Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2022, 11:15 AM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Truly amazing some of these young people. I'm so sorry your daughter has to work so hard. It shouldn't be that hard.

And let's turn the strip malls into dog parks! I vote for dog parks everywhere!
Oh it's not all young people! There are plenty of 40 and 50 year old who do the same thing. I went to a hospital for testing yesterday and the 40something checking me had her phone on her desk and I could read her text messages. She was staring at her phone while checking me in. God forbid she waited until finishing checking me in to check her texts. It took less than 2 minutes to check me in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2022, 11:16 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Yes, true. And the store where I work has a bunch of young people who show up and work hard.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:32 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,332,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Oh it's not all young people! There are plenty of 40 and 50 year old who do the same thing. I went to a hospital for testing yesterday and the 40something checking me had her phone on her desk and I could read her text messages. She was staring at her phone while checking me in. God forbid she waited until finishing checking me in to check her texts. It took less than 2 minutes to check me in.
I honestly think those things should be banned from the workplace. NO ONE should be playing with a mobile whilst working. No one could have gotten way with such things at any job in my day. The world has changed so much....

Old 08-10-2022, 11:46 AM

11,175 posts, read 16,013,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar 77 View Post
Does anybody see the "frog in the boiling water" happening going on here?
Based on the fact that this 25¢ increase was the first increase in 35 years, I'd say that it is going to take that frog quite a long time to boil.

Quote:
I like Dollar Tree, and since I am single this doesn't affect me as it does families/multiple people households. At my age I can weather it, but those coming up behind me are in for a harder life and don't realize it...
All because Dollar Tree raised their price? LOL

Quote:
...because they are slowly being conditioned to accept what is being done to the masses by government.
By the government? I didn't realize that the government owned Dollar Tree or was even on the Board of Directors.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:59 AM

11,001 posts, read 6,865,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post

By the government? I didn't realize that the government owned Dollar Tree or was even on the Board of Directors.
Surely you realize that this was a generalized impression and statement and not specifically and exclusively regarding Dollar Tree or the government?

Old 08-10-2022, 02:07 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,249,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I honestly think those things should be banned from the workplace. NO ONE should be playing with a mobile whilst working. No one could have gotten way with such things at any job in my day. The world has changed so much....
I have rather unfortunate history with hospitals right now, it’s only been three years since I lost my husband. And especially at a hospital, they are actually using cell phones in the hospital for hospital business. At least they were in California. In the emergency room there would be a little ping The admittance guy would look at the phone and then stand up and call for a patient and take them back into the ER.

My niece just had to go in the ER, and I took her. Once again totally different hospital staff, totally different state. They are using that technology in the hospital now. Don’t make the assumption that the staff are playing on their own cell phones doing their own stuff.

https://www.computerworld.com/articl...tions.amp.html

Old 08-10-2022, 02:10 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,616,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post

They are using that technology in the hospital now. Don’t make the assumption that the staff are playing on their own cell phones doing their own stuff.
In my case, this was a personal text and not work related. Remember, I said I could see the text?

Old 08-10-2022, 02:40 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Based on the fact that this 25¢ increase was the first increase in 35 years, I'd say that it is going to take that frog quite a long time to boil.

As usual, you totally missed the whole point. SMH........

Old 08-10-2022, 02:42 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,503,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Surely you realize that this was a generalized impression and statement and not specifically and exclusively regarding Dollar Tree or the government?
No, he doesn't. He almost always misses the points in many poster's posts.

Old 08-11-2022, 03:40 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
This is just a rant, so you may not want to bother reading this.

I have been a loyal Dollar Tree customer for years and I really got some good bargains for $1. Some of my regulars were painting tools (brushes, rollers, roller covers), cleaning products & supplies (LA Awesome Cleaner, bleach, laundry detergent, brooms, toilet/dish brushes), food items (dried beans, Libby green beans, 79 cents) canned tomatoes, tea, spices, one quart bottles of lemon & lime juice, not reconstituted), personal care items (deodorant, toothpaste, cotton pads, OTC meds) misc. household (ziploc bags, trash bags, food containers).

It was understandable, I guess, that during the covid years that merchandise was scare. But in the past year, all items are now $1.25, many items are out of existence, or have been scaled down to not even be worth the price. My favorite box of green tea bags now contains 60, not 100. Stick deodorant & body powder contain less. Laundry detergent is about 1/4 size than before, just a few examples.

The stores I frequent used to be clean with merchandise organized neatly on shelves, clean restrooms, but not anymore. That part I understand...I'm sure the wages are crap & there never seem to be more than 2 employees in the store.

I don't know what genius came up with this business plan, but I can't see the store sustaining itself. Anyway, I am done.

Maybe it's my area, but products you mentioned are not cheaper at any dollar store, they're cheaper at Walmart. Things like toothpaste, spices, OTC meds, cleaners are less at Walmart. Colgate was $3 something for 3 large tubes at Walmart, the tube you buy at a dollar store is tiny compared to them. Good if it's needed in a pinch but to use every day, you'd be throwing a lot of money away.

My daughter runs out of tampons every now and then, dollar tree is around the corner, half the time they're out of them. I think they give 8 for $1, Walmarts cheapest pack is under $4 for 32. While it's convenient to run over there in a pinch, it adds up. Same with toilet paper there, the package they sell, the rolls are so small that they may equal one and a half rolls of what you buy at Walmart. Before COVID Walmart used to sell it by the roll, I'm not sure if they still do that. They also had a 4 pack that was larger than the dollar store for not much more.

I can buy 200 Walmart brand Motrin for $1.88. I believe their generic Tylenol, Aleve and Advil are the same price.

I've never bought deodorant there, can't comment on that. Walmarts every day prices are decent for it.

Walmart sells their brand cookies for a lot cheaper per package than what you buy at dollar stores.

I'm not saying that everything is better priced at Walmart, I'm saying you really have to know prices of both stores before spending money at a dollar store. Some things can be found there that Walmart doesn't sell. I've gotten stuff like that years ago, but the quality of the dollar store products has gone way down hill, especially for their baskets and bins to organize with, even their food storage is a cheap quality. Some of it cheaper quality then those Hefty or Glad brand "throw away" containers. I've had some for 15 years that I use regularly that have still held up.

The one thing I buy at a dollar store near me is Gatorade with the drink bottle lid which is not cheaper than buying Gatorade at Walmart. I reuse the bottles for my grandson for school, no one else sells the drink bottle Gatorade. I can't find a drink bottle as big as the Gatorade one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products