Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 07:34 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,703,819 times

Advertisements

I just don't like the idea of a school demanding that you spend $500 on something like that.

Fairview Schools here in Ohio (public school) gives every HS kid a Netbook on the first day. When they graduate they can buy it for $1.00. Seems like a much better idea to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2013, 08:13 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I just don't like the idea of a school demanding that you spend $500 on something like that.

Fairview Schools here in Ohio (public school) gives every HS kid a Netbook on the first day. When they graduate they can buy it for $1.00. Seems like a much better idea to me.
They’re private schools. Public school can’t make such demands; students’ families can’t afford it.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:09 AM

7,246 posts, read 7,079,089 times
Correct. This is for a private school.

But we're getting off topic. The topic is: What additional items would be useful for the ipad air? Case for sure, of course. Case with integrated keyboard? Docking station? Stylus? What else should we be looking for?

Thanks again.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:14 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,297,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kab0906 View Post
Correct. This is for a private school.

But we're getting off topic. The topic is: What additional items would be useful for the ipad air? Case for sure, of course. Case with integrated keyboard? Docking station? Stylus? What else should we be looking for?

Thanks again.
Don’t get carried away. Get the basics and then see what your child needs (or more likely, wants). I have a back-case and a magnetic smart cover for my iPad—and that’s it. On the other hand, I have a laptop for heavy typing.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:50 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default What??

Quote:
What additional items would be useful for the ipad air? Case for sure, of course. Case with integrated keyboard? Docking station? Stylus?
Docking station - No
Stylus - No

I would recommend LEARNING something about the iPad Air BEFORE spending money on it.

Apple - iPad Air

AnandTech | The iPad Air Review

Review: Apple

10 things the iPad totally sucks at | News | TechRadar

Old 11-21-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
Docking station - No
Stylus - No

I would recommend LEARNING something about the iPad Air BEFORE spending money on it.
Thanks for the links. I already read reviews and looked at benchmarks, not that it really matters, since the ipad is what is required for school and we don't have other options.

Hence why I was asking about additional items rather than the ipad itself. I already knew it wasn't good enough alone for note taking on screen and wanted to know if I should go the detachable keyboard route or case/keyboard combo. I also wasn't sure if a stylus was necessary and I ran across docking stations today and just thought I would ask.

Old 11-21-2013, 01:52 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
Quote:
Thanks for the links. I already read reviews and looked at benchmarks, not that it really matters, since the ipad is what is required for school and we don't have other options.

Hence why I was asking about additional items rather than the ipad itself. I already knew it wasn't good enough alone for note taking on screen and wanted to know if I should go the detachable keyboard route or case/keyboard combo. I also wasn't sure if a stylus was necessary and I ran across docking stations today and just thought I would ask.
The iPad comes with a power cord and charger, so anything you buy for it is optional since the onscreen keyboard is quite large (does not need stylus). However, since a stylus-set is quite cheap, it would not hurt to buy a small pack. For protecting the iPad the sort of keyboard you mentioned before is not a bad idea. Some of these boxes come with a very thin acrylic screen protector. For example my iPad 4 has an "Otter" case, and it comes with a screen protector built in, but has no keyboard. It's just a very strong case that is made for regular iPads, not for the very thin "Air." I left my iPad in the plastic bag it's shipped in to keep fingerprints off the screen, and then installed the Otter case. Anyway, buy a screen protector for it, that way when your son clean the screen area he is actually cleaning the screen protector.

But about other things you may need for it, just wait until your son lets you know what he needs, and keep in mind that there is a huge iPad accessories market other than Apple. Check Amazon, Crutchfield, B&H, and so forth.

And I would not pay too much attention to distracting links. After all, you have numerous table manufacturers trying to take the largest share of the tablet market, and the largest share belongs to the iPad. There are numerous apps you can use for note-taking with the iPad.

Last edited by RayinAK; 11-21-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 08:56 AM

15,434 posts, read 25,818,588 times
I would get a case with keyboard if it were me.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:13 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
The best stylus for iPad: we review the hits and misses | The Verge

Keyboards for iPad & Android Tablets - Logitech

Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 AM

Thanks everyone.

The ipad is on order and we looked at a variety of cases. We decided that one with a detachable keyboard would probably work best for school and narrowed it down to just a few on the market.

Last night we found this at the mall: http://tinyurl.com/ly7zqya

It was so light compared to the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Tablets