Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2023, 11:27 AM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

https://stgmobile.jpost.com/health-a...article-757233
Quote:
The peer-reviewed study, published in the Journal of Clinical Investigation, found that the vitamins can stimulate the growth of new blood vessels within cancer cells. These new vessels can aid the cancer in growing and spreading across the body.
Antioxidants usually work by utilizing unused oxygen from other cells, which reduces the amount of oxidative stress. Oxidative stress can damage DNA and cause increase the risk of cancer.

“We’ve found that antioxidants activate a mechanism that causes cancer tumors to form new blood vessels, which is surprising since it was previously thought that antioxidants have a protective effect,” said author Martin Bergö to New Atlas. “The new blood vessels nourish the tumors and can help them grow and spread.”
Based on professional knowledge. This we very surprising.

We will learn more and more as time goes on and more studies are concluded
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2023, 11:51 AM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Most vitamin pills have ingredients sourced from China, or are made there entirely. Personally, I don't want to ingest anything that comes from China...you really don't know what you're getting.

Old 09-03-2023, 12:34 PM

17,534 posts, read 13,324,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Most vitamin pills have ingredients sourced from China, or are made there entirely. Personally, I don't want to ingest anything that comes from China...you really don't know what you're getting.
I hate to tell you this but most of the generic drugs that you may be taking are coming from Chins (or India)

When I left corporate sales and sales management and went back into pharmacy for 6 years before I retired in 2015. Neither Walmart or Humana where I was a Clinical Pharmacist source from China. Now, because of price that has all changed.

A good friend that just sold his retail store always refused to buy drugs from Chinese manufacturers. His last 2-3 years in the store, he couldn't find non-Chinese drugs in several classes of meds. That's when he pulled the plug and sold!

But, to get back on topic, it doesn't matter where the antioxidants come from. This article referenced in OP shows a direct correlation between vitamins and their feeding, or causing, cancers should not be overlooked.

MrsM and I will reassess what vitamins that we continue to take

Old 09-03-2023, 12:46 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
They can pretty much do any study showing that anything increases your risk of cancer.

Old 09-03-2023, 01:13 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
I hate to tell you this but most of the generic drugs that you may be taking are coming from Chins (or India)
No need to hate, I absolutely agree, which is why I avoid taking drugs of any kind - we don't know what's in them or where they come from. I'm even reluctant to take ibuprofen or aspirin and try to cope naturally with normal aches & pains.

Quote:
A good friend that just sold his retail store always refused to buy drugs from Chinese manufacturers. His last 2-3 years in the store, he couldn't find non-Chinese drugs in several classes of meds. That's when he pulled the plug and sold! But, to get back on topic, it doesn't matter where the antioxidants come from.
Well there ya go. The topic of the study is interesting and something to think about, but...
"the vitamins can stimulate the growth of new blood vessels within cancer cells"
So don't take the vitamins. Most are unnecessary, as a balanced & healthful diet provides the body all the nutrients it needs.

Gently spread the toxins to an unsuspecting public, then reap the massive financial rewards when they come back for "health care".

Old 09-03-2023, 03:53 PM

3,121 posts, read 2,063,897 times
The link between taking isolated high dosage antioxidants (Vit C, beta carotene, etc.) and increased cancer growth was discovered about 25 or so years ago.

Apparently many people believe that if something is good for you, then more of it must be better. The supp industry perpetuates and preys on this ignorance. I am not against supps, or the industry, just that the vast majority are grossly excessive dosages.

From the article:

"There's no need to fear antioxidants in normal food, but most people don't need additional amounts of them," said Borgo. "In fact, it can be harmful for cancer patients and people with an elevated cancer risk."

There is evidence that getting antioxidants from food reduces cancer risks. You won't consume too much nutrients with a balanced diet. Humans require balance. Taking high dosage supps is imbalanced.

The benefit of getting antioxidants from whole foods is that you also receive an abundance of other important nutrients that the supp alone does not provide. With foods, we don't get just one isolated vitamin/mineral but a synergistic effect of the vitamins, minerals and co-factors in the food working together.

Old 09-04-2023, 01:30 PM

1,972 posts, read 1,099,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
https://stgmobile.jpost.com/health-a...article-757233Based on professional knowledge. This we very surprising.

We will learn more and more as time goes on and more studies are concluded

Study just mentions vitamin C, E, and NAC

Many people take NAC daily, but I would cycle it unless sick, or once a week. Personally I don't take it unless sick. Most people do not get enough C(1-3g daily, more if sick), E depends on your diet
https://www.longecity.org/forum/topi...by-derek-lowe/
One theory with NAC, it prevents cells from dying that should die which then become cancerous

"The best guess is that cell senescence pathway that seemed to be inhibited with the NAC: some of these are in fact cells that should have died and didn’t, and went on to become cancerous:"

Keeping your Vitamin D(most people are deficient) levels up would really help with stopping cancer, as well as quercetin, EGCG, and curcumin.
https://t.co/yt8cSHX3n2

Last edited by Rom623; 09-04-2023 at 01:41 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 01:35 PM

In my opinion it is worth taking

A multimineral vitamin
Vitamin D/K2
Magnesium
Cod liver oil(omegas3 and natural A)
3 500mg C. 1 with each meals
Choline(can do through diet(eggs/broccoli) but most are deficient

If older
NAD+ booster, pine pollen or DHEA, and collagen

Again, I would take NAC if sick(along with much more D-20kIU and 1g C powder every 30 minutes)

Last edited by Rom623; 09-04-2023 at 02:08 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 01:39 PM

What other nutritionist take

How to build your own multivitamin(very good website)
https://thehealthbeat.com/how-to-mak...min-with-food/

Andrew Weil
https://www.drweil.com/health-wellne...tamin-routine/

Rhonda Patrick
https://fastlifehacks.com/dr-rhonda-...plements-list/

Chris Kresser(9 steps to perfect health)
https://chriskresser.com/9-steps-to-...lement-wisely/

Chris Kresser in the link above believes in nutrients from food(although food has less nutrients due to aggressive farming)
He believes in supplementing
Vitamin A
Vitamin D
Vitamin K2
Magnesium
Vitamin C

Old 09-04-2023, 01:41 PM

Weston Price did a comparison of 11 non industrial cultures and found they all received fare more vitamins than their counter parts - See this link
https://thehealthbeat.com/how-much-c...ditional_Diets

Here are the first couple
1. Native Eskimos: 5.4x calcium, 1.5x iron, 7.9x magnesium, 1.8x copper, 49x iodine, 10x vitamin A, 10x vitamin D

2. Indians of Northern Canada: 5.8x calcium, 5.8x phosphorus, 2.7x iron, 4.3x magnesium, 1.5x copper, 8.8x iodine,10x vitamin A, 10x vitamin D

3. High Mountain Swiss: 3.7x Calcium, 2.2x phosphorus, 2.5x magnesium, 3.1x iron, 10x vitamin A, 10x vitamin D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements