Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2022, 02:12 PM

841 posts, read 552,824 times

Advertisements

I got a notice from my retirement program around year 19. But it wasn't saying that I could retire right then. It meant that I now had enough years of service, that if I didn't participate in that program another day, at the retirement age of 62, I would have the requirement met with my age plus years of service.

The amount I would get would change based on my years of service, though. It's basically years of service times 2.3% times the average of X amount of salaries. So, 20 years of service would get me less than half of my yearly salary. I think I figured out that 43 years of service was about as close to 100% you could get without going over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 02:46 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
It's a pretty big deal to those of us who are affected.
Yes, it is. https://www.narfe.org/wp-content/upl...er2020Data.pdf
and https://sgp.fas.org/crs/misc/98-35.pdf

Old 04-29-2022, 09:07 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You're in Nevada, one of the WEP states. Do teachers pay into SS there?
No they don't. That's the reason why I let my Nevada certification lapse. As a career changer, I would be severely penalized by WEP.

Old 05-01-2022, 05:11 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
No they don't. That's the reason why I let my Nevada certification lapse. As a career changer, I would be severely penalized by WEP.
Certification shouldn't matter. WEP only applies if you are receiving a govt. pension and SS.

If you withdraw your contributions to the pension program, you should not be affected by WEP regardless of any certifications.

Until around 1990, Ca. teachers didn't earn Medicare either. Many of us had to have secondary jobs to qualify.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-01-2022 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: Added a fact

Old 05-01-2022, 06:07 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Add in “free healthcare” for good measure.
I suppose it depends on where you live. My wife taught for 26 years and her state retirement is less than half her working salary. However, she gets social security, so the two total more than half her working salary. It's still less than a third of my retirement (after 43 years with the federal government).

And health care is far from free. It's much cheaper for me to add her as a dependent on my insurance than it would have been for her to keep her own.

Old 05-01-2022, 06:11 PM

12,963 posts, read 9,478,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
I got a notice from my retirement program around year 19. But it wasn't saying that I could retire right then. It meant that I now had enough years of service, that if I didn't participate in that program another day, at the retirement age of 62, I would have the requirement met with my age plus years of service.

The amount I would get would change based on my years of service, though. It's basically years of service times 2.3% times the average of X amount of salaries. So, 20 years of service would get me less than half of my yearly salary. I think I figured out that 43 years of service was about as close to 100% you could get without going over.
My federal retirement was like that, and I had 43 years of employment. But retirement is limited to 80% of your working salary, regardless of the number of years. One little caveat is that you can use unusued sick leave to add to your service and go slightly over 80%. I suspect that teaching has similar limitations.

When I was in elementary school, all my teachers seemed OLD! They must've been teaching for 60 years or so.

Old 05-01-2022, 08:34 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
I suppose it depends on where you live. My wife taught for 26 years and her state retirement is less than half her working salary. However, she gets social security, so the two total more than half her working salary. It's still less than a third of my retirement (after 43 years with the federal government).

And health care is far from free. It's much cheaper for me to add her as a dependent on my insurance than it would have been for her to keep her own.
Exactly. I don't know of anyone who gets "free" healthcare, but maybe somewhere they do. Some people seem to have gotten that idea from somewhere.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:01 AM

186 posts, read 173,597 times
IF I make it to 25 years and 62 to get full retirement I will get $18000 per year and have to pay for my own health insurance. I put in 6% of my salary to fund said retirement. What you describe would be pretty sweet! Teachers hired after me won’t even get access to the state health insurance.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:12 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andherewego View Post
IF I make it to 25 years and 62 to get full retirement I will get $18000 per year and have to pay for my own health insurance. I put in 6% of my salary to fund said retirement. What you describe would be pretty sweet! Teachers hired after me won’t even get access to the state health insurance.
It looks like you're from North Carolina. You have a REALLY crappy retirement plan for teachers there. Definitely worse than most. It's got to be better if you crossed over a border north, south or west. (I guess east won't work) That sucks.

Old 05-02-2022, 07:45 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Exactly. I don't know of anyone who gets "free" healthcare, but maybe somewhere they do. Some people seem to have gotten that idea from somewhere.
There's a guy here in Southern Maryland who participates on a Forum that's specific to this area.

Anyway, he was going on one time about how teacher pensions and health insurance both being "free". Then I showed him the stats that teacher pensions here are less than private industry with a higher contribution and that private industry and education both have about the same employer paid portion (actually teachers paid 2% more).

He didn't say much after that. His original complaint was that the schools were still remote and teachers wanted to keep it that way so they could screw around at home instead of teach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching