Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 04:13 PM

107 posts, read 278,969 times

Advertisements

Hi folks! I have done some postings and for the last 3 months I have loaded myself down with packets from more states than I care to mention.
We have lived in CA,TX,OR, and AZ. Currently we are back in TX due to the fact it was the only place hubby could find lots of work, he works for an HVAC company installing heating and a/c.

Is there much biz for that out there?

As we age and our daughter is 5, we are looking for a spot to call home, I wanted to move to SD back in the 80's, but never got my chance, I was SO close too...anyway.

We want a place that has many family activities, outdoors, indoors..culture, like Pow Wows, museums..etc...
Lots of parks to enjoy.

We will be bringing a horse, where is a good place for horse related activities?

We like to bowhunt, again where is a good spot?

The weather..ah yes...well, we do not mind heat as long as it isn't outrageously muggy/humid. We as I said are in Texas and YUK, enough already.

Snow is fun as long as it doesn't snow you in for days and weeks at a time. (gotta work after all)

Fresh air, mountains, lakes, fishing, we want it all!
And of course GOOD schools.

We are not high class folks, middleclass, barely!!

Does this sound like any area in SD???

I anxiously await your replies and my packet from SD.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 04:17 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,791,304 times
Sounds like Rapid and the hills would be the place for you.

Old 07-06-2009, 04:31 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,451,343 times
Yup, what RJL said. The Hills area is exactly what you're looking for. Check out this link.

https://www.city-data.com/city/Rapid-...th-Dakota.html

It's set on RC right now, but you can check out other towns in that area right through that link. Look the area over and let us know what you think. If you have any questions about it, we have a few members from that area that would be more then happy to help you. We've got plenty of room for you up here.

Old 07-06-2009, 05:24 PM

509 posts, read 1,349,974 times
If you want room for your horse, I'd actually suggest a town that doesn't get mentioned a lot on here, Hot Springs, its in the southern part of the Black Hills and they have that Wild Horse Sanctuary down there and I think land may be cheaper as well....just a thought....

Old 07-06-2009, 05:30 PM

I will sure look that over, it looks VERY promising!! Sure thanks for the help..oh one other question, may be sort of strange, but does SD allow fireworks at your house? We grew up buying and shooting off fireworks on the fourth..can't do it here in Texas! We want our little one to enjoy that experience too.

I love the attitude Jammie! We want to be somewhere that accepts us and we can make friends! Here I am sad to say that if you do not belong to the local Baptist church then you are nobody..can't get a job and they treat our little one differently.

I am going to investigate the area of RC and see the job situation there and the weather.
If any of the membrs from that area can help with tips and tid bits I would appreciate it!

Thx RJL and Jammie

Old 07-06-2009, 05:49 PM

DJ- will take a look there, I see RC is kind of pricey on housing..I wonder how it is to find a place to rent that allows critters.

Old 07-06-2009, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadwoodJ View Post
If you want room for your horse, I'd actually suggest a town that doesn't get mentioned a lot on here, Hot Springs, its in the southern part of the Black Hills and they have that Wild Horse Sanctuary down there and I think land may be cheaper as well....just a thought....
The sanctuary is not intended for boarding of horses. Also check out Hermosa, my home town. There is quite a bit of equine activity in and around Hermosa. Also Piedmont is pretty horse friendly too.

If you are in the Black Hills Fire Protection district no fire works are not permitted. The eastern boundary is west of Highway 79. A lot of that depends on the weather and fire danger index too outside the district. Not sure what is permissible in the cities like Rapid City or others.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,515 times
Default 2nd

I would give a second to either Hot Springs or Hermosa. Both are in horse country and a banana belt so you should be able to enjoy both the weather and your favorite activities.
uh

Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM

Depends on what you do if you would want to live in Hot village (springs) or Hermosa. Hermosa is 15 miles from Rapid and on a 4 lane highway too.

Old 07-06-2009, 07:30 PM

ok GREAT...what are your opinions of places like Sioux Falls and the Yankton area?
I like Sturgis just cuz of the bike rally...but not sure what it would be like to live there. Have never been, only seen pics. (of Sturgis). I should also clear up that we like mountains, especially within distance to go to for nature trails and snow fun..but really do not want to live on the side of a mountain.
checking out the other three options you mentioned....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota