Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2023, 01:23 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,796,404 times

Advertisements

Get out now....and do not get back into teaching. Go do what your dream was before teaching. Did you want to travel? Play music, paint? Work on classic cars, visit all the National Parks?

Do these while you can and forget about the $$..as the old saying goes - "money is a renewable resource, time is not"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2023, 03:23 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,231,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
That's one of the things that I hate about the series Abbott Elementary. They are always leaving their children alone. The other thing is that they leave school for lunch.

In my experience, I've very rarely had a duty-free lunch. In the schools where I've taught, the administration required teachers to accompany their students to the lunchroom when called or at an appointed time during class, remain with them in line, sit at the table with them or just opposite to monitor behavior and ensure that they didn't leave without permission, ensure that the table was clean and monitor them on the way back to the classroom, with the teacher having the option to take their class by the restrooms on the way back to resume instruction. Teachers who needed to go themselves had to find a staff member to supervise for the few minutes that it took.

This is apparently not the norm in states where unions negotiate contracts, but it was the norm in the urban district where I taught for decades.
I meant to add that this was in high school.

Old 06-08-2023, 08:02 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E. Coyote View Post
This is so interesting. I had never thought of these issues. They ought to put a single bathroom in each classroom (for use by students and teachers). It could be used primarily before and after class (otherwise I could see how that would be entirely disruptive in and of itself).

Of course, it really begs the question regarding remote learning. It's possibly more comfortable for all concerned. I realize there are no easy solutions.
Some kindergartens have bathrooms in the room, especially in the older buildings. I've known teachers who were in a rush and would use them too when the students were not in the classroom. Usually, the toilets are child-sized. The reverse is also an uncomfortable experience when the teacher or classroom aide has to lift a small child on to the toilet. Then there is the sink issue when the sinks are too high for little kids and you have to assist with soap and paper towels.

A kindergarten teacher could not use the classroom bathroom if the class was in the room. Not supervising your class will get a letter in your file and you are prohibited from leaving the room for any reason.

As you can see, early childhood teachers have an extra physically demanding job.

Old 06-13-2023, 09:43 AM

313 posts, read 255,537 times
To the gentleman who was asking about teaching into his 80s-please don't. Just please, please, don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching