Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 01:58 PM

49 posts, read 139,157 times

Advertisements

I so agree that the three CEOs and their private jets is outrageous. However, the UAW leadership union guys that are always whining on TV with the likes of Barney Frank (who also has managed to get pretty wealthy as a "public servant" ...gag... over the years live VERY high on the hog as well. Their salaries, bennies, etc. need to be brought to light as well. $73.00 per hour is OUTRAGEOUS. (My brother, a board-certified physician, now an ER doc makes that!) We have friends who worked for Ford - they told us about the job banks. You get paid even if you aren't working. For heaven's sake - how can ANYONE justify that?????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 03:07 PM

5,488 posts, read 12,280,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knittie View Post
We have friends who worked for Ford - they told us about the job banks. You get paid even if you aren't working. For heaven's sake - how can ANYONE justify that?????

Well, if you watched the Senate hearings, Chris Dodd didn't seem to think it was such a bad idea that not only do these guys get paid outrageous wages but they get paid when their plants are "idle." He called it "taking care of people."

Last edited by cobolt; 11-20-2008 at 04:14 PM..

Old 11-20-2008, 04:03 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,517,102 times
Well, at LEAST they got turned down for the moment. Sadly, they can come back in early Dec. Bet they've got their little cry story all prepared. This time they'll leave the corporate jet at home and drive there in some little ole Pinto or something. Unfortunately, I'd guess they'll end up getting some $$. They don't wanna compromise and it doesn't sound like the Union wants to compromise either. Just unfortunate that the morals or pride Americans used to have just isn't there anymore. Fifty years ago people were ashamed to file bankruptcy or to have to ask for a handout. Not that way anymore.

Old 11-20-2008, 04:17 PM

5,488 posts, read 12,280,691 times
I wish they'd just turn them down NOW and be done with it. GIving them a month to get their "stories" together and come up with their "plan" is just bad news. Who is to say that they'll keep their word? I wish the Govt would yank the bailout money or fine those who abuse it: such as AIG. Once they saw the bonuses, junketts, etc they should have been slapping on the fines. This is what happens when you GIVE AWAY money. Even loans have conditions. Heck, when you go to the bank for a small business loan, you have to present a plan. These guys want a "bridge loan" and they don't have a plan? I mean...really?

Old 11-20-2008, 05:13 PM

464 posts, read 1,358,432 times
It doesn't make any sense for us tax payers making minimal money, to bailout a company so that the CEO's can continue living their extravagent lives. They should all take a pay cut to $100,000 at least, then use that money to fund their businesses.

Old 11-20-2008, 06:34 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,745,107 times
Does anyone else wish this new Congress and President would hurry up and get in there before our current ones drive us deeper into the rabbit hole???

Old 11-20-2008, 06:55 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,517,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Does anyone else wish this new Congress and President would hurry up and get in there before our current ones drive us deeper into the rabbit hole???
Yes, I'm ready for the new Administration to take over. The only problem is that a few days ago, they said that Pres-Elect Obama was in favor of helping the three companies. Today they did say that he would want conditions attached, but I haven't heard what those conditions are.

Honestly, we've got such a mess that it'll be interesting to see just how much the new Adm. can do. Sorry to be so pessimisstic (sp?), but we've got problems.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:18 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,421,587 times
Jammie, I too was disappointed that Obama was in favor of bailing out the Big 3.
Strict conditions need to be put in place.... no more luxury vacations/bonuses for those %&$# CEOs .
It's scary seeing everything just fall apart... Watching the national news or going to CNN.com or the like is just mind-boggling with all the bad news.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,745,107 times
The only thing about this decision is that it's not black and white. On one hand, if we bail out these companies millions of jobs will be saved and there is a dim chance that American autos will change for the better. On the other hand, if we let these companies fall Americans will not have a major financial strain and these CEOs will get a good slap of reality.

It's just unfair and absurd that this is a decision being weighed on the American people. I'm not for people losing their jobs and I'd hate to see that happen but if that's the lesser of two evils then so be it.

Old 11-20-2008, 10:37 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,421,587 times
Good post Danny... I'd give you rep again, but I can't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota