Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2024, 04:27 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times

Advertisements

If you win your Confrence in 1st place, you should automatically be in the March Madness bracket.

The Confrence Division 1 tournaments at the end of the season should decide the remaining 32 teams, based on the winners and 2nd placed teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2024, 10:40 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
I agree, prime examples are UC-Irvine who ran through a regular season record of 24-9 but lost in their conference semifinal and Indiana State U who went 28-6 losing in their conference final to Drake.

Old 03-18-2024, 04:37 PM

2,576 posts, read 1,747,929 times
USF Bulls won the Confrence, but lost their semi final game also. Now USF is in the NIT. That nobody cares about or even will watch.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:06 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
USF Bulls won the Confrence, but lost their semi final game also. Now USF is in the NIT. That nobody cares about or even will watch.
I actually enjoy the NIT, and there is (or used to be) a belief that the winner of the NIT was Final Four bound the following year. It's still an achievement just to play in the NIT Final Four at Madison Square Garden in NYC, and shouldn't be looked down on.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:42 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobisinthehouse View Post
If you win your Confrence in 1st place, you should automatically be in the March Madness bracket.

The Confrence Division 1 tournaments at the end of the season should decide the remaining 32 teams, based on the winners and 2nd placed teams.
One or the other. 32 auto qualifiers is plenty. There is no way in hell that tourney is going to get loaded up with a serious majority of mid and low major teams. This year the Big 12 and SEC both got 8 teams in, 16 total. In your plan they would have only gotten in 4 total. The MWC got 6 in that's likely a record for a mid major.. Your idea is DOA.

Old 03-19-2024, 05:21 PM

77 posts, read 24,146 times
The regular season needs to be incentivized much more so by the NCAA and these conferences. The revenue from television can’t be dismissed from these conference tournaments. But at least in the mid and low major conferences, the schedules should be round robin, home and away vs every conference foe. Winner gets a bye to the championship final, perhaps even on its home court. Everyone is happy now.
Also, there are too many I-A teams now, hence too many conferences. Generally the last at-large buds were going to teams I didn’t think were very worthwhile. But now this year, I’m amazed at the quality of teams who didn’t make it even within the context of knowing we had a lot of bid stealers the past week. Providence, St John’s, PC, The Hall, Indiana St, and Oklahoma were quality teams were plenty good to make it not long ago.

Old 03-20-2024, 08:25 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invisible_Sun View Post
The regular season needs to be incentivized much more so by the NCAA and these conferences. The revenue from television can’t be dismissed from these conference tournaments. But at least in the mid and low major conferences, the schedules should be round robin, home and away vs every conference foe. Winner gets a bye to the championship final, perhaps even on its home court. Everyone is happy now.
Also, there are too many I-A teams now, hence too many conferences. Generally the last at-large buds were going to teams I didn’t think were very worthwhile. But now this year, I’m amazed at the quality of teams who didn’t make it even within the context of knowing we had a lot of bid stealers the past week. Providence, St John’s, PC, The Hall, Indiana St, and Oklahoma were quality teams were plenty good to make it not long ago.
You can add Cincy at #37 to that list. They play in the NIT tonight.
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports