Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2008, 01:49 AM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times

Advertisements

There are many great eating places in South Dakota and outside of South Dakota. Many chain restaurants are good places, but a number of the local restaurants in South Dakota and elsewhere are awesome in their own right (and have a touch that the chains do not have).

My favorite eating places in South Dakota include:
Non Chain- Hartford Steakhouse, Bob's Cafe in Sioux Falls, China Express in Sioux Falls, Mexico Veijo in Vermillion, and Wonderful Garden in Pierre.
Chain- Culver's (Mitchell is the best and Sioux Falls are decent), Pizza Ranch, Sonic, and Stanford's Pub and Grub (Spearfish).

My favorites outside of South Dakota:
Non Chain- Trail's End in Rock Port, MO, restaurant in Amite, LA (cannot remember the name) that served chicken and Lousiana food, Guadalajara in Ankeny, IA. There are some very good Mexican restaurants in Southern Kansas and Oklahoma. I also liked eating at a microbrewery in Upstate NY.

Chain- Bob Evans (common in IL, MO, KY and therebouts), Steak N Shake (common in IL, MO, KY and thereabouts), Braum's (Kansas/Oklahoma/Texas), and Runza (Nebraska).

I curious about what restaurants are favs in South Dakota elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2008, 04:44 AM

509 posts, read 1,349,449 times
I like Golden Corral and Shoney's......Shoney's is big down south, they have the best bacon and breakfast buffet! I always ate there when I lived in Virginia or went back to visit.....Theres also a place on the west side of Custer, I can't remember the name....it was pretty good....I also love Famous Daves

Old 07-27-2008, 08:13 AM

19,723 posts, read 10,494,104 times
HURON SD..........Prime Time......they only serve prime Rib, or Filet mingoin, depending upon the night........baked potato & a salad...........liquor also.........

Old 07-27-2008, 11:33 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,436,311 times
Pizza Hut for me. I also like Perkins. I'm a vegetarian so I don't frequent the steak houses. Just give me a clean place that serves a few veggies and potatoes and I'm just fine.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:46 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,922,728 times
I normally have good luck at Perkins. I have been wanting to stop there recently but have not got around to doing it. Had some Taco Bell and was not too bad for fast food (cheap and tasty), but I do that once in awhile.

For ice cream, B&G Milkyway in Sioux Falls is the best. I love having either a regular chocolate cone or a chocolate cone dipped in chocolate (double trouble ).

Jammie, I like the Culver's and Taco Bell in Mitchell and stopped there often when I interned in Pierre and lived there for a short time (on my trips back to the Sioux Falls area and Vermillion). What puts the icing on the cake are the friendly people in Mitchell. I should make a little daytrip there sometime.

MJ1986, Bob's is opening a second location in Sioux Falls and is supposed to be on Marion Rd., south of 12th St. near the Get N Go (in the strip mall north of it-after the Thirsty Duck). I would like to stop by once it gets up and going. The Argus Leader had an article recently about Bob's in the business section.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,712,662 times
My absolute favorite restaurant in Rapid City is Delmonico Grill, but I rarely go there because it's easy to blow $75 for two people. I like the Alpine in Hill City because it's AMAZING and I've never gone over $20. My favorite SD chain restaurant would probably be either Olive Garden or Sanford's. I think Sanford's is just around the Black Hills though.

Outside of SD I like:
1. P.F. Chang's
2. Macaroni Grille
3. Smokey Bones
4. Bennett's BBQ
5. Benihana Japanese
6. Biaggi's
7. HOOTER'S!!! Haha! Just Kidding, but why does ND have 2 while we have none. Imagine a Hooter's in Bismarck... WOOF!!!

Old 07-27-2008, 08:30 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,585 times
Chris, I saw that in today's paper. The extra seating is definitely needed.

Funny you posted this today, I got back from eating at Bracco's a little while ago. It was the first time I've eaten there...It was interesting! It has a unique, tropical/Caribbean atmosphere. A little spendy, but it was a nice blend of different flavors and tastes that I wasn't used to.

I only have "fast food" maybe once a month...if that.
But if I do, I like Taco John (Potato Oles!) or Culver's. If I'm feeling like being healthy , I like Jimmy John's or Quizno's. For sit down eating, I like HuHot, Chili's or Old Chicago.

For non-chains, I like Tomacelli's Pizza in SF (Best pizza ever!) and Bob's Cafe in SF. I also like the restaurant in Al's Oasis and Bob's Steakhouse near Gettysburg, overlooking the Missouri River.

Old 07-27-2008, 10:40 PM

Chris, come on over. I agree with Taco Johns being good. I love their potato oles.

I have been racking my brain trying to remember the name of the little place in Sx. Falls that we like to eat at. It's fairly near the airport and is close to Falls Park. It isn't fancy at all, but they have the best spaghetti and also breakfasts. They would be known for their evenings of "All you can eat". Actually, you can't even finish the amount that they give you, but offering seconds is probably good for business.

We like the restaurant/deli at Falls Park, too. It's neat to dine there because of their outdoor seating near the Falls.

When we were out in the Hills and stayed in Spearfish, we ate at~you guessed it~Perkins. LOL There was also a cool restaurant in Deadwood~the one where you have to go up the rickety old stairs. Once you got inside, it was very surprising cause the food was good and it was nice up there.

Old 07-27-2008, 11:04 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,408,585 times
Hmmm... Jammie I can't think of the restaurant you are referring to... Maybe the Roll'n Pin on Russell Street... It's right by all those hotels...I had the best pancakes there!
Too bad you aren't good with streets
Hopefully, Chris should be able to pinpoint this restaurant...

Old 07-27-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ1986 View Post
Hmmm... Jammie I can't think of the restaurant you are referring to... Maybe the Roll'n Pin on Russell Street... It's right by all those hotels...I had the best pancakes there!
Too bad you aren't good with streets
Hopefully, Chris should be able to pinpoint this restaurant...
I'll ask DH tomorrow. He probably remembers the name of it or the street. Not only am I bad with streets or roads, I have no sense of direction either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota