Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 08:24 AM

1,852 posts, read 873,115 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
I haven’t taught at K-12 in many years but I was wondering what I would ever do if I got laid off from my current job. Subbing would be a nice fallback. For those who have left the profession, is it worth keeping your teaching license active for situations like this?

Even after he retired, my dad kept his certification active just in case. When my mother died unexpectedly, he was able to start subbing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2023, 08:30 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
For being a sub, is it as simple as applying at a school district, passing a background check, and them keeping you on a list until they need you? Just wondering how quickly I could get into the classroom and start getting a paycheck in the event that I ever lost my current job.
It will depend. Some places it's that simple after a background. Others require the School Board to approve subs at a meeting.

Fun Fact: had I wanted to sub after retirement I would have had to go through the entire background vetting even though I'd taught 30+ years. My certificate suspension would have been flagged, as it was when I was volunteering as an Instructor for the Department of Natural Resources.

Old 08-11-2023, 02:40 PM

43,055 posts, read 18,231,767 times
Quote:
For being a sub, is it as simple as applying at a school district, passing a background check, and them keeping you on a list until they need you? Just wondering how quickly I could get into the classroom and start getting a paycheck in the event that I ever lost my current job.
Well since you are certified it's a matter of transferring your cert and activating it.
Then it depends on the school district.

Austin...they had lots of subs but that's where I took classes.
Rural counties...they took me right away..3 towns all within 20 minute drive from my house
College Station..I got a full year grant at the middle school there...45 minute drive

My certification was in Math 4-8 and so I was able to teach, not babysit.
Once the teachers got to know me I was even correcting homework while on breaks.

I see you are DFW area ...sorry I'm not familiar with that area at all.

The TEA site is the site for all your "teacher needs".
https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educators

As far as substitute..you need to look at the individual districts to see what they require.

This is Austin ISD website on what they require for their subs:
https://www.austinisd.org/hc/careers/substitutes

And here's College Station ISD sub page:
https://www.csisd.org/departments/hu...itute_teachers

Old 08-11-2023, 02:45 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
I just retired in June after 30 years teaching. I’m in VA. My certification was up and I had everything done to recertify for 10 years so I didn’t see any reason not to. My union reimbursed the fee.

I’m thinking about subbing in the fall. One does not need to be certified to sub and even if you were it wouldn’t get you any more pay in my district. Retired teachers from the district do get a bit more. I applied and did all of the initial online onboarding. I need to provide a negative TB test and get fingerprinted for a background check. After that I’ll go through orientation. There needs to be a 3 month separation before I can start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching