Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2024, 05:36 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Their original Schematics of "everything for one price" was the draw in for consumers.

With these variables in costs- It will be a tough sell for the thrift shoppers who WERE Their already loyal clients.

An old saying holds true- Your best clients are the ones YOU Already Have. Loyalty hasn't changed.

They are turning into a Dollar General- Which started out under the same premise.

I often think of the days of K-MART- These two stores mentioned above are the step sisters of this marketing style.

I can't imagine with shelf space already limited how they will Bump out certain products and increase pricing to draw in more of the Supposed - Medium income.
I think inflation and shrinkflation has already made their cost point untenable. For me it wasn't the other dollar stores gradually adding on quarters to their cost but back when the 99 cents store changed and it seems as every price is now $X.99.

At $7.00 I would bet that anywhere in the US you can still get out the store at less than $10.00 with sales tax added for any given item. Set the price any higher you run into increasing probability that some city or county will add enough to the local tax to put items above that significant $10.00/piece price point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2024, 10:29 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Maybe with the higher priced items they can use the profits to hire some cashiers to run the registers.

We actually have a new Dollar Tree near me, but I have put my items back and walked out the last two times I went
in there because I am not going to wait in line behind 10 people. Nothing Dollar Tree has that I want that bad. Four registers up front, but always just one cashier working, and god help you if someone ahead of you in line wants a bunch of birthday balloons blown up...........

Maybe they could staff their stores if they paid more than $8 an hour.

I'm kinda with you on this. I try to stop in there when the parking lot is empty.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:55 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Our local Dollar Tree has a "Dollar Tree Plus" aisle with higher-priced items. I presume these are mostly located in more affluent stores.
Every DT I have been in has them, and my regular DT is certainly a low income store.

Old 04-01-2024, 12:59 PM

12,104 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Quote:
Maybe with the higher priced items they can use the profits to hire some cashiers to run the registers.

We actually have a new Dollar Tree near me, but I have put my items back and walked out the last two times I went
in there because I am not going to wait in line behind 10 people. Nothing Dollar Tree has that I want that bad. Four registers up front, but always just one cashier working, and god help you if someone ahead of you in line wants a bunch of birthday balloons blown up...........

I stop by a DT in a low income area on a regular basis. The guy who seems to be the senior cashier said that they can't get anybody who is willing to work for whatever they pay. I have walked out a number of times as well.

Old 04-04-2024, 05:45 AM

19,697 posts, read 20,221,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Our local Dollar Tree has a "Dollar Tree Plus" aisle with higher-priced items. I presume these are mostly located in more affluent stores.
Same here. We've got a few aisles. This started during the pandemic.

(Not anything I would buy or need/want.)

Old 04-05-2024, 06:16 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
It turns out that it was mostly a southwest US regional store but the 99 Cents Only stores I mentioned earlier had switched to selling products at $x and 99cents because of inflation as what was there at $0.99 to attract customers is closing shop and has started liquidating.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...es/ar-BB1l7pq8

Old 04-05-2024, 07:54 AM

9,523 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I rarely go in a Dollar Store and never go in Dollar General. My view is if The Dollar Store is going to a new pricing concept. Then The Dollar Store has no business calling itself such. It needs to change its name.

Old 04-06-2024, 08:05 AM

33,324 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:

The day after this thread started I needed a 9 volt battery for my digital scale. I went to two different Dollar Trees that I'd never been to before (not more than a few blocks out of my way for either re coming from an Apple Store I was patronizing).

Both stores were closed.

I thought perhaps the whole chain was closed for a day to 'change from $1.25 to $1.50'.

I had reason to go back to one of those shopping centers (to a different business), and on each of those days, that Dollar Tree was closed. Each time, as on the first day, there was a hand written sign that read " Closed _________ (with only that day's date written after the word closed)".

I just reread the OP more carefully, and it looks like there isn't a specific date for the $1.25 to $1.50 change other than 'this year'.

I wenr into a Dollar Tree yesterday and got two 150 calorie each bags of Skinny Pop white cheddar popcorn and they were $1.25 each.

After reading your post above, I'm wondering if the day closures of those two Dollar Trees I went to in the same day, and later back to the same shopping center where one of them is located, was because of a staffing shortage.

Old 04-13-2024, 10:22 PM

2,042 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I stop by a DT in a low income area on a regular basis. The guy who seems to be the senior cashier said that they can't get anybody who is willing to work for whatever they pay. I have walked out a number of times as well.

Dollar Tree is the only dollar store in my area and it's a dump. Up until a couple years ago everything was $1, now it's $1.25. I don't shop there often, mostly for reading glasses and Ziploc baggies. Most everything is else is crap I don't need, or is the same price at the grocery store so I get it there. I'm curious to see if they "upgrade" to higher priced items as mentioned in this thread.

They've had the same employees there for quite a while and I can only guess that they're unemployable anywhere else. It's an odd bunch from young to old. It's gotta be depressing to have to work there...so much clutter and disarray, and the front doors are so filthy I don't think they've been washed in five years. When I leave I always push the door open with my foot, that's how nasty they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products