Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2021, 08:10 PM

10 posts, read 13,978 times

Advertisements

My husband, American, and I, born and raised in France, are contemplating moving to Northern Florida. Lived 30 years in Coastal California. Tried Arizona where we currently live and it is not for us. We want to find a place where we can semi-retire and stay until the "end". We are well-educated, internationally well-traveled, open-minded conservative, both professionals still working from home. I saw some beautiful houses on Rosehill Dr and around. That is the kind of neighborhood we would chose. We would prefer a very quiet and safe area, with at least 2 to 5 acres for privacy, far from freeways and noise, outside of town, or in a small town no more than 1 hour from shops, doctors, restaurants, etc.

Safety? Mentalities? French restaurants? Cultural life? Weather? What about humidity, mosquitoes, ticks? Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2021, 09:47 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,911,419 times
Tallahassee is a well-educated city and in my opinion is a great retirement destination.

It does have many beautiful neighborhoods, and the tree cover is fantastic. Most of the city is safe as violent crime rates in Tallahassee are very low by Southern standards. There are some sketchy neighborhoods though (mostly on the south side), and the fact that the population skews young due to the universities means that minor property and drug-related crimes can be prevalent in certain areas, i.e. student-heavy neighborhoods. Keeping doors and vehicles locked is a sensible precaution. Outside of the city where you're looking, that won't be a problem at all.

Tallahassee has a hot, humid climate with mild winters. I personally don't mind the heat and humidity. The South is full of insects and home pest control is a must. It's not like out West.

It's not a big city, nor is it a wealthy city; so you can't expect a huge variety of fine dining options and cultural events. That said, it does 'punch above its weight' as they say due to it being both a state capital and the home to two major universities.

I hope you get the chance to at least visit and get a feel for the area to see if it may be right for you

Old 07-19-2021, 10:03 AM

145 posts, read 163,061 times
Tallahassee is still highly affordable compared to the other cities in Florida, and there are quite a few decent homes in the $200-400 range. The closest beaches are around 1-2 hours away, and the city is notable for its extensive tree cover. Thankfully, the city dodged the worst of many hurricanes over the past 20 years. Overall, most of Tallahassee is very safe.

You will also be close to neighboring Alabama and Georgia for many attractions. Tallahassee's hot season mainly lasts from April-October, and winters are very mild with lows dropping into the high 20's. Regarding mosquitoes, they are usually active during the summer months. Tick season lasts from March-October. Avoid the very brushy areas, and you can easily avoid the ticks.

Old 07-22-2021, 08:29 AM
TD*

1,695 posts, read 4,139,627 times
Tallahassee is great. I think you will love it here. Rolling Hills, Dense Tree Canopy, and extensive hiking, Parks and Greenways, are all here. We are also surrounded by beautiful freshwater springs for swimming/paddling/snorkeling and diving. If you like nature and trees you will love it here. Tallahassee also has good medical care, and a lot of amenities and conveniences. There is also many rivers and lakes, and access to the coast is only 40 minutes or so. Come visit and take a look around.

Old 08-06-2021, 09:27 PM

10 posts, read 13,978 times
Thank you for all these messages. It did help!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tallahassee
View detailed profiles of: