Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2022, 03:46 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
In California, teacher's medical coverage typically ends at age 65. Cops, Fire, and Corrections have it for life.

Teachers have always paid 8% of their gross pay into their retirement. Cops, Fire, and Corrections paid nothing until recently.

Teacher also encounter the WEP (Windfall Elimination Provision) which reduces earned Social Security to a fraction of what they would otherwise receive.
I’m in VA. We can keep or healthcare coverage for life, we just have to pay more for it. For example, the Kaiser family coverage we pay $530/month for would be $1,661 in retirement. For two people it goes from $424/mo o $1,313. For an individual it would be $606.

It’s the same idea with dental coverage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2022, 08:01 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
The big question for retirees is not just what the pension is, BUT can they collect Social Security AND their pension in the state that they're in? Then throw in this little nugget. Does my state tax my pension and/or my social security payments? Here's one more variable. What about the costs of health insurance for the retired teacher? The type of coverage made available changes dramatically from state to state as well.

It's untruthful to make an a blanket statement like the OP did. MASSIVE differences between what a retired teacher can get by simply crossing state lines.
Don't forget about the Windfall Elimination Provision for Social Security. A person in a state retirement system isn't going to get their full Social Security unless they have paid into it for a looong time. Thirty years is a long time. You would need to plan ahead and work a second job that paid at least the minimum qualifying amount into Social security.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html

Last edited by photobuff42; 04-29-2022 at 08:09 AM..

Old 04-29-2022, 08:27 AM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
You guys keep talking about how teachers don't pay into Social Security and are subject to WEP. That's only true in twelve states while in three it depends on the school system. In the rest teachers pay into Social Security just like anybody.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018...ial%20Security.

Old 04-29-2022, 10:24 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,824,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You guys keep talking about how teachers don't pay into Social Security and are subject to WEP. That's only true in twelve states while in three it depends on the school system. In the rest teachers pay into Social Security just like anybody.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/2018...ial%20Security.
It's a pretty big deal to those of us who are affected. I taught in California for 32 years, then moved to Hawaii where I have now taught an additional 8 years. I am currently paying into SS but will be faced with the WEP when I do apply for SS (at 70).

I qualified for SS in California due to summer jobs I held while teaching and work I did before becoming a teacher. It sucks that I currently pay the same amount out of each check as people who will receive full SS, yet I will receive a drastically reduced amount.

I earned it but won't receive it!

Old 04-29-2022, 11:20 AM

Quote:
It's a pretty big deal to those of us who are affected. I taught in California for 32 years, then moved to Hawaii where I have now taught an additional 8 years. I am currently paying into SS but will be faced with the WEP when I do apply for SS (at 70).

I qualified for SS in California due to summer jobs I held while teaching and work I did before becoming a teacher. It sucks that I currently pay the same amount out of each check as people who will receive full SS, yet I will receive a drastically reduced amount.

I earned it but won't receive it!
It's a big deal certainly but my point was that not all teachers are subject to it as is stated as a stone fact time and time again. It's not as pernicious as people saying that teachers retire after 20 years with a pension of 150% of highest salary and free health care but it still needs corrected.

If you qualified due to summer work you may want to check again.

Old 04-29-2022, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
It's a big deal certainly but my point was that not all teachers are subject to it as is stated as a stone fact time and time again. It's not as pernicious as people saying that teachers retire after 20 years with a pension of 150% of highest salary and free health care but it still needs corrected.

If you qualified due to summer work you may want to check again.
I've checked repeatedly and pled my case to SS. I get a teacher pension from CALSTRS so my SS is drastically reduced by WEP.

CTA/NEA have actively tried to get this law repealed for decades, with no success.

Congress is determined to punish us with WEP, calling it "double-dipping". If it affected them, I'm sure it would be repealed.

People in the states who pay SS as teachers get their pensions plus full SS.

Why should I be any different?

Old 04-29-2022, 11:59 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,920,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
Don't forget about the Windfall Elimination Provision for Social Security. A person in a state retirement system isn't going to get their full Social Security unless they have paid into it for a looong time. Thirty years is a long time. You would need to plan ahead and work a second job that paid at least the minimum qualifying amount into Social security.

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirem...anner/wep.html
Good catch on your part. If you're in certain states this can be a big deal.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,252,207 times
Quote:
I've checked repeatedly and pled my case to SS. I get a teacher pension from CALSTRS so my SS is drastically reduced by WEP.

CTA/NEA have actively tried to get this law repealed for decades, with no success.

Congress is determined to punish us with WEP, calling it "double-dipping". If it affected them, I'm sure it would be repealed.

People in the states who pay SS as teachers get their pensions plus full SS.

Why should I be any different?
It's just an example of how the federal government treats citizens unfairly, while they are wasting taxpayer dollars all over the place.

It would be a different story if teachers had not paid into Social Security.

Old 04-29-2022, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photobuff42 View Post
It's just an example of how the federal government treats citizens unfairly, while they are wasting taxpayer dollars all over the place.

It would be a different story if teachers had not paid into Social Security.
You're in Nevada, one of the WEP states. Do teachers pay into SS there?

Old 04-29-2022, 01:30 PM

WEP affects less than 2 million people nationwide and I am one of them. There is a strong movement to repeal it, along with the Government Pension Offset law.

An extra $500 per month for me would help offset inflation being caused by the massive giveaways to people who refuse to work.

https://federalnewsnetwork.com/mike-...ing-the-wep-2/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching