Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2023, 03:12 PM

322 posts, read 285,905 times

Advertisements

Organic food based d3 along with k2 org/food based. 2 or 3 times a week. (Skin cancer.) I also take cod liver at times instead of d3-
But i take many supps. Getting ready to order routine blood work and might add d3 to find out where Im at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2023, 02:21 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,336,506 times
I take a basic costco brand multivitamin, magnesium, glycine, and eat a clean diet. I also eat a diet high in Betaine (Aldi brand Bran Flake Cereal) and Choline (Organic certified Humane eggs)

You can get most of your needs from a good diet high in antioxidants. Besides these things, I put tretinoin that I get from an online pharmacy on my face at night mixed with Cerave lotion and use sunblock on my face which I import from Europe, where they have better sunscreens.

I used to take more stuff, but I've cut back.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:26 PM

3,486 posts, read 2,480,227 times
So, the OP's post was dated August of 2022.

I don't want to experiment with the medical rabbit hole today. But my question:
If there are two massive studies in The Lancet, and a massive new study in NEJM, why are you supplying links from Forbes Magazine - one of which is from 2013?

Without having read any of the sources in this thread, I'll say - I don't think anyone "needs" extra vitamins unless they are deficient. If they're deficient in a nutrient that the body needs in order to be healthy, then sure - they should supplement in some way. Whether eating different food, getting more sun, taking a tablet, chewing a chewable, injecting a whatever. Whatever your licensed medical professional recommends, that you are on board with. If you need it, take it. If you don't need it, then taking it is just wasted money and a *potential* for harm in the future.

Old 10-25-2023, 12:41 PM

1,169 posts, read 644,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

If there are two massive studies in The Lancet, and a massive new study in NEJM, why are you supplying links from Forbes Magazine - one of which is from 2013?

Without having read any of the sources in this thread, I'll say - I don't think anyone "needs" extra vitamins unless they are deficient. If they're deficient in a nutrient that the body needs in order to be healthy, then sure - they should supplement in some way. Whether eating different food, getting more sun, taking a tablet, chewing a chewable, injecting a whatever. Whatever your licensed medical professional recommends, that you are on board with. If you need it, take it. If you don't need it, then taking it is just wasted money and a *potential* for harm in the future.
That is my general consensus after reading newer studies.

For the average person, the best route is to get most if not all of your nutrients, vitamins and minerals from natural sources.

Basically our bodies have evolved to get say Vitamin C from an orange. But it's much more than Vit C, it's fiber, it's all the other nutrients that come in that package.

The modern thoughts are that Vitamin D may be deficient in people, esp in the norther hemisphere during the non Summer months. Therefore a supplement may do good in that area.

The problem with modern society is that we eat so much ultra processed foods devoid of nutrients and chock full of sugar, fat and salt.

Then we probably need a "supplement" in a form of multivitamins to fill in the void.

Eat mainly whole foods and eat as much variety as possible and make sure you get some sun and drink water and I think most people are okay without multivitamins.

Old 10-28-2023, 10:41 AM

61,976 posts, read 87,635,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

This ^^^^^

American food is already "enriched" with many plastic vitamins from Asia. No need to take even more. I am pretty sure we are already overloaded with them. Since so many foods are "enriched" do we even know how much of it we already take daily?

Just eat proper food that will supply your body with plenty of natural vitamin and minerals. There is no reason not to eat healthy, but it's your informed choice.
Still, buying more plastic vitamins that don't even properly dissolve or absorb in your body takes a toll on your liver.

Also, people should pay attention to proper pairing vitamins. Some needs to be taken with or without food for optimal absorption, some shouldn't be taken together with other vitamins because they cancel each other. Others should be paired together for better body absorption. And there are vitamins/minerals that are absorbed better than others.

Just an example:
Let's look at calcium. The best absorbed calcium is calcium citrate which isn't a natural form of calcium but a calcium compound bound with citric acid. However, because calcium citrate is only 21% calcium, you may need to take more tablets to get your daily requirement. It might also upset your stomach.
For calcium absorption you should take it with vitamin D and magnesium.
Now, magnesium chloride is better than oxide and sulfate forms.
As of vit.D - 20 minutes in the sun ( with exposed skin that is not covered with sun blockers) is enough for your body. But if your sun exposure is limited, you might need to supplement it. Take organic vitamin D. - Magnesium Glycinate Chelate is a good option.

Calcium is best absorbed when taken in 500mg doses, not 1200 mg at once.

So, you see if you really want to help your body, you shouldn't just buy the cheapest multivitamin but educate yourself about them to make the best of it.

(Free printables from Internet):

"Yummy" synthetic vitamins:

Example of nutrition label on natural vitamin/minerals supplement

https://www.amazon.com/Garden-Life-M...ref=mp_s_a_1_1

Always consult your doctor, because some supplements interact with medications

Details here:
https://www.uspharmacist.com/article...s-and-minerals

Pinterest has lots of informative charts.
https://id.pinterest.com/pin/825706912908985929/

Stuff to read:
https://www.todaysdietitian.com/supplements_index.shtml

Last edited by elnina; 10-28-2023 at 11:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Supplements