Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 06:53 AM

2 posts, read 25,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfwd View Post
I am currently looking for a place to call home. I am 29 years old and single. I have 12 years Customer Service Experience and 4 of those years in Management and a degree in Computer Information Systems. I currently live in Atlanta, GA and I am from Canada originally. I am thinking of SD because of the low unemployment rate and I am working in retail and I would like a change. What is the major industry in SD? I want to start looking now since I have 5 months on my apartment lease and I would like to find a job and hope to move there then. What cities are best for jobs? Anything helpful I would glad to hear feedback. Thank you.

Truthfully, I am having a hard time thinking why anyone your age would want to move here...There is a low unemployment rate because there are not that many people here...You can get a good job, but the pay rate here is lousy..Honestly, I have such a culture shock going on here...Even the larger cities are expensive, and the pay is low..Just make sure you get a good offer before you decide to come, and make sure you get it in writing.. Most midwesterners love it here, but I am from the Pacific Northwest, and have been in this small town, and have a real problem...The people are very nice, honest Christian people..But, the problem is that they are all Sheep farmers, cattle ropers, goat ropers, wheat farmers..I was able to buy a home here for 12,000.00 in Lemmon, where we moved..I go to movies on Friday nights, and my whole life centers around my living room...Yes, SD is a nice place to retire, but if you are just starting out, check out Portland, Oregon, Vancouver, WA...That is the up and coming town...Vancouver, WA is across the river from Portland, and it is beautiful with lots of job opportunities.\
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2008, 06:58 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,722,629 times
^ Well of course you stay in your living room if you live in Lemmon! What else can you do?!

Now, if you live in Sioux Falls, Rapid City, or any other larger city you will find out that there are lots of fun things to do for a young person. In Sioux Falls there are nightclubs and bars, bike paths, shopping, restaurants, and much more. Rapid City is the exact same plus all of the recreation that comes with the Black Hills. Add skiing, snowboarding, snowmobiling, hiking, mountainbiking, rockclimbing, waterskiing, wakeboarding, and even windsurfing to your list if you choose Rapid City, Spearfish, or another Black Hills town.

I hope you'd end up in Sioux Falls or Rapid City anyway. I can't see a career really succeeding in our small towns.

Old 03-09-2008, 10:14 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,927,912 times
Not all of South Dakota is rural and the cities such as Rapid City and Sioux Falls have activities. Both cities have a sizable population of younger people to network, those in the movingfwd's age group. I live in Sioux Falls and see a lot of younger people in my age group and know of a few college and high school buddies who moved to Rapid and love it there. Both cities have a promising future and are affordable and have good-paying jobs to live a comfortable life.

Other smaller cities such as Aberdeen, Watertown, Mitchell, and Yankton have outdoor activities nearby and have other activites and have quite a few younger people. Not as much to do, but still are nice, safe, affordable cities with character. These cities have the Wal-Marts, K-Marts, home improvement centers, larger supermarkets, JC Penneys, fast food restaurants, reasonable restaurant selection, movie theaters, and many friendly and genuine people.

Smaller towns are cheaper and safe, but take awhile to assimilate and adjust. Many small towns have friendly people. The people have a "were in it together attitude" when it comes to civic pride. In places such as Lemmon, Martin, and Eureka, it takes a hardy personality to fit in well. beebop1950 has valid points, but I disagree on the generalization of South Dakota as a whole and trying to discourage movingfwd from moving to South Dakota. I understand that South Dakota is not for everyone, but it may have something to offer to movingfwd. For a number of newcomers I have come across, South Dakota is a "diamond in the rough" and the state's qualities grow on them over time. These people often appreciate the good qualities: safe and clean cities, friendly and caring people, affordable and reasonable living (not having to make 50-60K a year just to make ends meet and to live in a safe and clean area). The other states that are more urban in nature often have the "keeping up with the Jones'" attitude in some respects and lack things that are truely important such as civic pride and communities banding together in disaster or when someone is severly ill.

South Dakota in general is not a barren wasteland that the only way to make a good living is to farm or ranch and those who do not do that are poor.
There are small business owners, bankers, school teachers, government workers, mechanics, pharmacists, doctors, dentists, electricians, and construction workers who work hard and live a decent life and are not dirt poor. The state has been working in the past few years to improve the reach of higher education to its rural residents in places such as Lemmon, Martin, and Gettysburg through the interenet and correspendence courses.

South Dakota has plenty to offer. For those who like economic opportunities and a progressive atmosphere, Sioux Falls and Rapid are the best choices. For those who like a reasaonable amount of ammenities with a slower pace of life with steady but strong economies, then Yankton, Watertown, Aberdeen, and Mitchell may be good choices. Small towns are good choices for those who like a slower pace of life and those who are entreupeneurial and hardy in spirit and South Dakota can always use this type of person to grow South Dakota.

South Dakota is a great state with a proud past and a promising future and it take optimistic people to help South Dakota reach its full potential.

Old 03-10-2008, 08:00 AM

77 posts, read 251,003 times
Default South Dakota does have great qualities.

Chris 19 is correct in saying that South Dakota is a great place for many people to live, but I still could never recommend it to people without first considering their likes and dislikes and what they want available to them. Reasons why I would live there would be: my family is there, it is extremely safe, there are many economic opportunities, and the people are very kind. Reasons why I am hesitant to move back are: I like the ocean, I like good public transportation, I like being in a big city (more than 150,000 people), I love architecture, and I like a climate that is a bit more temperate. I may very well move back someday, but not without carefully weighing my options and the pros and cons of different locations. All of my good friends left after high school and almost none have returned. There must be a reason for this.

Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM

38 posts, read 176,059 times
Default Small towns vs. Big cities

I know I left my small town when I turned 18, many moons ago....

I have lived in major cities and frankly, it is getting old. Crime, too long in traffic, housing expenses, etc. Sometimes, less pay does not mean one does not enjoy life, I know I love a simpler life. Cities do offer quite a bit to do & see, more employment opportunities, higher pay, etc. I agree. Small towns also have a charm, friendly atmosphere, and slow pace of life.

What about the taxes (state, property, etc.) in South Dakota? Any weird taxes for being self-employed? I am doing research, but I enjoy reading local's thoughts....I am the type who wants to hear the real deal!

Are there good hiking trails in Rapid City/Spearfish? I enjoy hiking a lot!

Thanks!

Old 03-12-2008, 09:21 AM

13,495 posts, read 37,462,342 times
Curosi, you're in luck. We have no state income tax. Our property taxes are a bit high because of that though. I think it varies by county, but it's normally a bit over $20 per 1,000. We do get a break because it's reduced by one third. I don't remember the specifics of it, but hopefully someone does.

If you don't mind the weather, come on home. It's still pretty peaceful and fairly crime free here.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curosi-dee View Post

Are there good hiking trails in Rapid City/Spearfish? I enjoy hiking a lot!

Thanks!
Not only are there hiking trails in Rapid City and Spearfish, but there are dozens throughout the Black Hills. The Mickelson Trail is a major hiking/biking trail that runs through the middle of the Black Hills starting in Edgemont and ending near Spearfish. The Blackfoot Range near Harney Peak has trails that lead to mountain summits. There are various paths that lead to amazing panoramic views. Rapid City has a bike path that follows the Rapid Creek through the middle of the city. It is such a forested and lush path that you'll forget that you're actually in the middle of town!

My favorite trail is the Harney Trail that takes you to the top of Harney Peak.

Old 03-12-2008, 07:00 PM

1 posts, read 20,673 times
Default How about Kadoka??

I am moving a good friend of mine back to Kadoka this May. Hopefully the snow will be gone by then. She was born and raised there, and wants to return. I think i would enjoy the solitude of a small town like Kadoka, but my wife would go nuts. The question i have, is, does anyone know if Kadoka has many registered CNA'S? I know there must be a few. My friend will need one there. Thanks, and see you soon. Bob

Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 PM

I don't know for sure if there are any CNAs in Kadoka, but I'd imagine that there are in the area. The closest hospital to Kadoka is in Philip and people from that region are often Life Flighted to Rapid City. I think Kadoka has a nursing home so yes, there has to be at least one CNA.

Old 03-13-2008, 12:06 AM

38 posts, read 176,059 times
Thumbs up Hiking, etc.

Wow! The hiking trails sound awesome!! When I visit I cannot wait to hike a trail or two or three..... Who has the upkeep of the trail systems? City? BLM?

Thanks for the info on taxes. I have lived in 6 US states and some have all kinds of taxes one has to pay for being in business and when you are a small operation...it wears thin! I was just wondering if South Dakota is good to small business? Believe it or not, some states are not good to small businesses. It is great that there is no state income tax. Well, I guess some taxes do provide good roads, police & fire protection, etc. One must not grumble too much for these things, yeah?

Anybody on the forum have positive comments about being self-employed in South Dakota? Or are you working so hard that you do not have time to be on the computer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota