Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2008, 12:39 PM

116 posts, read 340,772 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Computers??? We had never heard of them when I went to grade school. Of course, that was back in the 60s.

You guys had it pretty uptown with indoor bathrooms and stuff.
Jammie! Ma and Pa want you to get back to the little house right quick to babysit Carrie and Grace!

lol (couldn't resist)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2008, 03:49 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColeSD View Post
Jammie! Ma and Pa want you to get back to the little house right quick to babysit Carrie and Grace!

lol (couldn't resist)

http://bestsmileys.com/cheering/2.gif (broken link)

You guessed it. Laura and I were friends back then.

Old 02-03-2008, 05:03 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,428,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by egg man View Post
I taught in one room country schools across our state over the years. I'm curious how many people here attended a one room school in our state. If you care to share, where was it? There are still a number of one and two room schools in this state.

I don't think there's anything like a country school. I have yet to run into anyone who didn't have a good experience in country school.

I have a webpage on one room country schools where I've posted pictures of them. I have some that I'm looking for yet.

So, let's hear about our country school experiences.
Wher's a link to your webpage?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Jammie.

Not in So. Dakota but in Michigan I attended a 1 room school, 1 teacher, 6 classes. It was called "Selma 5". There was a "Selma 4" also.
Big play ground. It looked more like a country church.
On the wall above the chalkboard was a "paddle" engraved on the paddle was,
"The Board of Education, To The Seat of Understanding"
Here a Picture of our "1961" year book
I'm still intouch with some of these people.

[IMG]Selma 5.jpg[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails
Country Schools in South Dakota-selma-5.jpg  

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-03-2008 at 05:36 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 05:53 PM

OMG, I love the yearbook. Unfortunately, we didn't have one, but we did get our pic taken every year. I still have the pics from all my little friends back then. Thank you for posting that.

Old 02-03-2008, 07:53 PM

4 posts, read 10,667 times
Default Country Schools in South Dakota

Wow there are still country schools huh? I went to the Bench School in Meade County back in the early 60's. I went there for all of 1st grade and then they closed the school. My teacher was Mrs. Poor. She was wonderful!!! I became a great reader and pretty good student thanks to her. There were 10 kids between 1st and 8th grade at the beginning of the year, but by the end of the year only 2 of us were left, me a 1st grader and Fred McPherson an eighth grader, who drove himself to school!!!
The school building was moved on to our old ranch years later and is completely gone now. Wish I had a picture of it but I don't.
Linda

Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM

Linda, I think that they've closed down all the country schools in So. Dak. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Back in the 70s there started to be fewer of us farm kids because farmers were buying larger equipment and farming more acres then in the past. That happened soon after I was out of grade school. It seemed like the taxpayers felt they couldn't keep supporting the little country schools anymore cause there were so few children. Kinda sad, but I guess that's life.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:24 PM

I had one of the complete school and playground. This is all I could find.
This was taken about 10 years after it closed down, around "71".
Someone was living in it.

SELMA#5

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-03-2008 at 08:43 PM..

Old 02-03-2008, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Linda, I think that they've closed down all the country schools in So. Dak.
Quote:
Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Back in the 70s there started to be fewer of us farm kids because farmers were buying larger equipment and farming more acres then in the past.
That happened soon after I was out of grade school. It seemed like the taxpayers felt they couldn't keep supporting the little country schools anymore cause there were so few children. Kinda sad, but I guess that's life.
It's called, "Corperate Farming" Corperations started to buy out Independent Farmers like us and then that's where all of the farm equipment came in.
To stay afloat, independent farmers had to grow and harvest more crops in a shorter amout of time. To do this, Larger and more efficient equipment was needed.
I was with the "Dept, of Agriculture" in Ca.
I hated to see the small farmers get wiped out.
We had a Dairy Farm in Michigan.

Last edited by mkfarnam; 02-03-2008 at 09:00 PM..

Old 02-04-2008, 07:41 AM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
I'll admit, having lived in SD for a few years, and near most of my life, I can't think of anywhere there are still country schools. But I by no means know the state well enough to say for sure!
Nebraska still has quite a few though, particularly in the Sandhills where people are so far from town, and so sparsely populated.

Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 AM

190 posts, read 433,643 times
I knew of two country schools in S Dak about 10 years ago. Both were between Belle F. and Buffalo. Dont know if they are still going or not. Back then I recharged fire ext. on site. At both schools the entire school came out to my truck and watched. The teacher said that the children would have to write an essay on what they seen. I think thats the only time anyone ever payed attention to what I did. I was only in the "spotlight" for 15 minutes.
Bob
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota