Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 04:05 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I taught in Hawai'i for years, and was so frustrated when people compared straight salaries across regions without taking into account COL.

This link gives some additional information about salaries when cost of living is taken into effect (and Hawai'i goes from a decent looking salary to a really pathetic one-- very accurate, ime).

The first link in this thread was pretty accurate for Hawai'i as far as salaries went.

And, although Oldhag is correct in that states can vary considerably in salary ranges, Hawai'i is one school district with one salary schedule for all. So numbers there do reflect the entire state. Some areas have a slightly higher cost of living, however
Great chart. And NC ranks near the bottom on both charts.....lucky us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 AM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
I always wonder where they get the average teacher salary. In VA they range from area to area.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:15 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Shocked that GA is #6.

Old 12-23-2017, 03:29 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,577,103 times
Sorry to keep asking the SAME question, but I'm just frustrated and I'm hoping someone can give me a straight answer, because right now I just feel like hanging it up and quitting.

I was hired as a teacher at a pretty good school, but I really only understand lesson planning on paper, and I think it's beginning to show. I got a poor evaluation on some very important areas of teaching recently, and I want to fix this problem, because it's really frustrating to not know what you are doing but to be expected to know because you have a college degree and were supposedly "trained," but you feel like you really don't know anything.

I asked the admin for help, and I was pointed toward the "scope and sequence" a list of standards for ELA that I'm supposed to cover broken into six week terms. I'm sorry, but how am I supposed to go from an enigmatic list of vague standards to two well-planned engaging 45 minute lessons per day? I don't think they covered this in college in enough depth for me to really understand, and I'm getting so frustrated that I can't really even think straight. It's the holidays, and I'm stuck racking my brain trying to figure out how to plan the next six weeks.

Is this even the way things are supposed to be, or did the teacher preparation program I graduated from leave something important out? Is this school expecting too much from a new teacher? Do I have any options in a situation like this? Can I maybe sue my college for not training me enough or demand more professional development training from the school that hired me? I wish I could talk to someone and let them know how frustrated I am with this task, but I don't know who I can talk to who won't think I'm just incompetent or lazy or not trying hard enough.

Last edited by krmb; 12-23-2017 at 03:48 PM..

Old 12-23-2017, 07:24 PM

20,124 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krmb View Post
Sorry to keep asking the SAME question, but I'm just frustrated and I'm hoping someone can give me a straight answer, because right now I just feel like hanging it up and quitting.

I was hired as a teacher at a pretty good school, but I really only understand lesson planning on paper, and I think it's beginning to show. I got a poor evaluation on some very important areas of teaching recently, and I want to fix this problem, because it's really frustrating to not know what you are doing but to be expected to know because you have a college degree and were supposedly "trained," but you feel like you really don't know anything.

I asked the admin for help, and I was pointed toward the "scope and sequence" a list of standards for ELA that I'm supposed to cover broken into six week terms. I'm sorry, but how am I supposed to go from an enigmatic list of vague standards to two well-planned engaging 45 minute lessons per day? I don't think they covered this in college in enough depth for me to really understand, and I'm getting so frustrated that I can't really even think straight. It's the holidays, and I'm stuck racking my brain trying to figure out how to plan the next six weeks.

Is this even the way things are supposed to be, or did the teacher preparation program I graduated from leave something important out? Is this school expecting too much from a new teacher? Do I have any options in a situation like this? Can I maybe sue my college for not training me enough or demand more professional development training from the school that hired me? I wish I could talk to someone and let them know how frustrated I am with this task, but I don't know who I can talk to who won't think I'm just incompetent or lazy or not trying hard enough.
In all likelihood your college trained you at the same level as most teachers are trained. Teachers learn most of their skills on the job, not in a class on teaching. Have you thought about asking your principal for a mentor? Surely there is an English teacher in your school who can help guide you, I did it for many, many new teachers through the years.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:09 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,592,094 times
You may want to ask to go observe another teacher. Look at their plans as they teach and see the relationships between the scope and sequence and actual lesson.

Old 03-11-2020, 01:27 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,265 times
(I had mis-posted this on the other sticky)
Question: I have a science degree, and experience teaching college-age, but am now in process of getting my teacher certification for secondary Life Sciences. I can also coach a couple of sports or cheer (preference volleyball).
I have applied to 3 school districts on their websites. Each one has the requirement for 3 references, of course, and the process is long and grueling for those who were kind enough to do this for me. Therefore, I am reticent about applying to even more districts- making them go through it all again.
Someone said to send my resume and cover letter to the principals. This appears to be discouraged when one goes to the employment pages- even said outright "no" on one ISD page.
Anyone have recommendations/thoughts?

Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching