Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 08:39 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA_life View Post
Plan on sticking it out and making it permanent.

I don't mind an older ugly house if it that is an option.

I like being further away from people where possible as well. I know that is not as achievable with a lower dollar amount though.
Once you get a taste of how bad the traffic is here you will change your tune fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 09:00 AM

11 posts, read 10,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Once you get a taste of how bad the traffic is here you will change your tune fast.
I was down there and didn't like it at all just taking 75 South a few miles from Ocala. Even getting onto the highway blew. This was Thanksgiving Break granted.

A commute from my home to DC and especially vice versa is about 2 hours or more and it's only 60 miles.

Do you know if Tampa Bay area traffic is worse than DC metro traffic? I put up with my 2+ hours here and hate it.

Looks like DC area traffic is worse but I don't believe everything I read:

Curious.

Last edited by Yac; 12-13-2023 at 06:18 AM..

Old 12-09-2023, 09:07 AM

30,416 posts, read 21,222,541 times
Quote:
I was down there and didn't like it at all just taking 75 South a few miles from Ocala. Even getting onto the highway blew. This was Thanksgiving Break granted.

A commute from my home to DC and especially vice versa is about 2 hours or more and it's only 60 miles.

Do you know if Tampa Bay area traffic is worse than DC metro traffic? I put up with my 2+ hours here and hate it.

Curious.
Not sure. It was bad in Tampa in the 1960's and got worse until i moved away in 2004. All of FL is bad but maybe not DC bad.

Old 12-09-2023, 09:45 AM

11 posts, read 10,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Not sure. It was bad in Tampa in the 1960's and got worse until i moved away in 2004. All of FL is bad but maybe not DC bad.
That's fair. The wages and sheer amount of jobs are so high relative to local wages that "mega-commuting" is not uncommon. I guess some of us build up a tolerance to that sort of commute. Tolerance disappears really quickly though when you are offered remedies such as Remote Work/Hybrid Work/Compressed schedule or slightly closer work but those options are disappearing quickly.

Old 12-09-2023, 10:36 AM

5,977 posts, read 7,369,688 times
Quote:

Curious.
It really depends on where you're coming from/going to and what time.

I live in a suburban area to the east called "Lithia". There are major arterial roads, but they're woefully inadequate like being rated an "F" based on traffic volume from almost ten years ago.

I regularly commute to downtown Tampa. I leave the area around 6:00 am, and the trip of roughly 18 miles takes about 30 minutes. If I leave downtown Tampa at 3:00-3:30, the traffic is considerably heavier, but my trip home is usually about 40 minutes. Part of the ease of this is due to the crosstown toll road, which allows easy access to downtown and places west and south.

You can come close to doubling those times at peak rush hour. If you live in even more congested areas, like the south county or Wesley Chapel, you're talking close to an hour each way, easy.

I used to visit D.C. for business regularly, but it's been some years. That said, even then traffic was a killer.

RM

Old 12-15-2023, 01:33 PM

984 posts, read 2,711,226 times
Using Google Maps ( on pc is easier) you can put in a start and stop point and the time of day you plan to leave or arrive.
Doing this with places you are looking at can give you a sense of traffic during your expected commute.
These will usually be a significant range like 40-70 minutes. Typically that means you would often see the lower end and in some occassions the higher end. Everything goes out the window if there is a major accident on a major artery as everyone moves onto other options and overwhelms those. Those are more common on the cross bay bridges/causeways. I'd avoid crossing the bay if you can avoid it for a commute

Old 12-15-2023, 04:43 PM

529 posts, read 1,173,784 times
Quote:
Plan on sticking it out and making it permanent.

I don't mind an older ugly house if it that is an option.

I like being further away from people where possible as well. I know that is not as achievable with a lower dollar amount though.
I completely understand your hatred of taking 75 out of Ocala. It’s shut down darn near daily, and yes, it blows. You might consider something along or near the Suncoast Parkway in Citrus/Hernando counties. Easy commute to MacDill, relatively speaking. Presently runs from 275 and TPA up to SR 44. It is a tollway, but may be an answer.

Dax

Old 03-05-2024, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 216 times
Quote:
Hello,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this but I am sure it will get figured out.

I am looking for a single family home that is within 1.5 hours of MacDill AFB and within about 1.5 hours from Ocala and 4 hours from Sunrise, FL and WPB, FL as I have family in both places. It's a shame because Ocala is not too far being around just over 1.5 hours from MacDill.

Family in Ocala picked up a new construction home with 3 bedrooms that is not zero line lot for about 250k...would say they are on 1/3 acre. I'd like to do similar if this contract goes through.

Schools don't matter much....teenager is almost graduated...can go to Penn Foster if the school system is that bad.

Thanks for any ideas.
Did you ever find a place to live?

There's plenty between Macdill and Lake Wales, no need to go that far out though

The traffic comments seem extreme -might be bad for some old timers, but coming from any major city the traffic seems normal to me.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:21 PM

3,398 posts, read 6,079,333 times
Might want to consider Plant City.

Old 03-25-2024, 07:28 AM

22 posts, read 3,966 times
Look on Zillow and use the filters: "Max: $250,000" "Tampa, FL" "Home Type: Houses"

You will see a handful of homes come up. But $250,000 is unfortunately pretty limiting, so what you will see won't be super great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay