Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2024, 09:28 AM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times

Advertisements

...see what you think!

I just did some research and found that credible sources recommend the K vitamins (K1 & K2) can be quite helpful in combating and preventing osteoporosis--so just ordered some to try. No reported side effects if taken as directed (unlike some of the prescribed meds). Worth a try.

Here's one med study of several I found of interest: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7645307/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2024, 09:38 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I agree, I'm going the vitamin/weights/resistance route instead of meds. I also just got a weighted vest to help strengthen my spine.

Old 03-03-2024, 11:36 AM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
I'm wondering if you read what you linked:

However, the benefit of vitamin K supplementation for osteoporosis prevention and treatment is still controversial. Some studies showed decreased osteoporosis-related fractures after vitamin K supplementation, whereas others did not get the same results. We need additional clinical research before making a recommendation about vitamin K supplementation for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis

Old 03-03-2024, 03:04 PM

7,115 posts, read 12,654,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old fed View Post
I'm wondering if you read what you linked:

However, the benefit of vitamin K supplementation for osteoporosis prevention and treatment is still controversial. Some studies showed decreased osteoporosis-related fractures after vitamin K supplementation, whereas others did not get the same results. We need additional clinical research before making a recommendation about vitamin K supplementation for the treatment and prevention of osteoporosis
Yep, I read that, thanks! But there are more studies that are quite positive. Not a bunch of studies, cause studies take $$$ and funding for studies of non-prescription treatments are scant.

There are also studies that question the common prescribed medications and their efficacy.

So one has to read widely and make their own informed decision. Me, i usually go with the treatment that offers the most efficacy--and the least dire side effects...

For me and my body, it's "first, do no harm."

Your mileage may vary.

Old 03-03-2024, 04:59 PM

2,889 posts, read 2,137,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Yep, I read that, thanks! But there are more studies that are quite positive. Not a bunch of studies, cause studies take $$$ and funding for studies of non-prescription treatments are scant.

There are also studies that question the common prescribed medications and their efficacy.

So one has to read widely and make their own informed decision. Me, i usually go with the treatment that offers the most efficacy--and the least dire side effects...

Your mileage may vary.
the linked article reviewed several studies so it did what you suggest.

Old 03-03-2024, 07:01 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post

Your mileage may vary.
My body is already harmed, by itself. Nothing external caused my osteoporosis. So "first, do no harm" doesn't apply. The harm has already been done, by my body. Now's the time when I try to slow down the progression. Alendronate is what my doctor prescribed, I've been taking it for a few years now with no side effects that I'm aware of. I believe I take it just for the rest of this year and that's the end of it, since it's only recommended 3-5 years and this my 4th year.

So far - my hip is still almost bone-on-bone arthritis, and my ankle has pronated since I started taking it. But if that's the worst that's happened in the 3+ years I've been taking it, then it's an improvement over the progression of the disease compared to the 3+ years before I started taking it.

Old 03-04-2024, 07:28 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
a lot of my diet is high in k. here's a link to some foods high in k. i've seen some info similar to that in the op. thanks for the thread.

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/vitamin-k2-foods

Old 03-04-2024, 07:30 AM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
I agree, I'm going the vitamin/weights/resistance route instead of meds. I also just got a weighted vest to help strengthen my spine.

nice. do you take whey protein too? imo it's a good general building material for the body to build/maintain the structures

Old 03-04-2024, 08:29 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheka View Post
nice. do you take whey protein too? imo it's a good general building material for the body to build/maintain the structures
Sometimes. Doctor wants me to get 120 grams of protein per day. I've been doing carnivore while I'm home but if I'm traveling I end up supplementing with protein bars/shakes. I use collagen peptides now and then, throwing a scoop in my electrolyte drinks or ground beef.

Old 03-05-2024, 01:20 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Jarrow and Life Extension have products, even if you dont buy them, let you know what nutrients you need
https://www.amazon.com/Life-Extensio.../dp/B009E9YK90

https://www.amazon.com/Jarrow-Formul.../dp/B00SA15ZHY

I would take Life Extension vit D/K2 combo, multimineral(Jigsaw), and calcium/magnesium 1:1 ratio
https://www.amazon.com/BlueBonnet-Ca.../dp/B000POUJSY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements