Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 10:39 AM

445 posts, read 317,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchooler67 View Post
I don't think many MLS clubs would have qualified for the Champions League in the first place.
He means the English Championship - the 2nd division there. Not the UEFA Champions league.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2023, 01:46 AM

1,397 posts, read 675,712 times
Messi debuts with Inter Miami today against Cruz Azul at 5 p.m. PT/8 p.m. ET.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:27 AM

6 posts, read 3,330 times
Messi's move to Miami seems like a smart play for him. The pressure and spotlight will be way lower compared to Barcelona or PSG. And the league isn't as physically demanding at his age. He can dominate games without having to run around like a madman on defense.

I'm curious to see how his presence affects the overall quality and popularity of MLS. Having a global icon playing every week is huge. But will it actually make the level of play that much better? Or will it just be the Messi show each game?

Either way, it's a big win for MLS and Miami in terms of attention.

Old 07-29-2023, 08:05 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Well, it looks like he’s a pro playing at a family BBQ, but he looks truly happy and the fans love it, so that’s all that matters.

Old 08-24-2023, 06:47 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedona Sage View Post
I'm curious to see how his presence affects the overall quality and popularity of MLS. Having a global icon playing every week is huge. But will it actually make the level of play that much better? Or will it just be the Messi show each game?
One month later and 8 games player with 8 wins ... seems to be going very well

Last edited by Dopo; 08-24-2023 at 06:57 AM..

Old 08-24-2023, 05:25 PM

8,660 posts, read 3,856,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
One month later and 8 games player with 8 wins ... seems to be going very well
It’s certainly going well (and the fans, no doubt, love it as well as his teammates); however, they’ve won five of eight with Messi (three draws).

Old 08-24-2023, 08:27 PM

14,673 posts, read 14,633,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
It’s certainly going well (and the fans, no doubt, love it as well as his teammates); however, they’ve won five of eight with Messi (three draws).
Penalty shootout victories are wins

Old 08-24-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Well, it looks like he’s a pro playing at a family BBQ, but he looks truly happy and the fans love it, so that’s all that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Penalty shootout victories are wins
Regarding Leagues Cup, yep; but it’s a bit misleading to imply it is relative to regular-season MLS play. Had it been five of eight in regular season (three draws), that isn’t akin to playing at a family BBQ, lol. In other words, is it all that matters, per your post? I don’t agree, but I am playing devil’s advocate in that I feel it almost worsens the level of MLS, as a whole, when legends land here to semi-retire; it creates a drastic imbalance in the league (and even on said team) - if not physically, at least mentally (and sometimes both). Remember when Beckham signed with LA Galaxy?

That said, nobody cares about Leagues Cup; it typically attracts significantly less viewers than even regular season MLS.

Last edited by CorporateCowboy; 08-24-2023 at 10:25 PM.. Reason: added last sentence

Old 08-26-2023, 11:32 AM

18,126 posts, read 25,269,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Regarding Leagues Cup, yep; but it’s a bit misleading to imply it is relative to regular-season MLS play. Had it been five of eight in regular season (three draws), that isn’t akin to playing at a family BBQ, lol. In other words, is it all that matters, per your post? I don’t agree, but I am playing devil’s advocate in that I feel it almost worsens the level of MLS, as a whole, when legends land here to semi-retire; it creates a drastic imbalance in the league (and even on said team) - if not physically, at least mentally (and sometimes both). Remember when Beckham signed with LA Galaxy?

That said, nobody cares about Leagues Cup; it typically attracts significantly less viewers than even regular season MLS.
Even better than that
Miami has a huge challenge, the season is 34 games, they have played 22 games and are at the bottom of the Eastern conference.
Miami has 12 games left to try to get into the playoffs
Keep in mind, Miami just beat Cincinnati in the US open cup.

Old 08-26-2023, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Miami has 12 games left to try to get into the playoffs
If they pull-it-off (or that folks are even discussing such), it speaks to my point all the more.

Quote:
Keep in mind, Miami just beat Cincinnati in the US open cup.
Yeah, nobody cares about that, either; typically, you don’t (even) see the first-choice players on the pitch relative to such (in order to give them a rest).

As much as I like soccer (or perhaps it’s because I do), I don’t like that it takes hype re: a semi-retired superstar to conjure up (temporary) interest in the sport here whilst it simultaneously creates a huge imbalance in the league. Hence, I say bring on (real) football and the Niners! :-)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Soccer