girl being raped on a pool table (I'm not making that up) was too much for me.
That's horrific. I hope that book was taken out of the curriculum. I teach To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th grade Honors, and Mayella's description of her alleged attack is hard for those students to read.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:05 PM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
Well, our school is in the district that kind of started it all, so yes. Makes me ill.

It's fine if you don't want your kids reading something. But you have absolutely no right to tell me that my kids can't read it either. The irony is that none of the books, NONE OF THEM, were required reading for any class, club, group, etc. Not a single child was forced to read any of the books that people lost their minds over.

Old 08-10-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post

That's horrific. I hope that book was taken out of the curriculum. I teach To Kill a Mockingbird in 9th grade Honors, and Mayella's description of her alleged attack is hard for those students to read.
We were fortunate that the 7th grade English teacher who was going to teach the novel came to warn us. The principal tried to gently talk him out of it...to no avail. I, as the vice principal at the time, made it very simple -- "Require that book, get fired". "You can't fire me!" "The firestorm that will lead to newspaper and local media coverage will result in you being gone". (paraphrased)

Old 08-13-2023, 06:37 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
Well, our school is in the district that kind of started it all, so yes. Makes me ill.

It's fine if you don't want your kids reading something. But you have absolutely no right to tell me that my kids can't read it either. The irony is that none of the books, NONE OF THEM, were required reading for any class, club, group, etc. Not a single child was forced to read any of the books that people lost their minds over.
No one is telling you your kids can’t read it. They are saying it doesn’t belong in a school library. There is a difference.

They are also saying there are books that are not appropriate for a teacher to make required reading. Again, they are not saying your child is forbidden from reading it, just that they can’t be mandated to read it. There is a difference.

We are no longer in a day and age where books are so difficult or cost prohibitive to obtain that they must be in libraries or schools for people to access them. No one has forbidden these books from being published or sold online.

School libraries, whether school wide or classroom, need to be age appropriate for ALL the children that have access to them. Ones that aren’t can be gotten from other sources.

Old 08-14-2023, 05:23 AM

45,327 posts, read 60,500,026 times
In my system books weren't so much banned but taken off class reading lists or parents would go to the school's Library to put their kids on a restricted list.

One of the most restricted were the Harry Potter books, at least in Elementary. High schools were a mixture. It didn't really matter because most collections were a decade or more out of date. That's what happens when the Libraries are allotted $0.80/student for new acquisitions.

Old 08-14-2023, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
No one is telling you your kids can’t read it. They are saying it doesn’t belong in a school library. There is a difference.

They are also saying there are books that are not appropriate for a teacher to make required reading. Again, they are not saying your child is forbidden from reading it, just that they can’t be mandated to read it. There is a difference.

We are no longer in a day and age where books are so difficult or cost prohibitive to obtain that they must be in libraries or schools for people to access them. No one has forbidden these books from being published or sold online.

School libraries, whether school wide or classroom, need to be age appropriate for ALL the children that have access to them. Ones that aren’t can be gotten from other sources.
Nicely stated.

Old 08-16-2023, 10:41 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

There is a difference between education professionals curating content to meet the developmental needs of their students and political entities attempting to control access to media.

I also think it's important for students, by the time they are in highschool, to begin to have access to a variety of educational materials representing a wide range of experiences and viewpoints outside of the home and of the control of their parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching