Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2023, 04:55 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,716,485 times

Advertisements

This is why autistic kids need so much support throughout childhood, including early diagnosis and life coaching. You didn't have time to make sure she got the life skills she needed as a child, or started habits related to the importance of communicating with family.

I would have made sure she had a phone as a teen, giving me location access. That's the only way I could track mine around town.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:02 AM

17,349 posts, read 16,492,563 times
Your daughter sounds like a strong willed young lady who sets her mind to doing something and then does it. That's not necessarily a bad trait and hopefully as she matures she will start to think things out a little better and learn to use some patience.

Obviously, she has decided to make herself unavailable to you and that is her choice. The best thing that I could advise would be to make sure that you remain available to her if she does ever decide to reach out to you. Keep a social media presence, maybe share some pleasant details about what is happening at home - pictures of your garden, a new pet, a fun trip, etc. Just keep it light and enjoyable.

Old 05-08-2023, 11:24 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
Your daughter sounds like a strong willed young lady who sets her mind to doing something and then does it. That's not necessarily a bad trait and hopefully as she matures she will start to think things out a little better and learn to use some patience.

Obviously, she has decided to make herself unavailable to you and that is her choice. The best thing that I could advise would be to make sure that you remain available to her if she does ever decide to reach out to you. Keep a social media presence, maybe share some pleasant details about what is happening at home - pictures of your garden, a new pet, a fun trip, etc. Just keep it light and enjoyable.
I think my aforementioned friends with a daughter like this should do as you suggest, but the daughter is off FB and now they are too. If they just kept that pathway open, she would have a road back. My friends have moved to a different state, and they don’t think their daughter even knows.

Old 05-25-2023, 10:45 AM

5 posts, read 8,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
This is why autistic kids need so much support throughout childhood, including early diagnosis and life coaching. You didn't have time to make sure she got the life skills she needed as a child, or started habits related to the importance of communicating with family.

I would have made sure she had a phone as a teen, giving me location access. That's the only way I could track mine around town.
I never said she didn't have living skills. I assumed she was dependent on me because I asked her all the time if she want me to do something for her so she didn't have to worry. You don't know what I did to make sure she is okay throughout her entire childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Special Needs Children